Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 10:13 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Gone View Post
So. When you bought your property did you let the previous owner store things at their old residence? Was is history. This is America. I am tired of my tax dollars being spent trying to incorporate these people. Mexicans think they should get preferential treatment. Too bad. They are too problematic for us to deal with now. We have enough problems policing our own.
scratches head....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 05:26 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default I do too Dog_gone,

I have always realized Texas was Mexican. In particular San Antonio- Texas. Who could deny that? You are absolutely right! " Its' liike a whole 'nother country." This, is the secret of our success, here in the South Western United States.
You can take the Texas out of Mexico but you cannot take the Mexico out of Texas.
So, we are the semi-original inhabitants. The aboriginal inhabitants, and with the rights that come with that status. The indigenous ones. Particularly in the United States, this land of immigrants.
Johnny come lately- is not the end all know all. He that thinks he knows something , knows nothing.
A great deal of wisdom coming from a newer poster, a pleasant surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Gone View Post
I bet you did not realize that SA was was Mexico.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:45 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You're moving the goalposts with this statement. I wasn't talking about "property," I was talking about theft from and damage to vehicles. If a vehicle is locked away in a garage, vandalism and burglary of that vehicle are about as close to to totally preventable as is humanly possible.

Put the car in a locked garage and there's almost no chance that someone's going to boost the laptop from it that you left in the passenger seat. Park it in the driveway with that laptop on the seat and you're daring someone to steal it. I've had 3 neighbors have laptops stolen from vehicles parked in the driveway. They all have garages that they weren't using. I just don't get how someone can be that careless.
I guess this means if someone steals my water hose on front lawn, then I am careless for leaving it out and not storing it in the garage too.

I get what you are saying but calling people "careless" because they had a vehicle broken into, stolen, or damaged within their own property line (because they didn't use their garage) is a bit harsh. A public parking lot or apartment lot is a different story though.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:12 AM

702 posts, read 726,810 times
Not leaving valuables in plain sight, not parking in a well lit area, not walking alone at dark, not getting drunk and insulting people in a bar, not posting your address in a craigslist ad, not locking your doors...

These are safety precautions. Doing any of it doesn't absolve a perpetrator of responsibilities but you HAVE to know that you can take action to make yourself less of a target of violent or property crime.

It is shocking that people are so indignant about looking out for themselves. Do you not look both ways before crossing the street? I mean, vehicles have to stop for pedestrians -- you have the right of way. Don't blame the victim if they get hit after walking blindly into traffic.

If a criminal wants to attack you or steal your stuff they are going to do it. But make yourself less of a blatant target. Or don't. It makes my stuff less of a target.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:14 AM

Default Accurate Appraisal,Guardian,

Street smarts is what makes one safe living "Life in the Big City". Though this is how things are everywhere, some here will never realize to think ahead.
As though we, all of us, live on Maple Street in Ames, Iowa and we reside between the Brady Bunch and the Cleavers and the Beave. Shoplifting is a no-no.
Some may even drive while drunk and use drugs and even be dishonest ? Nah.

Great Posting here Entropy.
It may come as a surprise here within this forum that there are actually some dishonest people within the two and a one half million conglomerated here...this entire idea is ridiculous. Really. To even consider this? Naivete.
Duh. Guess what? Amongst these millions are some that would take even your children. Cheeses in the driveway ,Bo, yes, cheese in the driveway.
San Antonio is a very safe place compared to some places I have lived , say, Detroit, mi. The audacity of thieves there is nothing short of- astonishing. The brazen armed robberies of public service vehicles can occur , at gunpoint for instance while driving around.
A fire truck was at gunpoint , robbed of all of its' valuables, brass fittings etc., and even Ambulances can be victimized, the occupants inside robbed of their wallets. People panhandle in front of Walgreens or Krogers.
Automobiles left unlocked in front of a convenience store for minutes might have their radio removed in broad daylight. Any Vacant house, left vacant for even one day only , may be robbed of its' aluminum awnings and all copper wiring and plumbing inside for the mere salvage value of its metals.
At the other end of this spectrum.

I once lived in a very tiny town in the midwest where, I used to patronize a very small video rental store- its owners were two very aged ladies who once discussed their outrage with me , because kids often would come in and rent video games and never return them at all.
The police Dept.(one of two guys) was always called and sent out to get the video games back. I laughed at this small town nonsense.
Funny stuff. I had to chuckle with bemusal after leaving the squeaky wood and glass door of the ancient storefront on the way to the car. Crime happens everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
Not leaving valuables in plain sight, not parking in a well lit area, not walking alone at dark, not getting drunk and insulting people in a bar, not posting your address in a craigslist ad, not locking your doors...

These are safety precautions. Doing any of it doesn't absolve a perpetrator of responsibilities but you HAVE to know that you can take action to make yourself less of a target of violent or property crime.

It is shocking that people are so indignant about looking out for themselves. Do you not look both ways before crossing the street? I mean, vehicles have to stop for pedestrians -- you have the right of way. Don't blame the victim if they get hit after walking blindly into traffic.

If a criminal wants to attack you or steal your stuff they are going to do it. But make yourself less of a blatant target. Or don't. It makes my stuff less of a target.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:38 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,730 times
I get a kick out of the response I get when I mention to someone that I have a surveillance system set up at my home. "Wow, you must live in a rough area?" No, I don't. As a matter of fact, if you drive through a rough area, you'd be hard pressed to find a home with cameras up. So that response seems odd but the response I get is why do I feel the need to have a system up? Well, I just want to ensure I take the necessary precautions that I can take in the event of something happens. Plus, I've used it for other reasons such as finding out what happened to my cat. (coyote took him, very sad)

Old 10-08-2014, 10:05 PM

684 posts, read 812,419 times
Simple. Carry and keep one loaded in the house

Old 10-09-2014, 01:15 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
I get a kick out of the response I get when I mention to someone that I have a surveillance system set up at my home. "Wow, you must live in a rough area?" No, I don't. As a matter of fact, if you drive through a rough area, you'd be hard pressed to find a home with cameras up. So that response seems odd but the response I get is why do I feel the need to have a system up? Well, I just want to ensure I take the necessary precautions that I can take in the event of something happens. Plus, I've used it for other reasons such as finding out what happened to my cat. (coyote took him, very sad)
People have a hard time realizing that poor people don't steal from other poor people...

Old 10-10-2014, 05:47 AM

Default Funny Statement ,

Is this all the common sense you have bugspray? Really? That might possibly have been the most ridiculously
misinformed post ever seen I think, a new record for completely for misinformed conjectures.

Stay out of the heat. Keep the sunscreen handy and do not go out of doors until the sun is not so strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
People have a hard time realizing that poor people don't steal from other poor people...

Old 10-10-2014, 06:42 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Thrives steal from poor people all the time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio