Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 10:55 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times

Advertisements

Auctions

I was reading an article on civil asset forfeiture and my curiosity was piqued about San Antonio's police auctions. Have you ever obtained anything from a police auction for far less than it was worth due to the fact that it was seized from a drug dealer? (or possibly an innocent person as in Tenaha, Texas)

What do you think of police auctions?

On another note, this is a LOT of cars: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=3625+...78227&t=h&z=18

I see some old rusted-out junk buckets. Might be some interesting stuff in that lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 11:03 AM

293 posts, read 391,920 times
We went once years ago to one in Kirby, most of the nicer cars get bought up fast by used car dealers. But I have always wanted to go to a property auction. Its on my list of things to do...eventually.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:57 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,790,192 times
Are Police Impound Car Auctions any Good

Old 10-11-2014, 06:17 PM

265 posts, read 534,415 times
Of the few SAPD auctions I went to, the vehicles were a mix. Some probably abandoned after the tow/impound fee exceeded the vehicle's fair value. These were eaten up mostly by used auto parts places. Very few of the owners in this category actually try to win them back, fewer are successful. The real incentive are the asset seizure vehicles. I once tracked one from arrest to what should have been the auction block, but it was 'assigned' to a certain unit for 'covert' operations. And yes, sometimes beater cars from asset seizure fall in this category. By and large, dealers attend these events and like at any auction, prices get run up when they normally wouldn't. The biggest downfall to the SA auction is the large crowds they draw due to the publicity it gains. Their property auctions are similar--large crowds, flea market people there to make a buck, overpriced second hand electronics going for retail. What gets frustrating is when an item is about to close and suddenly a new flurry of bids make it no longer appealing. Such is the business.
My absolute favorite auctions were those conducted by the Alamo Area Narcotics Task Force. They had everything including building materials and the kitchen sink. Vehicles, motorcycles, jetskis, TVs electronics, Mr. T starter kits (plenty of gold and jewelry) all kinds of stuff. They were usually held at Leon Valley--sometimes in conjunction with their own auction or with Live Oak or Alamo Heights. The richer suburbs were also appealing as well, as turnout was a mere percentage as those from San Antonio.
The task force disbanded a long time ago and I miss their auctions. It has been at least 10 years since I attended any police auctions.
Once in a while great buys can be made. But you have to be disciplined....know when to walk away or when to dig in.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:42 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Just to note, the SAPD holds separate property and vehicle auctions; I worked the former back in June and it was an interesting experience. I didn't see anything I was personally interested in but there was a large crowd and a lot of bidding going on...

Old 10-13-2014, 09:31 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,170 times
leon valley and balcones heights are were the money is to be made, IF ou have money to spend and IF you get there on a low traffic day.

ive gotten lucky a few times, and more than once ive found 'special' treats. SAPD, LVPD and BHPD are VERY bad at searching for hidden compartments...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio