Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 AM

21 posts, read 27,517 times

Advertisements

So I heard the news that the underpass planned in 151 and 1604 is now going to be an overpass with a tag of $44M from the original $15M. I have some questions about all this mess

Who discovered the blind spider, I mean I laborer was picking away and saw the spider and said “oh wow! A blind spider! Aren’t these extinct? Or are these extinct protectors in every construction project?

If they want to protect this spider and is the federal government who is mandating the over pass, shouldn’t be them who pay for the $29M difference?

I smell a rat in here, there is something that does not add up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 07:07 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
The spider is not eligible for protection under the Endangered Species Act, which imposes penalties for trafficking, harming or killing endangered species, because it's not actually a distinct species.
In recent years, researchers have suggested that the spider should be consolidated with three other types previously thought to be distinct species.
http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-...-protected-esa

Last edited by elnina; 10-16-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
I disagree that someone is to blame for this. Projects fall behind schedule all the time, for a variety of reasons.

Looks at the Wurzbach Parkway project, which fell behind because a contractor underbid the project and went bankrupt. That project's cost must have increased by millions, but that amount hasn't been publicized AFAIK. Who's to blame? A bankrupt contractor who underestimated what the project would cost.

In this case, a project fell behind to determine whether continuing it would violate Federal law. The fact that some people think the law is silly or the animals it's meant to protect weren't worth protecting, is immaterial. It's the law. The person who discovered the spider saved the contractors from facing prosecution or fines for violating Federal law.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:59 AM

31 posts, read 40,124 times
Walmarts under construction never hit these hurdles

Old 10-16-2014, 01:18 PM

136 posts, read 225,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanraider View Post
So I heard the news that the underpass planned in 151 and 1604 is now going to be an overpass with a tag of $44M from the original $15M. I have some questions about all this mess

Who discovered the blind spider, I mean I laborer was picking away and saw the spider and said “oh wow! A blind spider! Aren’t these extinct? Or are these extinct protectors in every construction project?

If they want to protect this spider and is the federal government who is mandating the over pass, shouldn’t be them who pay for the $29M difference?

I smell a rat in here, there is something that does not add up.

If I remember correctly a cave was uncovered in the construction area after heavy rains exposed the opening. They sent a Biologist that was already working closely with txdot to investigate because they suspected that the project could encounter such a cave or karst invertebrate habitat. That person found the protected spider and the project was stopped.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:55 PM

358 posts, read 577,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASUX View Post
Walmarts under construction never hit these hurdles
Nor do federal courthouses.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:07 PM

894 posts, read 1,546,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The spider is not eligible for protection under the Endangered Species Act, which imposes penalties for trafficking, harming or killing endangered species, because it's not actually a distinct species.
In recent years, researchers have suggested that the spider should be consolidated with three other types previously thought to be distinct species.
Feds Rule Blind Spider Not Protected by ESA | Heartlander Magazine
The article you cite has nothing to do with the Braken Bat Cave spider that was found and that is on the endangered species list. See Species Profile for Braken Bat Cave Meshweaver (Cicurina venii). You should moderate your post. That folks don't understand why an endangered species should be protected is part of the problem. Remember fireflies? My grandsons have never seen them and probably never will. WalMarts and other private developments aren't nearly as encumbered by the T&E list as projects funded with Federal funds are. You will never see a Federal court house endanger a species on th T&E list.

Last edited by Rustybolt; 10-17-2014 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: