Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,092 times

Advertisements

I was not given 65 days notice that my lease is up and now they want to raise my rent or get out. According to a friend, the SA Apartment Association states that if you do not receive 65 days notice, they can't make any changes to your lease. They are telling me to sign or leave. What rights do I have. If I don't sign they will place me on month to month for $100 plus market rent. Help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 08:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
When did that change? It's been 5 years since I last rented an apartment, but the way it worked then was that you had to give 30 days notice (or longer if specified in your lease) if you were moving out when the lease ended. If not, it was assumed you would be staying. They usually gave about a month's notice of how much the rent was going up for the new lease, and it did go up every year.

You should have a lease with an end date on it, and it will list how much notice you're required to give if you're moving out and how much notice they're required to give.

The SA Apartment Association is there to help the apartment complexes, not to help you, so don't assume that anything they've done or written into the standard lease will be helpful to you. At least that was the experience I had with them.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:11 AM

76 posts, read 169,104 times
If I remember this correctly, they have to inform you of the new rate 5 days prior to when you need to give notice that you won't be renewing.

So if your lease agreement stated you had to give 60 days notice of leaving, then they should have informed you 65 days prior to the lease ending of the new rates. It basically gives you 5 days to decide if you want to stay and agree to the new terms or give notice your leaving at the end of your lease.

You probably can argue that they allow you to stay for an additional 60 days(or however long you are required to give notice) at the current rate, but after that you need to be prepared to move out.

Or you just sign the contract and start paying the new rate.

Last edited by kidd_91; 11-04-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 11-04-2014, 09:35 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,455 times
Default Try this

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov.../tenants.shtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio