Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 01:03 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
They still have to send law enforcement, EMS, and fire to the outer edges of the county. Some of those gated communities have been a pain in the butt for BCSO. Gated communities aren't any safer than non-gated communities. They actually have the added danger of gate codes that are constantly changing and can sometimes delay emergency services.
I already have Law Enforcement, EMS and Fire here, so the city providing it in the future isn't an added benefit to me.

I'd dispute that gated communities aren't any safer. There's an additional bottleneck making it slightly more difficult to get in, also there are cameras at the gate and we can check who came in.
Our community has so far proven much safer than one we are connected to that doesn't have gates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 01:19 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,196,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Laws can always be changed, especially easy in Texas if it sounds like unions support them.
Conversely, it also means that these laws may not be changed either seeing as Texas is a "Right To Work" state (meaning weak labor involvement).

Old 12-12-2014, 02:33 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Conversely, it also means that these laws may not be changed either seeing as Texas is a "Right To Work" state (meaning weak labor involvement).
That was the point I was making, police/ city employees unions like the laws that let them live where they want. It would be easy to build a smear anti union campaign to repeal the legislation.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:53 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I already have Law Enforcement, EMS and Fire here, so the city providing it in the future isn't an added benefit to me.
That wasn't the point. The point was that the city will have to take on the burden of providing these services to the annexed areas. Your original response to me was that the city won't have to provide anything for the gated communities. That is not true.

Quote:
I'd dispute that gated communities aren't any safer. There's an additional bottleneck making it slightly more difficult to get in, also there are cameras at the gate and we can check who came in.
Our community has so far proven much safer than one we are connected to that doesn't have gates.
Risk of crime in gated communities -- ScienceDaily

Prevention of Crime: An Overview of Gated Communities and Neighborhood Watch - International Foundation for Protection OfficersInternational Foundation for Protection Officers

Gated communities don't make us safer. So why do we buy into it? - Las Vegas Weekly

Gated communities: Gates don't make communities safer - Sun Sentinel

Old 12-12-2014, 05:12 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Quote:
That wasn't the point. The point was that the city will have to take on the burden of providing these services to the annexed areas. Your original response to me was that the city won't have to provide anything for the gated communities. That is not true.
I think the argument that is being made, is that residents in unincorporated areas already have those services provided by the County, or by private providers. If they get annexed, the City starts levying property taxes, and then assumes responsibility for most, if not all of those services. But the residents will argue that they will still be paying County taxes, even after annexation.

On another note, I read in the paper a couple of days ago, that County Judge Nelson Wolff is accusing the City of San Antonio of dragging their feet on incorporating these areas, so it does indeed sound like the County is behind this effort, more so than the City.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
On another note, I read in the paper a couple of days ago, that County Judge Nelson Wolff is accusing the City of San Antonio of dragging their feet on incorporating these areas, so it does indeed sound like the County is behind this effort, more so than the City.
Right you are. I posted the link to that article upthread.

It's not the city that's trying to lasso you county folks, kicking and screaming, all the way into its corral of taxes and regulation.

It's the county, admitting it doesn't have the resources to serve remote subdivisions adequately and asking the city to let you into said corral.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:23 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
Quote:
They're certainly gaining a benefit of the tax dollars to pay for it or they wouldn't be doing it.
I'd prefer they didn't, because I'm not gaining anything.

Quote:
Research published this month in the journal Justice Quarterly confirms that homes in gated communities are subjected to fewer burglaries than those in non-gated communities.
Sweet, thanks for proving my point!
Quote:
However, there is evidence that these communities not only push crime to other, less secure, neighbourhoods, but also present an increased risk of other crimes, including "intimate partner violence."
That's the point, I want the criminals to stay out of my community and if they insist on being detriments to society, they do it somewhere else.
Neither my wife or I are at much risk for hurting each other.
Quote:
Prevention of Crime: An Overview of Gated Communities and Neighborhood Watch - International Foundation for Protection OfficersInternational Foundation for Protection Officers
The property values of gated communities are also higher than those outside the walls. Some real estate experts estimate that the gates can easily add $50,000 or more to property values...
The major question that is asked of gated communities is “Do they really keep crime rates down?” The answer seems to be yes, but only by very little.
Score!
Quote:
In gated communities, the trend is that crimes against the person go down and stay down in controlled access developments. This occurs because perpetrators do not want to go to an area that they are unfamiliar with and where it might be hard for them to make an escape. “According to preliminary research, crimes such as burglary drop in the first year or so of gating, but then rise back to the level of the areas outside”(Diamond 4).
So at worse it's the same according to this. My experience in my community and the one directly connected (but gated off) is that their crime is worse and we've had very few incidents. Even less graffiti which the first link suggested would rise.

Is a gated community a safe haven? Not necessarily, but we change our codes often, we have many cameras on both gates and the Sheriff patrols nearby since it's a hotspot for speeders. We're a small community, with a fairly tightknit group of neighbors.

We already have police, we already have fire fighters, we pay for our own trash pickup at modest cost.
Even if we got rid of the gates, it's already been made clear that we'd still have to pay to maintain our own roads so explain to me the benefits to me of paying extra taxes for trash pickup? I really don't see it.

This is a win for the City, but certainly not for us.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:34 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
We already have police, we already have fire fighters, we pay for our own trash pickup at modest cost.
Even if we got rid of the gates, it's already been made clear that we'd still have to pay to maintain our own roads so explain to me the benefits to me of paying extra taxes for trash pickup? I really don't see it.
Trash and recycling pickup in the City Of San Antonio is tacked on to your CPS Energy bill. Currently, it's $21.93 for me. So, you would still be paying separately for that service, in this case, you would be paying the City, on top of your property taxes, for that service, instead of a private company.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:29 PM

657 posts, read 1,937,177 times
Quote:
I think the argument that is being made, is that residents in unincorporated areas already have those services provided by the County, or by private providers. If they get annexed, the City starts levying property taxes, and then assumes responsibility for most, if not all of those services. But the residents will argue that they will still be paying County taxes, even after annexation.

If county services are anywhere near as good as City services in the unincorporated areas, then that is a huge subsidy to those unincorporated areas from the incorporated ones. Everyone pays equal property taxes in Bexar county for Bexar county services, while much of that service is utilized in unincorporated areas.

Any dense suburban area should become incorporated either through annexation or creating their own cities. That is the only fair way to provide professional Police and Fire service. BCSO should not be thought of as nor provide the services of a professional city police force.

If that county service is too good then the citizens of the county who live in incorporated areas should vote in Commissioners court members who will defund BCSO and County Fire services until it is painful enough to those in unincorporated areas to want incorporation.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:32 PM

657 posts, read 1,937,177 times
Quote:
So does everyone else in the County pay County taxes. Why do people in unincorporated areas think those tax dollars should be used to provide Professional City style services to them? Hint: They shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio