Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:37 AM

12 posts, read 62,256 times

Advertisements

I second the recommendation for Nikki's and Koi Kawa. Also Tongs Thai on Austin hwy has a small sushi bar, and a newly remodeled funky interior, and delivery. The sushi zushi in Lincoln Hts. is crap, I guess the owner passed away right after it opened. It's filled with young, incompetent kids that greet you with a "hey guys!!" and no matter how empty the restaurant is, the food takes forever. You spend top dollar for the bottom of the barrel. I did enjoy listening to the eighties music though... I have to admit that I don't believe that many if any establishments serve fish caught that day, since most purveyors ship from Houston. Second day, perhaps. Fresh frozen is probably the freshest you'll get in town, and Central Mkt. has a few vacuum sealed and frozen sashimi quality fishes at a time , you need to ask them for it specifically. Usually tuna, salmon and mackerel. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 11:58 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruscurves View Post
There is also Sushi Zushi which is apparently good sushi start off from what I heard.
IMO, worst Sushi restaurant of my life. I ate there one and perhaps a 2nd go might yield better results but you know what they say about 1st impressions. Overpriced, overrated, and weird menu maki creations that shouldn't even be called Japanese (i.e. philly maki, etc.). The yakitori is tough chicken meat dipped in ham glaze and the shrimp tempura... well, it tastes better in the frozen aisle out of a sea pak box. 'Course that doesn't stop people from going here in droves I suppose.

Nikki's was O.K. Yes, it has a subset of traditional dishes, but way over priced and if it were in Japan, it simply would not cut it. I here Koi Kawas cost even more so that's a big pass go on my list. Mind you, I don't paying an extra amount for some really good food. But sushi, particularly maki, is a commodity, so it's awkward to see it priced as a delicacy.

Goros off Blanco and 410 is actually a pleasant surprise... my wife and I visit often... Reasonable prices and good maki (particularly the tried and true variants). Still looking for another good place... I'm sure there are some.

I can't speak for Wasabi but I heard it's good.

Over all, I miss my local Sushi Para up north which serves all you can eat -- $16.99 (loads of great maki, sushi, tempura, yakitori, salad, miso, edamame) -- and of course... round sushi and yakitori izakayas throughout Tokyo prefectures. My in laws used to own one. Oshi!!!

What I really need to find is a decent miyako mart. There is one off Blanco and Wurzbach with a really nice mama-san, but I would really love more variety and something closer (or further even).
my .02

Last edited by tekka-maki; 12-31-2007 at 12:07 PM..

Old 12-31-2007, 01:59 PM

Forgot to say, I third Thai Spice... excellent sushi and the Squid Pad Thai was delicious. Also, no Sushi, but Thai Kitchen off Marbach and 410 is also excellent. Lastly, as far as buffets go, I generally avoid them (e.g. Golden Coral on NW Loop 410 , Chinese buffet near 410 and Bandera, and pretty much any Coyote Canyon are simply disgusting to me), but China Harbor off 281 and 1604 is quite excellent. Cheap price, decent nigiri and maki sushi, kim-chee, other various salads, great hot food items, and great service in my 3 visits. IMO, closest to Todai in S.A. but a fraction of the price.

Regarding OPs question, I don't believe there is such a thing as fresh (i.e. non frozen) sushi in a land locked city, at least not for us middle class folk. Not to say some uber rich clientèle in upscale resort or like who special order and pay top dollar for fresh can't get it. But I think generally one would have to visit Japan or other coastal cities (like L.A./San Fran) for that.

This is making me hungry.... yummmmm...

Old 12-31-2007, 06:13 PM

732 posts, read 3,553,234 times
Tekka-makki,

Sounds like you've spent some time in Japan..... Don't you wish you could get Okonomiyaki here in San Antonio???

I really miss Japanese food (lived in Yamanashi Prefecture for 4 years...) Surprisingly, I'm not a big sushi fan but love everything else....any suggestions for other, non-sushi, Japanese food here in town?

Old 12-31-2007, 08:01 PM

7 posts, read 15,797 times
Default Non-Sushi Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
Tekka-makki,

Sounds like you've spent some time in Japan..... Don't you wish you could get Okonomiyaki here in San Antonio???

I really miss Japanese food (lived in Yamanashi Prefecture for 4 years...) Surprisingly, I'm not a big sushi fan but love everything else....any suggestions for other, non-sushi, Japanese food here in town?
I can't speak highly enough of Fujiya on Wurzbach. The women wear kimonos, and they get very excited if you know any Japanese; my son nearly had a waitress get whiplash when he used some with her. Anyway, it's one of San Antonio's most beautiful and relaxing restaurants, and the food is superb. They even have a traditional Japanese dining area with the tatami mats. It can be a little expensive, but not nearly as expensive as some Japanese restaurants I'd been to in CA. Their gyoza is to die for. Seriously.

Samurai on Babcock at Wurzbach is another good Japanese restaurant with reasonable prices and bigger portions than you'll know what to do with. You can eat for a few days on one serving of their Oyakodon Their sushi is some of the best and freshest I've had in town.

For the record, Sushi Zushi is crap. I get better at the DeZavala HEB sushi counter. And the sushi makers are a lot friendlier, besides.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Tekka-makki,

You bet I do! Actually, I used to be able to get it at a Japanese Supermarket here in the U.S. called Mitsuwa but no longer. Even that though, frails in comparison to its taste and variety in Japan. My wife and I were fortunate enough to receive a takoyaki cooker as a gift. We make those fervidly to snack on, topped with bonito fish flakes and takoyaki sauce.

Quote:
I miss it too, and unfortunately no I do not, less Nikki's and a few others mentioned that sell more than just sushi. There is a miyako mart just to the side of Nikki's on Hildrebrand owned by the same people and another off Babcock and Wurzbach though. Perhaps others know of non-sushi restaurants, because I seriously have not tried that hard to find more as I have the feeling it wouldn't meet my expectations. I sort of subsidize my cravings these days, by preparing similar meals at home (e.g. Sushi/Sashimi, gyu-don, tonkatsu, mabo-tofu, Japanese curry, saba, tempura, various soba/somen etc.). But I do miss shabu-shabu every time I think of it and many other dishes, as I'm sure you do.

You're welcome to come by and have some any time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
I can't speak highly enough of Fujiya on Wurzbach.
I will definitely give that one a go! Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by tekka-maki; 01-01-2008 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-01-2008, 09:17 AM

26 posts, read 34,729 times
My wife is Japanese so we just call it food (sorry couldn't resist ), we moved here about a year ago and are always looking for places to try and this thread has been very helpful.

We have been to Nikki's several time and have been happy...the place is pretty scary from the outside but it gets better once you go in.

There is another place we went that was pretty good and a couple little grocery stores, I'll ask the wife later.

Never went to Sushi Zushi but my wifes friends said to stay away...

Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 PM

Just wanted to update this thread by saying that my wife and I recently had the pleasure of dining at Fujiya and it's really a great restaurant, especially for the total pkg/feel. The whole place has the authentic izakaya appeal and most of the staff inc. the Sushi chefs are actually Japanese (much to our surprise)!

The menu is very diverse and encompasses many different styles of Japanese cooking (e.g. Tonkatsu, Shabu-Shabu, Sushi, Don Buri, Udon etc.). I don't expect each of the dishes to be as good as any one restaurant that specializes in each (which is the way it works in Tokyo) but it's nice to have a one stop shop for multiple Japanese cuisines.

I noticed some minor gripes with regard to bland Tonkatsu sauce and the fact that they seem to use French dressing on their Bento salads (a first for me as most all Japanese places I've eaten always use some ginger/sesame/soy variant dressing) but most folks probably wouldn't even care to notice. nigiri and maki are somewhat overpriced from my regular stop (Goros) but the place is much more atmospheric and I don't think I'll be going to Fujiya primarily for the sushi menu if only because of all the other menu offerings.

Anyway, highly recommended and I plan to go again soon and try something different.
FYI, Lunch Bentos are $7.50, not bad at all.

So far for us: Goros, Fujiya, Asia Kitchen - 2 thumbs up; China Harbor, Spice - 1 1/2 Thumbs Up; Thai Taste - 1 Thumb Up; Nikki's - Half Thumb Up; Zushi Sushi - Two Thumbs Down. Still have yet to try Koi Kawa, Godai, or Samurai Sushi.

If you're feeling really froggy, stop by Minnano Japanese (miyako) mart on the way out off Callaghan and Fredicksburg for some goodies.

Last edited by tekka-maki; 05-26-2008 at 11:40 PM..

Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 AM

164 posts, read 555,443 times
It should be noted that the Sandbar on Pecan serves great sashimi and has the freshest fish in town. It's one of my favorite restaurants.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:47 AM

431 posts, read 1,204,339 times
Sushi Zushi (not Zushi Sushi) is not cheap, but depending on what you order, the food is incredible. I don't get the hate that is being spread around about this place! I've eaten here countless times.

I have "turned" many people into sushi fans thanks to this restaurant. It is true their menu has a lot of very non-traditional, non-Japanese items...but they have so many things on the menu that are both their own signature americanized choices as well as traditional Japanese/sushi items. I HIGHLY recommend the Cosimo Roll. It contains no raw fish.

Much more traditional is Sake Cafe at Blanco/Huebner. The food is always fresh, and they have great lunch specials.

I also like Sushihana.

Godai was great for a while, then they decided to raise prices on EVERYTHING by about $2+ (I think this happened shortly after it garnered Critics Choice award by Express News). FYI...even though the prices went up, I still enjoy the place.

Sushi & Tepanyaki at 281/1604 (near Costco & Walmart) has been good on my visits there, but I think I've only been about 3 times or so.

R.I.P. Kabuki. This used to be in the location that now houses India Palace on 281 between Brookhollow and Thousand Oaks (Galleria Oaks shopping center behind Taco Cabana). They had the BEST raw sushi and sashimi.

I can't comprehend people enjoying (and recommending?) sushi found at ANY buffet! I think the only buffet I've ever eaten that contained fresh sushi was at the Bellagio in Vegas...and I still wouldn't recommend it as anything great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio