Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 AM

12 posts, read 53,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball03 View Post
I don’t live in San Antonio but visited several times. Plus, I’ve lived in enough big cities to voice an opinion. Right off the bat, this post has blown totally out of proportion. This is NOT a race issue but a big city thing. In the initial post, the gentleman talked about Cleveland and San Antonio, both big cities. If you want neighbors who talk, gossip and help each other then move to little city Kansas. Big city people, like me, are prone to remain to themselves and take care of their family. Why, because honestly we don’t know who the heck you are, you could be “Chester molester.” Like any big city I am sure San Antonio News is full of crime that probably shocks the average person. Well that’s the big city. To further complicate the matter San Antonio is a huge military town which means constant moving. Maybe your neighbor has seen 10 sets of families living in that house. Finally, remember society as a whole has changed a lot. I’m a door guy, when I hold the door open I should hear thank you. In the past, thank you was common place but today people really don’t pay attention and walk through without noticing. I could get all worked up and complain but in reality people are swamped multi tasking something. Society has changed a lot. Who knows but honestly this is NOT a race issue, period. There are way too many factors to pin it on one thing.
No, actually, San Antonio is NOT a big city full of crime. Give me a break. Our crime rate is extremely low for a city of our size and about 95% is NOT random crime but gangs or drug dealers shooting each other! I am SO TIRED of people acting like San Antonio is dangerous...take it from someone who lived in New Orleans for 9 years and who had 2 friends murdered while trying to get in their car and go to work, minding their own business! San Antonio is a very safe, not to mention friendly, city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 08:22 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
This is not a racial/ethnic issue...it's a transient neithborhood issue. people just don't know their neighbors anymore. People pick up and move over and over, and it's hard to put down roots and really get to know each other.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:22 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenSATX View Post
99% of new subdivisions have NO SIDEWALKS.
Eh? Every new subdivision we see has sidewalks. Where are you talking about?

Quote:
It seems to me that the original poster has a small attitude problem. Your husband chose to join the military and you chose to marry him. Please stop complaining.
Ease up! Until you have served or been married to someone who has or is serving their country, you really shouldn't be criticizing someone who is in that situation. I am sure if you or your spouse went away to a combat zone for a year or more, you would have some complaints too!

Whereas I don't agree with the original poster's beliefs that San Antonio is an unfriendly place--I said it was quite the opposite--I sure as heck didn't belittle her for feeling that way. As a matter of fact, I completely understand her feelings. However, your comments only add fuel to the perception that people are unfriendly; and based on your post, it appears that you are the one with the attitude problem!

M2

Old 01-05-2008, 09:36 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,373 times
I tried to rep you for that one majormadmax. I've been sitting here reading that post telling myself this one would be best to stay away from and not respond.

Thanks from a military spouse...

Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 AM

Wow. It's so sad that I'm not allowed to have an opinion! (and an educated one at that) How do you know I don't have a military spouse?! I just don't complain. If you will reread my post you will see it contained helpful ideas for meeting people in the poster's neighborhood. Perhaps if she wasn't so focused on race she would meet more people.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 AM

If you don't believe me about subdivisions (and their lack of sidewalks!), please pick up this book:

Amazon.com: Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream: Books: Andres Duany,Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk,Jeff Speck

It's a real eye-opener to the problems with urban sprawl and the "neighborhoods" that are built today.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:31 AM

791 posts, read 3,959,992 times
Interesting - that's the same architect who is designing the new Windsor Park/Rackspace mixed-use area. So I guess we can expect plenty of sidewalks and walkability in that new development.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
If you don't believe me about subdivisions (and their lack of sidewalks!), please pick up this book:

Amazon.com: Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream: Books: Andres Duany,Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk,Jeff Speck

It's a real eye-opener to the problems with urban sprawl and the "neighborhoods" that are built today.
You are kidding, right? You quote some obscure book as being evidence that new subdivisions in San Antonio are lacking sidewalks? Maybe you need to actually go look in the new subdivisions being built around here and maybe then you will realize that 1) sidewalks are being installed and 2) your comment is completely off the mark.

Sure, you can express your opinion (and you should thank a servicemember for the ability to do so, as they are the ones who dedicate their lives to preserve that), and guess what, I have the same right. I also dedicated a quarter of a century of my life defending that right, which is why I also don't believe it is likely you have ever been married to anyone in the military, as your comments are too ignorant to support it. And if you want to start comparing diplomas, I will be sure to get all of mine out. You may have some education, but you sure seem to be lacking in common sense when you make ridiculous comments such as "he volunteered and you chose to marry him." Heck, you should be thanking the original poster for her sacrifice in supporting someone who is serving our country and try to help her, not belittling her.

M2

Old 01-06-2008, 12:05 PM

20 posts, read 66,842 times
We are Hispanic, funny, we communicate and have Holiday guests from the neighborhood. Many have families in the Valley, so visit during the holidays. Try finding a common interest. Not all people want to be friends, whatever their ethnicity. We are all raised with different traditions. Christmas cards may not be in your neighbors repertoire of common courtesy. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio