Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:04 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
If it was the East side of SA or downtown you could take the toll rd 130 and come in on IH 10 it wouldn't be bad at all.
I took the toll road a few months ago and it was about $15 one way. That would add up. Plus it's a really long, boring road with nothing to look at the whole way, and I've heard that it's better avoided in the dark because of wildlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:14 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
I think you'd do it once and quit your SA job! No way, find temp housing until you move, go "home" on your days off.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:27 AM

520 posts, read 781,553 times
There are 2 people on my team that live in Austin and work here in San Antonio, both with no or grown kids. Both kept crash pads rather than make that commute during the week while working flex-Fridays and now they both permanently telework (an option that management isn't all that gung-ho about but space constraints and higher ups have necessitated).

Old 10-29-2014, 05:50 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
I have a co-worker that lives in North Austin and commutes to the Lackland area 3 days during the work week and then does on location work (state parks, outdoor activities mostly in the Hill Country) on Saturdays. She does it because she has a teenager and didn't want to move her from her school. She also does not plan on being with us for ages as she has plans to move on at some point. My family has lives in the 10/1604 area since 1999 and my father commutes to San Marcos on a daily basis. We moved to that area so I could go to Clark (we had lived here before and school was a big thing for me). I've since become a grown-up but they're still there, mostly due to the hassle of moving.

I think what I'm saying is that unless you have a very specific reason to be in Austin, move down here. Yes try the commute and decide. For the two people I know it's not a hassle, but for others it sure can be.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:07 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
I would find an extended stay place in town to give you time to find a place to rent instead of doing the commute.
I know it will be expensive, but I think it's better to spend some money and keep your sanity than to try and make that commute.
Also, the only cost of a commute isn't gas, tolls and wear and tear on your car. Your time is worth money, only you can say how much.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 AM

303 posts, read 364,524 times
The south Austin starting point is definitely a good thing, since you avoid the I-35 debacle between 290 and Parmer. However, what is your destination area in San Antonio? That could make a big difference.

If you were doing a South Austin to North San Antonio commute that wouldn't be bad at all for a short time (say a month or so).

I used to commute from the Stone Oak area of San Antonio to NW Austin and leaving at 6:30 AM I could arrive at my office by 8am usually with time to spare. Departing at 5pm usually got me home by 6pm depending on traffic. That was about 8 years ago though...

Old 10-29-2014, 07:41 AM

163 posts, read 198,974 times
I'm going to suggest you follow the advice of many in here and find temp. housing until you can move. That commute is not even worth it. I have a co-worker who thought when he moved here from Chicago it would be a good idea to live in Kyle where his in-laws are...yeah, two months in and he now hates his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio