Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times

Advertisements

I saw a story on the news about a cold case from the early 80s involving a murder that took place at the Balcones Heights location of Po Folks. Though the old footage showed several shots of the outside, of the restaurant I was having trouble figuring out where it was located. Was it on Fredericksburg Road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 PM

163 posts, read 544,484 times
I remember the one behind McCreless Mall...good stuff.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,757,690 times
The one on Fredericksburg was just a little ways down from Balcones Road. It was between Balcones and North Plaza where the flea market is. I remember they had good rolls, unless I'm mistaken.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:36 PM

337 posts, read 1,426,655 times
Oh wow...talk about a blast from the past! I loved that place, but my neighborhood PoFolks was in Tulsa, OK! (It's gone now too...sniff, sniff) I think my last visit was an anniversary party for my grandparents and my whole family went there....uncles, aunts, cousins....all of us. I'm sure we ate lots of the chicken and dumplings!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,155,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The one on Fredericksburg was just a little ways down from Balcones Road. It was between Balcones and North Plaza where the flea market is. I remember they had good rolls, unless I'm mistaken.
It's now a Denny's. Right next to Whataburger.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:33 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,396,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Wasn't it owned by Jimmy Dean or someone that was a singer (Country type)???
Bill Anderson was the spokesperson and also had part ownership in a few. All lost money and went belly-up. Over expansion, poor choices for locations.

We had one near Pittsburgh. One of the few places that everyone in the family vowed to never go in again. I'm not trying to pick but even the family dog wouldn't go near the meatloaf when we brought the leftovers home. That's never a good sign. The only way they could justify calling it "home cooking" would be if the chef grew up and lived in the factory that processed it.

Gimme a Cracker Barrel anytime, there's some cooking.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:15 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,757,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
No. That's on Crossroads by the mall. Po Folks was on the same block as the flea market.

...Unless they changed locations at some point, which is possible. But that's not where they were when I ate there.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:31 PM

26 posts, read 143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post

As far as I can remember, that Denny's has always been a Denny's. Po Folks was on Fredericksburg and from my recollection was in the building where the Pizza Hut is now. Looking at google maps, this is the location. Make sure you enable street view. The Pizza Hut used to be located further south on Fredericksburg across the street from the strip mall where China Harbor and Peter Piper Pizza are. Speaking of that location, wasn't there a Sears of JCPenney in there. I remember going there when I was young to get my Cub/Boy Scout stuff.

I also vaguely recall a Po Folks location on Babcock Rd. but it was a very small place and there is a place called Educare Child Care there now. The location is here. I could be wrong about this but I remember getting some really good food there, mainly sandwiches and I could swear it was called Po Folks. Actually, memories of pizza are coming to me about that place. If it wasn't Po Folks, can someone tell me what else it could be?

Since I'm getting close to the Woodlawn Area, does anyone remember the Time Tunnels?

Last edited by mpfree; 04-24-2008 at 03:00 PM..

Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No. That's on Crossroads by the mall. Po Folks was on the same block as the flea market.

...Unless they changed locations at some point, which is possible. But that's not where they were when I ate there.
Not to argue but that's the one I use to go to before it closed up. The only reason I remember it because one day I drove by and noticed it became a Denny's. It does front on Fredericksburg Rd. It may have very well started out further down the road though....

Old 04-24-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Bill Anderson was the spokesperson and also had part ownership in a few. All lost money and went belly-up. Over expansion, poor choices for locations.

We had one near Pittsburgh. One of the few places that everyone in the family vowed to never go in again. I'm not trying to pick but even the family dog wouldn't go near the meatloaf when we brought the leftovers home. That's never a good sign. The only way they could justify calling it "home cooking" would be if the chef grew up and lived in the factory that processed it.

Gimme a Cracker Barrel anytime, there's some cooking.
You know I had an issue with their meat loaf too. I remember telling someone that I don't know what they used to make this stuff but it ain't ground beef. (Road kill maybe ????)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio