Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:26 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,116 times

Advertisements

People in SA have been very warm and welcoming to me (a CA transplant). I've noticed no problems on that front. A lot of times, people would ask me why in the world I would move to SA from CA, but in a sympathetic sense only. It's been my experience that the San Antonians have respected Californians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:17 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
With the huge military presence here, transplants aren't really an issue. The only people I could see being unwelcome would be people who complain that the place isn't like (fill in another place here).

Old 01-04-2008, 06:15 AM

3 posts, read 5,674 times
That is great; then my family should be fine.....we really don't want SA to be like the place we are trying to leave.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
That's usually a great way to feel welcomed. Mention how much better the new place is than the old one.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I was transplanted here 5 years ago. I can't recall a time since then when I have felt unwelcome. Admittedly, I don't talk a lot about where I came from, except to favorably compare the warmer winter here.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:36 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
rd2007 summed it up perfectly. There are just too many out-of-staters who have made SA home for this to be an issue. The farther someone comes from also usually carries with it some fascination, at least for me.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 AM

343 posts, read 1,305,330 times
I think that as long as you come here and don't cause any problems or are a bad neighbor everything should be fine. You should be treated well and with respect.

But if on the other hand you are rude or cause problems, then expect to be treated bad.

I read an article where a family moved to Texas from California. One reason was the cost of living and expensive homes. The other was to move their children away from the gangs in California. The problem is that their children brought their gang activity here and were causing problems.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
As a double transplant (we've moved here twice, I used to be in the USAF), my opinion is that the only time transplants are looked down on are for the reasons already stated, badmouthing it here or saying things were much better back wherever you came from. Otherwise, we have found Texas to be very welcoming and friendly, which is why we decided to stay after the second move.

Embrace Texas and its people and it will embrace you. This is a great state and truly deserving of its fine reputation worldwide. Honestly, in all my travels I have found people to get most more excited when you tell them you are from Texas than any other state (I am originally from Florida). This is not to badmouth any of other states, I've lived in many of them and enjoyed them as well; but when it comes down to picking where I wanted to live (instead of the USAF picking that place for me), the choice was easy.

Texas, it's like a whole other country!

And let me be among the first to welcome you here!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-04-2008, 10:55 AM

53 posts, read 90,842 times
I forget I'm not a native (we moved here from florida 3 years ago) and we love it here.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 AM

84 posts, read 219,108 times
We are military central so transplants are always welcome! Altough I've lived here my whole life I still get "dirty looks" when visiting my mother in law on the inner part of the westside. I don't think a lot of people over there like white blondes?? Or maybe it's because they see me a "white woman" married to a hispanic man? Who knows? You shouldn't have any problems on the North/NorthWest side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio