Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,414 times

Advertisements

I noticed water draining from my front yard and decided to check it out. What I found was my meter was under water. After I bailed some water out I could hear and see where the leak was coming from. The leak itself is coming from where the pipe connects to the SAWS water meter. I reported this issue tonight to them and they said they should have someone out to check it out in the morning. My question is since it is inside the SAWS box, right at the meter is this a SAWS issue? Here is a pic and where the leak is.

Water Leak - Have Question-leak001.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 07:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
From the pic it looks like it is on your side of the meter. The meter and before is SAWS to fix, after the meter, it's yers. If that's the case, I would strongly suggest you do not call any of the "We Fix Everything" companies. They will send a salesman to up sell you and their rates are ridiculous.
The guy I use for repairs is reasonable but a little slow. Might give him a call, if needed.
A C Garcia 432-3592 Home 724-5012 cell

Old 11-08-2014, 08:08 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
It looks like the leak is coming from where your line connects to the SAWS meter. So as to who is responsible, I can't say for sure, but it may be SAWS, especially if it is the connection itself. if it were actually the pipe itself on your side of the meter, it would be your responsibility.

In a situation like you have, I would call SAWS first, before calling a plumber.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:37 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default I agree,

The leak is still inside the City Easement, not on your property. Hell- the leak is even inside the Meter Box.
SAWS, should fix it. It seems they agree or I don't think they would not be sending anyone out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
It looks like the leak is coming from where your line connects to the SAWS meter. So as to who is responsible, I can't say for sure, but it may be SAWS, especially if it is the connection itself. if it were actually the pipe itself on your side of the meter, it would be your responsibility.

In a situation like you have, I would call SAWS first, before calling a plumber.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:18 PM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg5150 View Post
I noticed water draining from my front yard and decided to check it out. What I found was my meter was under water. After I bailed some water out I could hear and see where the leak was coming from. The leak itself is coming from where the pipe connects to the SAWS water meter. I reported this issue tonight to them and they said they should have someone out to check it out in the morning. My question is since it is inside the SAWS box, right at the meter is this a SAWS issue? Here is a pic and where the leak is.

Attachment 138999
I had this exact problem a few years back (only difference is my meter is in the alley) and had to fight SAWS to repair it and not charge me for the insane bill caused by the leak. I am not in the alley except to trim weeds so I never knew about the leak until I got the bill.

Turned out that a utility truck ran over the box and caused the pipe to leak on my side of the meter but before it actually went into my back yard causing water to flow down the alley into a drain not far away.

Point is, even though SAWS and that poster said that you are responsible for any leak on your side....that is not always true and I was successful in fighting SAWS against this in my case.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:02 AM

First off folks, the meter box does not belong to SAWS and SAWS did not install it. The plumber that did the house when built installs the meter box and also provides it. Like anything else with the plumbing system, the box is pretty much specific in its specs but they all are not identical. SAWS provides the piping from the water main and the meter- that's theirs to fix. After that, it's yers including the hookup AT the meter. Sometimes SAWS guys, if they see a real simple fix, will fix it. But consider it a freeby as they are not required to fix anything that belongs to you....and the line from the meter belongs to you including the connection at the meter.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:51 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
First off folks, the meter box does not belong to SAWS and SAWS did not install it. The plumber that did the house when built installs the meter box and also provides it. Like anything else with the plumbing system, the box is pretty much specific in its specs but they all are not identical. SAWS provides the piping from the water main and the meter- that's theirs to fix. After that, it's yers including the hookup AT the meter. Sometimes SAWS guys, if they see a real simple fix, will fix it. But consider it a freeby as they are not required to fix anything that belongs to you....and the line from the meter belongs to you including the connection at the meter.
The meter box in front of my house has "CITY WATER BOARD" (what SAWS was formerly known as) cast into it. I always assumed the water utility installed those, but my house was pre-owned when I bought it. I think all the meter boxes on my block are exactly like mine, lettering and all.

That's one of the reasons I suggested the OP contact SAWS first. If they come out, and it turns out to be the customer's responsibility, they won't touch it, and you'll be told to call a plumber, at your own expense. If you call a plumber first, and it turns out to be SAWS responsibility, the plumber might charge for a service call, to compensate for the trip & his time.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:48 PM

Well yer certainly dating your meter box. City Water Board existed from 1925 to 1989. The CWB as a business practice would install all of the main piping in a subdivision and set the meter. At one time there was no charge for the meter. But every lot had a meter regardless if there was a house built or not. Along comes SAWS in 1989 and everything changed. SAWS does not install any piping at all. They have SAWS approved contractors that install it, SAWS inspects it and the line is run to the property but no meter is set, the pipe is capped off. Same with sewer, it's installed in the street but no tap provided. Sewer is installed by the same subcontractor as the water. When the house is going to close, the builder orders the meter, pays for the meter, and several weeks later, the meter is installed. The plumber then comes in and sets the meter box and makes the hookup with the supply line to the house. When CWB was doing their own installs, they provided the meter box, SAWS doesn't provide much of anything, they just like sending bills. So now you see why the meter and the main side of the meter SAWS will fix. Anything past the meter belongs to the home owner. While I'm not necessarily a fan of SAWS, they're a lot easier to work with than the old Bexer Met. Now that bunch was a wreck. I still know of houses on the far eastside that to this day have no meter. I paid for it but Bexar Met never installed it. One day I'll get a phone call from either the home owner or SAWs about it. But until then, the owner is getting free water. Can you say SSSHHHHH

Old 11-10-2014, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,414 times
I contacted SAWS the night I noticed the leak and determined where it was. That was a Saturday night. The guy on the phone at the time said they will get someone out as soon as possible. I asked if it was that night or tomorrow (Sunday) He assured me it would not be that night but may be first thing in the morning, early afternoon. I explained the issue and the person could, by my description, not tell me if it was a SAWS issue or an issue I would need to get fixed. I cut the water off at the only place possible, right before the meter as I did not want my bill to be high due to the ammount of water leaking.

Most of the day Sunday goes by with no one in site. I called back and the guy I talked to this time stated that it could be 24-48 hours from the time I reported it. I asked again where the issue lies (I had not checked back here) he stated he could not determine that and that someone should be out soon.

Monday is here and around 3pm no show. I call SAWS back and this time I talk to a lady that 100% reassured me that the issue is with my end of the service, stating that if I could cut the water off then it was not a SAWS issue. I even explained that if it was the coupling that connected to my pipe, and she said it was my issue. Stating again that if I had the ability to stop the water flow (shut off before the meter) that it was an issue on my end. I asked when someone would be out to look at it. She advised that it would be 3-5 business days from the time the report came in that someone would be out to check out this "Routine leak"

Old 11-11-2014, 10:36 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,123 times
Search in this forum. I'm sure you'll find that others have had similiar problems, perhaps you'll see the outcomes if they followed up in the message thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: