Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 04:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

I have negotiated time-off perks on each of my jobs.

Usually as an hourly grunt.

If a company bulks at an enhanced leave schedule, I have them draft up a comp time equivalent. I usually work 30 -50% overtime, and every weekend possible, so they are more than happy to give me equal time off without pay, when work load decreases, or schedule allows. Suits me, as I have just been paid time and 1/2 or double time for the OT, so I come out financially ahead.

My favorite employer allowed us to take the entire summer off without pay, if we would find and train a school teacher to do our job. The company wanted to keep teachers relevant on current technologies and aware of local employment needs.

It was great for the teachers, company, and workers + always provided more qualified applicants from students. It was great for me, as I would go learn something new that would help my job, or enhance my future skill set.

Always negotiate a win for your employer and coworkers... I.e. Don't demand, but illustrate the benefit to the employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 04:31 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have negotiated time-off perks on each of my jobs.

Usually as an hourly grunt.

If a company bulks at an enhanced leave schedule, I have them draft up a comp time equivalent. I usually work 30 -50% overtime, and every weekend possible, so they are more than happy to give me equal time off without pay, when work load decreases, or schedule allows. Suits me, as I have just been paid time and 1/2 or double time for the OT, so I come out financially ahead.

My favorite employer allowed us to take the entire summer off without pay, if we would find and train a school teacher to do our job. The company wanted to keep teachers relevant on current technologies and aware of local employment needs.

It was great for the teachers, company, and workers + always provided more qualified applicants from students. It was great for me, as I would go learn something new that would help my job, or enhance my future skill set.

Always negotiate a win for your employer and coworkers... I.e. Don't demand, but illustrate the benefit to the employer.

Good job StealthRabbit. It's done frequently before one even accepts a position as well.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:45 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you are willing to wait for the "big jobs", just hang out on USAjobs. Eventually you will get through the whole process from application to first day on the job. It can take years, but worth the wait for many. Keep several openings on your plate and in action at once. Many times the wheel stops before you get in the door,m for any number of a thousand reasons.

If you have to eat while waiting, get a night shift or weekend factory or healthcare job. That gives you everyday off to keep looking for something better, or to attend school during the day time.
I've submitted a couple of hundred applications on USAJobs over the past five years or so. I've found it easier to get city and county jobs. If all I cared about was a good retirement plan, I would go back to being a corrections officer. It's hard to beat law enforcement retirement these days.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:48 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Your vacation time/PTO can often be negotiated with your next job. Don't let that stop you from looking/leaving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Unless you are an executive, and/or would have an employment contract, or you would be working in an entrepreneurial-type environment that does not have a formal structure, PTO/vacation time is going to be non-negotiable, in the vast majority of cases.
Quote:
I would have to disagree. Of course union employment and rank and file entry level it wouldn't be...but the majority of others most certainly are negotiable.
I wouldn't mind hearing the names of a few local employers, where this is commonly negotiated, for other than high-level or contract employees.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:49 PM

Why? Are you looking? What field and level?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:27 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Why? Are you looking? What field and level?
Your post suggested PTO is "often" negotiable, but my experience is that is not, with the exceptions I pointed out (executive level, contract employee, unusual talent, entrepreneurial/startup venture, etc.). It would probably be the kiss of death for a prospective employee to request a paid time off allowance beyond the employer's standard allowance, and would eliminate that individual from consideration, at least as far as local employers I am familiar with are concerned.

But if it's pretty commonplace, except for entry-level, as you suggest, there should be a number of them locally. I just don't know who they are. I'd like to hear a few names dropped.

I honestly suspect you are among the very fortunate minority, whose value to an employer is such that you can afford to negotiate benefits and perks that are beyond the standard package provided to rank-and-file employees.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
This pto talk reminds me of the ice breakers commercial.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=orUBFkU18Yg

Old 06-08-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Your post suggested PTO is "often" negotiable, but my experience is that is not, with the exceptions I pointed out (executive level, contract employee, unusual talent, entrepreneurial/startup venture, etc.). It would probably be the kiss of death for a prospective employee to request a paid time off allowance beyond the employer's standard allowance, and would eliminate that individual from consideration, at least as far as local employers I am familiar with are concerned.

But if it's pretty commonplace, except for entry-level, as you suggest, there should be a number of them locally. I just don't know who they are. I'd like to hear a few names dropped.

I honestly suspect you are among the very fortunate minority, whose value to an employer is such that you can afford to negotiate benefits and perks that are beyond the standard package provided to rank-and-file employees.
I don't work for a local employer. Sent you a DM.

Last edited by Pancho-Villa; 06-08-2016 at 11:49 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 07:26 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:

It *is* very rare for PTO to be negotiable in most positions and for most employees.... and I find it odd that despite all the claims here that people achieve this, they do not want to drop names.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:57 AM

That's because some of you may work for these firms now. I didn't want to make anyone feel bad that they didn't use their negotiating skills to obtain a larger amount of PTO upon starting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio