Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,101 times

Advertisements

Hi, i just accepted a job with RAX in Windcrest.
- I would like to bike to work as I don't plan to bring my car to Texas just now. Is it feasible to be in Alamo Heights? Is it bikable or way too hot?

- What are other neighborhoods you recommend?

- I will be by myself so what are the options for fun for a guy in its 30's?

- Is it possible to do grocery shopping by bike? Do they deliver? Are there taxis from the grocery stores?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 07:09 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
For groceries, Greenling.com deliveries. Pricey, but doable. You can usually get a bus or taxi from a grocery store.

Loads of my neighbors (Southtown) are Rackers but they usually drive to work. However, a few of my neighbors work at SAMMC which is kind of in the same location and they cycle to work. yes, it's hot. But they go early. Alamo Heights is closer.

SA is not the most cycle friendly city, but more and more are doing it. For living, look at the thread //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...questions.html for suggestions.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:37 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
I would not feel safe biking anywhere near Rackspace. Have you been to Rackspace to see the facility? It's right off one of the busiest highways in the city and even the access road gets scary busy. Groceries as well may be tough. Just based on the area Rackspace is I wouldn't even consider it. Sorry.

As for fun, what kind of stuff do you like to do? We might be able to help you find some fun activities.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:07 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
It would be pretty easy to bike to rackspace from windcrest. There is also a large HEB along walzem road that would be easy to bike to. Beyond that there is a VIA (out public transit system) park and ride in windcrest that can take you (and your bike) anywhere you want to go.

Last edited by smuboy86; 08-27-2014 at 09:50 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 09:36 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
It would be pretty easy to bike to rackspace from windcrest. There is also a large HEB along walzem road that would be easy to bike to.
But probably not the best option for a guy in his 30s with no car. There wouldn't be many other places to go besides work.

OP - it's a pain to live here without a car, but doable. The bus system isn't great but check it out (called VIA), and ask your Rackspace relo people for info. I'd live in a place with stuff to do within walking/cycling distance, and rely on your bike or bus to get to work. But, if it's not a hassle to bring your car, then do. It makes life loads easier.

I do know people who bike up the access road to SAMMC. Scares the heck out of me but they do it daily. Rackspace is a couple of more miles away (11.5 from my house via bike through Alamo Heights). Actually, just remembered another neighbor does bike daily to Rackspace. Not a leisurely ride though.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 PM

201 posts, read 382,859 times
Use the Directions feature on Google maps to check bus service between two addresses. It is much better than the Via website.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:26 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
But probably not the best option for a guy in his 30s with no car. There wouldn't be many other places to go besides work.
Austin Hwy is just down the road; it only takes one bus to get there. It might be better to live near Austin Hwy and Harry Wurzbach and take the bus to Rackspace. The OP can walk or bike to the many businesses near Austin Hwy and Harry Wurzbach. If he wants to bike to work, I guess it's doable. It's really not that bad to cross IH-35 briefly under the bridge.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:11 AM

4,328 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
It would be pretty easy to bike to rackspace from windcrest. There is also a large HEB along walzem road that would be easy to bike to. Beyond that there is a VIA (out public transit system) park and ride in windcrest that can take you (and your bike) anywhere you want to go.
It should be noted that the City of Windcrest voted several years ago to opt out of VIA transit services, and as a result, has no bus service. The Park & Ride facility you speak of is actually located just outside Windcrest city limits.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:37 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
It should be noted that the City of Windcrest voted several years ago to opt out of VIA transit services, and as a result, has no bus service. The Park & Ride facility you speak of is actually located just outside Windcrest city limits.
You can walk to the part of Walzem that is not Windcrest. 505 takes you from Walzem to the Harry Wurzbach area.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:47 AM

4,328 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
You can walk to the part of Walzem that is not Windcrest. 505 takes you from Walzem to the Harry Wurzbach area.
True, but the nearest stops are across I-35 outside NTB/Walzem Elementary. I'ts a bit of a hike from Rackspace. If I'm not mistaken, Route 505 service is only once per hour, and it doesn't run past about 7:00 PM.

The bigger issue might be if someone had to use the ViaTrans service (for the disabled). They can't do pick-ups & drop-offs within the city limits of those municipalities that have opted out of VIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio