Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:46 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm the opposite about parking in the garage. My husband will go through phases where he insists on parking one vehicle in the garage. Then it looks like no one is home during the day when he leaves for work. I want a car in the driveway when I'm home.
Even though I always park in the garage (unless I'm just stopping by the house for a couple of minutes), I'm still bothered by appearance it gives passersby that no one is home.

If you look at the majority of homes in my neighborhood, you'll see at least one vehicle parked outside somewhere. I can think of only one other neighbor on my street who always parks in the garage, like me. If you're one of my neighbors, you know this, and you don't know if I'm at home or not. To an outsider, it looks like maybe no one is home - stop and ring the doorbell, and check it out.

Of course, parking in the garage all the time is the best way to prevent my vehicle from being stolen, burglarized, or vandalized, but it could be at the risk of making my house more vulnerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 05:25 PM

702 posts, read 726,734 times
Don't trust your valuables anywhere, but especially inside 410, east of 281, and south of 151.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:33 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
Don't trust your valuables anywhere, but especially inside 410, east of 281, and south of 151.
Lol... Ok you know the crime hotspots of AH and Terrell Hills and Olmos Park, it's like Detroit there. But really the crime stats along the I10 corridor and at La Cantera are jaw dropping. I know of 6 cars that got stollen personally from one parking lot at La Cantera in 6 months, and many more burglarized.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:13 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
Actually E of 281 inside 410 is land I live in and we don't have dirty diapers, cars on blocks or high property crime. I forget to lock my car all the time (I'm from a 1300 acre ranch) and have never had something stolen at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Lol... Ok you know the crime hotspots of AH and Terrell Hills and Olmos Park, it's like Detroit there. But really the crime stats along the I10 corridor and at La Cantera are jaw dropping. I know of 6 cars that got stollen personally from one parking lot at La Cantera in 6 months, and many more burglarized.
The I10 are near La Cantera is no different than North Park Dallas or Galleria Houston. Shopping centers have and always will be crime magnets.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:30 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
The Dominion sees a large number of home burglaries compared to the surrounding area. I found that surprising based on the heavier security at the Dominion. They not only have the manned entrance gates, but also have roving patrols in the neighborhood.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:22 AM

201 posts, read 382,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Property crimes do happen a lot here. Much of it could be avoided if people would use their garages for vehicle storage, rather than filling them with stuff that doesn't fit in the house.
This sounds too much like blame the victim.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:41 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
Well, he's right.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:49 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest1492 View Post
This sounds too much like blame the victim.
Sounds more like advice on how to avoid becoming a victim as opposed to blaming the victim.

Most physical security is just common sense. Burglars will avoid well lit areas, they are less likely to break into a car with nothing of value visible. If you don't park in garage, remove anything of value from your vehicle, and park in a well lit spot (exterior garage/home lights, street lights, etc.) Burglars look for patterns. If you leave your residence every day at the same time, they will recognize the pattern and use it to their advantage. Be unpredictable. Leave at different times. Use timers on indoor/outdoor lights. If you normally have blinds and curtains open all day, don't leave them closed when you go on vacation. Also, if you do go out of town, make arrangements for the Post Office to hold your mail, stop delivery of any news papers, and have neighbors keep on eye on your residence to include removing any solicitation items (flyers/ads/door hangers, etc.)

Old 10-01-2014, 07:06 AM

520 posts, read 781,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Sounds more like advice on how to avoid becoming a victim as opposed to blaming the victim.

Most physical security is just common sense. Burglars will avoid well lit areas, they are less likely to break into a car with nothing of value visible. If you don't park in garage, remove anything of value from your vehicle, and park in a well lit spot (exterior garage/home lights, street lights, etc.) Burglars look for patterns. If you leave your residence every day at the same time, they will recognize the pattern and use it to their advantage. Be unpredictable. Leave at different times. Use timers on indoor/outdoor lights. If you normally have blinds and curtains open all day, don't leave them closed when you go on vacation. Also, if you do go out of town, make arrangements for the Post Office to hold your mail, stop delivery of any news papers, and have neighbors keep on eye on your residence to include removing any solicitation items (flyers/ads/door hangers, etc.)
Second this. My first duty station in the Navy was Sigonella Sicily. Keep nothing of value in the car, locking the door just meant you would wake up to a broken window.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:15 PM

1,037 posts, read 875,808 times
Bottom line: Crime happens everywhere, in any city or town out there

Be alert. Be aware. Lock up and keep your home/apt well lit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio