Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 AM

9 posts, read 10,957 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are ready to leave New York State for semi-retirement. We currently live in a fairly hip and vital small town setting about an hour from Manhattan. We love New York --the people, lifestyle, environment, entertainment and restaurants -- but can't do another winter. We're leaning toward a home on 1/3-1/2 acre in San Antonio, Fair Oaks Ranch, or Boerne. We're professionals of moderate means. My husband is a native Texan, transplanted long ago to New York. I've lived in several states over the years. At 21, I lived in Houston for two years, where I quickly and cruelly learned I was a damn Yankee, but times change and hopefully so has Texas. We're friendly and fairly flexible in terms of fitting in, and have no strong New York accents, attitudes or axes to grind.

Any thoughts about best areas for us to consider?

My second concern is difficult to articulate but probably comes down to this: How difficult will it be to find warm, open, curious and educated people at our age, who are open to friendship with "outsiders"? We considered the over 55 community in SA but would prefer living in a more mixed area.

Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 11:46 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times
Just don't try to change the place, shove your ideals down our throats and tell us how backwards we all are...and you'll be ok.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:22 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,294 times
If you want community, why do you want to live in some spacious development way outside of 1604? There are surely interesting people out there, but I have some friends in that area--a couple, just a bit younger than you--and their main complaint is the lack of community. There's nowhere to walk, few places to gather, and a lot of people are very conservative. Not sure if that bothers you, but it might. They said it's taken them four years to develop a few good relationships.

Where I live--just north of downtown--the community association has pretty much weekly happy hours with lots of educated types who sit around, drink wine, and shoot the sh-t. Neighbors know each other, you make friends at the local parks, restaurants, and places like the Pearl, and it's a really mixed crowd. Plus, this is where all the restaurants and much of the entertainment is. Also, it's still possible to find places way cheaper than Boerne or Fair Oaks.

I've heard that my experience here in Tobin Hill is similar to that just south of downtown in Lavaca or King William.

Come down and spend a lot of time in each of these places. It's beautiful out toward the Hill Country, but there's less community, it's way more homogenous, you have to drive everywhere, and the density of restaurants, cultural venues, and parks is not nearly as great as it is in the center city--which still feels very "chill" compared to somewhere like New York.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:05 PM

Thanks for your input, Juneof48. I looked up Tobin Hill and, as you say, it sounds like an inviting and dynamic community. We'll check it out. We're pretty committed to living just outside San Antonio, as long as it's an easy drive into the city. Between gardening and tinkering, we take up a bit of space. That's why we hope to find a dynamic, welcoming community outside of 1604.

And Pancho-Villa, no worries about our shoving ideals down anyone's throat. We just hope for the same in return. :-)

Old 08-16-2014, 05:54 PM

584 posts, read 1,192,520 times
You can get half acre lots with homes in The Forest at Stone Oak, Canyon Springs and a lot of new homes being built on Borgfield Road. These are all in the Stone Oak area with lots of people and social things to do. I think once you are here you will have no problem meeting people and building some great friendships. My husband and I have been here now for 10 years and have lots of friends. We have met them through meetup groups, running clubs, etc. Just find events you enjoy. If you like wine Max's wine dive has wine tastings so you can always meet people at events like this.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:54 AM

427 posts, read 1,173,997 times
Vacation here as much as possible and rent here before you buy.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:15 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork2SanAntonio View Post
We're pretty committed to living just outside San Antonio, as long as it's an easy drive into the city.
Be forewarned that 281 is almost certain to have its main lanes become toll lanes north of 1604. If you live up that way, as recommended by some other posts, this will matter. Your "easy" drive into the city will become a major headache during construction and slightly more expensive on those toll lanes, after it is complete.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:48 AM

Good point, Bo. Although areas around 281 seem interesting, we're concerned by current and projected traffic. For that reason, we've been focusing on the I-10 corridor to Boerne. Open to all suggestions, though. Penguin927, what's your take on Stone Oak traffic? Thanks so much, all of your input is most helpful.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:22 AM

584 posts, read 1,192,520 times
I travel early to work so I don't have traffic. My commute as well as my husband does not involve traveling on 281. We go 1604 / Blanco / Wilderness Oak ... no issues at all for us. My husband travels to and from Lackland daily. 281 is backed up during rush hour times and once they start construction on the new toll lanes i am sure I will be a headache. They have also completed the widening of the lanes on Bulverde Road which makes that a great alternative going north versus using 281. When Blanco widening was under construction that was a headache but once complete awesome.

I can say that I really do enjoy the Stone Oak/Canyon Springs area. We have everything we need in the area.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:22 PM

Stone Oak/Canyon Springs is on our short list, thanks to your suggestion. Thank you so much.

Does anyone have information or opinions about Fair Oaks Ranch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio