Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:39 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times

Advertisements

We've probably discussed all these and more at great length, since we are all a bunch of foodies, but I saw this on mysa.com and thought the noobs might appreciate it.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/salife/stories/MYSA010108.01P.Mommyhood.d0d349.html (broken link)

We are sort of past this stage, but feel free to post any that you know of. Also, the ones where kids eat free! We were just at Spaghetti Warehouse last night and kids eat free on Sundays, I think it was. Or maybe it was 99 cents on Tuesdays. Heck, it was New Year's Eve and I'm old, I don't remember, but I know they are very kid-friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
Any discussion of kid-friendly restaurants in SA must include The Magic Time Machine. My kids are too old and jaded to go there now, but it was one of the first places we visited when we moved to town.

My kids are also too old to partake of Kids Eat Free specials now, but we made use of those deals for years. I'm happy to share what I know on the subject.

Last year, MySA.com published a longer list of restaurants with KEF specials at the link below. A few of the places are no longer in business (RIP, Buck's Landing and Back Yard Burgers ) but the list is still useful.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/dining/stories/MYSA052605.dining.kids.2b344e05c.html (broken link)

Old 01-01-2008, 08:27 PM

778 posts, read 2,502,958 times
I like the idea of the Kid's eat Free deals (though, my kids probably exceeded any eligibility about 15 years ago). But aside from that, aren't places that deem themselves "Kid Friendly" just an invitation to parents who are embarrassed by the fact that they haven't taught their kids to behave, and by dining at such a place, they hope not to get the ugly looks they would normally garner from diners at restaurants that cater to adults and well behaved children?

I mean, I'm certainly no snob and prefer to dine in places where jeans are acceptable dress, but doesn't anyone practice manners and behavior with their children before taking them to eat in public anymore?

Running around? Making loud and obnoxious noise? Oh hell no! Save that for Disney. At a restaurant, you sit down, eat and converse politely in a low tone. You can go back to being the little heathens at home!!

Or I could be wrong.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:35 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
I agree with you re the kids behaving badly in public (or at home, actually). So people like us use these lists as places to avoid.

I didn't like going to Chuck E. Cheese with my kids when they were small, so I know I'd hate it even more now. We had a nearly-bad experience at Spaghetti Warehouse just last night--which seems to be kid-friendly in a quieter way. Thankfully, the child's mother was kind enough to remove him, so as not to ruin everyone's dining experience. That's not usually the case, though!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:19 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
I like the idea of the Kid's eat Free deals (though, my kids probably exceeded any eligibility about 15 years ago). But aside from that, aren't places that deem themselves "Kid Friendly" just an invitation to parents who are embarrassed by the fact that they haven't taught their kids to behave, and by dining at such a place, they hope not to get the ugly looks they would normally garner from diners at restaurants that cater to adults and well behaved children?

I mean, I'm certainly no snob and prefer to dine in places where jeans are acceptable dress, but doesn't anyone practice manners and behavior with their children before taking them to eat in public anymore?

Running around? Making loud and obnoxious noise? Oh hell no! Save that for Disney. At a restaurant, you sit down, eat and converse politely in a low tone. You can go back to being the little heathens at home!!

Or I could be wrong.
No, you're not. But I take "kid-friendly" to mean casual, with a kid's menu. I will never, would never, and have never allowed my kids to run around. (They are 9 and 12, now). My in-laws always wondered why I would take them outside on occasion..well, if they were bothering ME, then surely they were bothering others.

We, as a family, are always amazed at those who let their little ones run around, whether it is at a store, restaurant, whatever. I see kids "Heely" around Costco, run up and down the aisles at Target and Wal-Mart, leave their trash in fast food restaurants. As a teacher, I watch as parents let their young ones play with things on my desk, run around, etc., while we are conferencing about their child.

Sorry, you got me going. It just irks me that I have always made an effort to make my children aware of their surroundings, while they watch other kids misbehave!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:38 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,553,693 times
Nah, sapphire, your intention was good!!!!

We really like one of the restaurants that were mentioned in the article ~ The Cove! Fabulous!

And one that wasn't mentioned in the article but was referenced in our forum before was MoMaks. That looks great! I think we should all get together there!

And to me, kid friendly just means that kids are welcome there. I could post a long story about all the adventures that our family has had dining in various establishments (with 7 kids, and traveling cross country several times, we've had a few!!), but I won't bore everyone. I will say that I do agree with the position of teaching kids how to behave in restaurants and that's how we've always approached it. We could easily take our kids to Le Reve and not be embarrassed or cause a disturbance. But sometimes it's just nice to be able to let the kids play on the play structure while sipping a cold beverage and chatting with the other adults, too. And when you're at a place like that, everyone expects it. Just a different atmosphere.

"Or I could be wrong." (Love that! Can I steal it SilverCreek???!)

Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,422 times
Alamo cafe on 281 has a nice big play area outside where kids can run off that excess energy before a meal.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
At a lot of the places I know of that proudly brand themselves "kid-friendly," the play areas are either behind glass doors (like McDonalds playplace) or outside (like Blue Cactus or Buck's Landing). If you prefer to avoid other diners' ill-behaved kids, it's still possible to enjoy a reasonably quiet meal by sitting away from those well-defined play areas.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:16 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,338 times
Momaks on Jones Maltsberger has a big play area for kids! Personally I dont like their type of food.. as I really dont like hamburgers and stuff like that but I am sure for kids it would be good. This is not to say that their food is bad.. I just dont like hamburgers.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:19 AM

933 posts, read 1,978,392 times
Moderator cut: orphaned post

Our favorite places to go, that our girls ask for by name , are:

Beefy's Backyard. Way up yonder on 281. HUGE outdoor play area with playground equipment, mini soccer field and 1/4 court basketball. Their food quantity is huge, great prices and OMG I go there just for the chili and onion rings!
Chacho's at Perrin Bietel has a huge indoor play area. Mexican/Tex Mex fare...and the mesquite beef tacos are to die for! Oh, and do not get me started on the "slice" of german chocolate cake that took over a plate and was a mere $1.99.
Willie's on 281 has a sandbox. I know, something simple, but our girls love it! Outdoor seating as well as indoor with a clear view of the kids. More great food and good prices.

Willie's happens to be next door to a McD's with a play place and our 3 year old said, there is McD's. They have a play place, but we are not going there. LOL

Last edited by Hoosier; 01-18-2008 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio