Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,979 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm new to this, but I need some help! The apts I live in are making me and other tenants sick. I know, I know, I can move but I'm not able to right now. I've called every dept with the city as well as FOIA for each dept on this property because I know something is terribly wrong here. They spray over mold instead of remediating it properly, the ventilation system doesn't work, and the AC is run on a "swamp cooler" which is also not working (causes Legionnaires Disease). Then I find out yesterday that the property was supposedly "condemned" approx. 20 yrs ago, it sat vacant for 9-10 yrs.

Questions: does anyone know how I could find out if
(1) the property was actually condemned, even if it was over 20 yrs ago. The current owners have only owned it approx. 9 - 10 yrs. I've tried code compliance to no avail. Hell, they don't even know what to look for when the DO COME OUT. They act as if they'll do anything for the landlord, even make tenants sick.
(2) What department within the city would condemn a property.

And any info or help you can give me to help with this hell hole place. It is dangerous, even though when you drive by or up to the place it looks good, then you find all of these leaks, mold, and a host of other issues.

Management is the worst, from my experience and opinion. They seem like to lie instead of telling the truth no matter what. Horrible!! So is maintenance! What people will do for $$, even making people sick....amazing to me.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 06:11 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default I don't really know whom to call on this,

The Health Dept. or a hud office, call and ask for direction to go in for help. Tell them the living conditions are deplorable and unsaitary and a danger to your health and- all have been ill lately. Pester them until something , some sort of advice is given. Tell them chjildren are involved. Call the local news stations and get them involved too. They might be interested in a whole building full of people paying to live in unsanitary conditions- Sounds like a news story in the making? Call the mayor's office and the local city council member.
Stop paying rent until some issues are resolved. I have seen this tactic against a landlord work before.Tell them no more rent money will be forthcoming until they fix something. Make an agreement amongst youselves, speak with other residents, and present a united front to these slumlords. Black mold is nothing to trifle with. Yes, these people could care less about your health.
I was told by a realtor -never,never, buy a home that ever has had, Black mold.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:34 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Knowing where your from can be very helpful in finding help for you !!!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:59 AM

69 posts, read 99,512 times
Call kSAT-12 News Defenders and publicly call out the owners plus get other tenants to report these conditions. In some cases some buildings have been labeled as condemned by the City of San Antonio. With the outbreak of various viruses and diseases I'm sure you will attract attention for something to get done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio