U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 08:51 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,734,825 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Texas for over a year now but one thing I've never figured out is why do many of the San Antonio FM radio stations sometimes delay, or skip as your driving around? This happens more so driving around in the hill country where I live versus the city, but still I've never experienced this before living in both California and Arizona. Usually if a stations reception struggles you get fuzz instead of delays or repetitive parts of songs like a CD skipping, anyone know why this happens?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 08:55 PM

894 posts, read 1,299,796 times
Do you have an HD Radio in you vehicle by chance? This is the behavior common to digital HD radio versus the analog radio where you get fading of the signal with static.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:57 PM

7,813 posts, read 10,069,890 times
We're in a big state. The signals sometimes go in and out. Many signals originate in south san antonio and are hard for the northern portions of the SA area to catch at times.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,078 posts, read 34,800,128 times
If you listen to radio that's live, the stations use a long delay, to help them avoid FCC fines, in case unexpected bad language is spoken during a "live" portion of the show. If this delay gets disengaged because they had to dump some bad language, you'll hear a portion of the programming repeat when the delay gets re-engaged later.

I hear this surprisingly often on WOAI, for instance.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:08 PM

8 posts, read 11,989 times
I agree with Rustybolt. You probably have an HD radio that's switching between analog and HD streams...

HD signals take a little bit longer to process in the radio itself so the audio you hear from the radio may be 3-4 seconds behind the analog audio. If your radio is switching from analog to HD you'll hear the same few seconds of audio that you just heard. If it's switching from HD to analog, you'll miss out on a few seconds.

Happens to me often when driving north of 1604.

Hope this helps.
D-train

Old 09-10-2014, 01:41 AM

2,766 posts, read 6,734,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrain-sa View Post
I agree with Rustybolt. You probably have an HD radio that's switching between analog and HD streams...

D-train
Yes and I tend to feel this is the issue as well. What still confuses me though is that while the receivers in both my vehicles are HD, I never experienced this issue prior to living in Texas. So that's why I wonder if perhaps something is done differently with stations out here. I'm no expert in the airwaves so it's definitely educational learning about such things.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:42 PM

894 posts, read 1,299,796 times
I also suspect that maybe in CA you listened to an HD 1 channel that can go back and forth between digital and analog pretty seamlessly, at least on my radio. A program on HD 2 or 3 have no analog corollary, so when they drop out...they just plain drop out.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:31 PM

265 posts, read 455,871 times
Depending on where you were in California, larger markets tend to have more robust infrastructure. There are some stations here that do not even offer HD variants. Another thing, to is that SA has a lot of low power FM or relay stations that may simulcast to cover larger areas. The larger 'blow torch' stations broadcast up to 100,000 watts, whereas some low power offerings can be as low as 100.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:28 PM

381 posts, read 984,736 times
I have noticed this too and I have only noticed it while in SA (never noticed it in Austin, Houston or Corpus). I doubt I have an HD radio.

105.3 has had problems recently. 96.1 sometimes has long periods of dead air weekday mornings while airing The Kidd Kraddick show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio