Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:18 AM

1,323 posts, read 588,187 times

Advertisements

I find Austin incredibly appealing for early childhood education in terms of the numerous alternative preschools available. Everything from a newly formed STEM pre-school, to co-ops to others that are nature-based and rarely have the children inside. Others are based on the Sudbury model or are considered democratic schools (children take a lead role in curriculum development and conflict resolution).

Does San Antonio have schools like this? A quick search for Austin schools brings up sites like Alt Ed Austin, which is a crunchy mom's dream, with literally dozens of choices. But a search for San Antonio schools results in a few schools at most, like The Circle School. Everything else seems to either be Montessori or Christian-based.

Did I miss any other progressive schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 06:17 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
The only one I know of is The Circle School, which fits that criteria but I'd describe it as less based on any model and more based on parental ideals, which change depending on who's there at the time.

Probably the closest to it is The Acorn School, which IS more model oriented. I used to describe that as the much more organized and structured version of the Circle School. I found it rather conservative though.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:02 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
IDK but this a school is all about strong parental involvement...

Welcome to Discovery School

Old 12-02-2014, 02:17 PM

841 posts, read 1,746,579 times
Discovery School: I have had very good recommendations from progressive parents (that moved here from Austin, coincidentally).

While I agree with Chaka that The Circle School is probably based more on parental ideals (it is a co-op), they do have a core of teachers that have been there a number of years; and there has been a renewed focus lately on their historic "family tree" of educational theories.

Acorn: The parents I know who send their kids to Acorn are more conservative, but they do say good things about it.

The best way to determine the correct fit is to call each of them, talk with their directors, and arrange a visit.

Other than those three... I can't really think of any other non-Christian, non-Montessori private option.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:56 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,414 times
WTH is a 'crunchy mom"?

Old 12-02-2014, 05:40 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
Crunchy refers to granola and comes from the original adherents to an organic healthy living lifestyle. Crunchy moms can range from cloth diapering, homemade baby food making moms to homeschoolers, no vaccines, all the way to off the grid. A lot of what was originally "crunchy" is pretty mainstream now. Of course any of the mentioned things are also adhered to beamy "non-crunchy" moms too. Just giving you a general idea.

Sorry I have no help with progressive info for schools.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:57 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Crunchy refers to granola and comes from the original adherents to an organic healthy living lifestyle. Crunchy moms can range from cloth diapering, homemade baby food making moms to homeschoolers, no vaccines, all the way to off the grid. A lot of what was originally "crunchy" is pretty mainstream now. Of course any of the mentioned things are also adhered to beamy "non-crunchy" moms too. Just giving you a general idea.

Sounds more like a Amish lady.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:25 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post

It sounds like the OP would be A LOT happier in Austin.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:47 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Exactly! LOL +1

Old 12-02-2014, 08:47 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Best answer, +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio