Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:00 AM

791 posts, read 3,958,736 times

Advertisements

After not having gotten a ticket in over 20 years, I moved back to SA and immediately got nailed in two speed-trap ticket-revenue towns within two weeks of each other (Junction on I-10 and Alamo Heights). I'm looking for advice from CD-ers on dealing with traffic court in Alamo Heights.

Because I took defensive driving for the speeding ticket in Junction, that's not an option for the ticket (right-of-way, not speeding) in Alamo Heights. I've been given conflicting advice on the AH ticket: 1) contest the ticket in AH traffic court where I will "inevitably lose", and then appeal to Bexar County Court where I will actually get a fair shake, or 2) hire a lawyer and request deferred adjudication in AH.

Questions for CD-ers with experience in Alamo Heights court:
  • Is it possible to get a fair shake in AH court?
  • Is it mandatory to get a lawyer to have a hope of making an effective case in AH?
  • If not, what do you need to do to prepare yourself adequately for AH traffic court?
  • What kinds of costs are you looking at if you need legal counsel in traffic court?
  • Are there any other options for dealing with tickets in Texas?
This thread is not meant to launch a volley of rants about Alamo Heights... I'm simply looking for advice based on personal or anecdotal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 10:29 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times
Can you request a trial by jury in Alamo Heights? I've been summoned for Jury Duty at the San Antonio Municipal Court in the past. I was a potential juror for a speeding ticket case. The defendant was representing himself. The City had a staff attorney representing the accusing officer. Since I didn't get picked, I don't know how it turned out.

It amazes me how many people don't know there is such a thing as a jury trial in traffic cases when I relay my experience to others. I don't know if this is a better option since I never had to challenge a citation, but if you don't think a judge would render a fair decision, a jury trial might be a better option.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:41 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,323 times
When I hear somebody talk of speed trap/ticket revenue situations it make me naturaly wonder what the ticket was for. Could you provide some details for us. Was it a 35 in a 30 or 75 in a 60? There are speed traps out there but I've found more often than not it was a case of simply ignoring the posted speed limits. Junction and AH makes me think that you may very well have been snared but some details would be helpful.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:46 AM

791 posts, read 3,958,736 times
The Junction ticket was definitely speeding - 89 in an 80 - my fault, so I went ahead and did the defensive driving. However, the AH ticket was a whole different situation. I was exiting the Stewart Center parking lot, turning right onto Barilla/Cleveland in front of Volare Pizza/B'way 50/50 and then turning left on Broadway. This intersection is very confusing for someone who is not familiar with it, as it appears that traffic is divided by a triangular median in front of the 50/50, when in actuality there are two lanes of bi-directional traffic on the right side of the median and one lane only on the left for traffic turning off Broadway.

There are no markings, stripes, signs or anything on the street, and if you are sitting at the light on Barilla/Cleveland waiting to turn right or left, there are two signal lamps opposite you that make it seem as if there are two lanes - one for turning left (as I was) and one for turning right. This is especially true at night, in the dark, when this incident happened. The policeman explained that the left lane on the right side of the median is actually for traffic turning from Broadway onto Barilla/Cleveland, and that despite the fact that this unmarked intersection has been the subject of some discussion at AH City Hall, he was still going to give me a ticket for driving in the wrong lane!

I have photos of the street's lack of markings/stripes, and would even consider videotaping cars sitting in the wrong lane at the intersection - if I thought it would help me. But I'm told that AH is a sham court and no matter what you present, you will still lose your case. Hope this is not TMI - any feedback from any CD-ers is welcome.

Last edited by CelesteDF; 12-24-2007 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 12-24-2007, 11:56 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,436,960 times
In your case, you maybe able to explain to a judge what happened. AH is not a tyranny, and you are lucky because you were not speeding. Although deferred adjudication wouldn't be a bad option either.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:31 PM

546 posts, read 3,103,792 times
AH and Terrell Hills are the WORST speed traps in town. My advice, hire a lawyer and have it dismissed, it isn't that much more, cost-wise, actually.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:49 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,009,800 times
Windcrest is not far behind on the Speed Trap thing.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:48 AM

Oh yeah, and watch out for Hollywood Park, man, those cops are TOUGH. They'll pull ya over for going too slow! YIKES!

Old 12-25-2007, 12:06 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
You're not even supposed to drive in Hollywood Park unless you are a resident or going to visit one, no? I thought that was the big stink several years ago. They did it so people would stop using the town as a shortcut from 281 to 1604 and vice versa. Do they still enforce this?

Old 12-25-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
You're not even supposed to drive in Hollywood Park unless you are a resident or going to visit one, no? I thought that was the big stink several years ago. They did it so people would stop using the town as a shortcut from 281 to 1604 and vice versa. Do they still enforce this?
If so, they should gate it off, and put a security guard at the entrance. But yeah, they'll stop you for no good reason just to be pricks IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio