Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 06:36 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay1 View Post
Nothing I wrote was judgmental.

What is silly is paying extra money in order to avoid performing a basic driving maneuver you have had over 30 years to learn how to do proficiently.
hmmmm......

Nothing I wrote was judgmental.

hmmmm......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 07:03 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I would just say that driving exam in this country is so easy, like the driving itself. Generally lots of people don't even know the rules well or how to behave on the road. There are only very few traffic signs to learn too.
How many times I noticed people on 4 way stop not knowing who goes first, people who don't know how to merge into traffic, how to safely park a vehicle on the shoulder in emergency, people who park on two parking spaces, too far from the curb, to close to intersection, don't use turn signal, etc... etc...
Those things should be learned and practiced in a driving school, but people learn how to drive with their parents or friends, who don't know it either. They have poor driving techniques when is raining, or slippery, or in fog, or God forbid when is freezing, and the car skids. Older drivers acquire some skills with the years of driving, but novice who just get a drivers license has very few skills, and driving in a big city is challenging. There are mostly two types of novice - those who think they know how to drive, and those who are terrified.
And frankly, even driver education does not produce safer drivers. The courses generally are of short duration, and most of the time has to be spent teaching basic vehicle handling skills. This leaves less time to try to teach safe driving skills.
Exams are silly. All you need to know is how to manage to stay on your lane, turn and brake. Even parallel driving seems to be to much of a skill, or skill that is not necessary to know.
San Antonio is a fairly big city with at times heavy traffic, and while we might not park parallel often, it's a technique worth to learn, especially if you plan to travel elsewhere.

Spoiler

Last edited by elnina; 12-17-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 12-24-2014, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,522 times
Hello everyone I took my Driving road test I can't say it was easy for me but! I can't passed and my drivers licence yay! The only thing that I didnt understand Was how do they score you asked if I askedhad passed and what was My score the lady oh u passed ur fine but the Papper had a -22 I guess Those are the point s taken off IDK

Old 12-25-2014, 06:01 PM

117 posts, read 171,408 times
You lose points for things you do wrong or poorly-- not signalling properly or not maintaining good lane control etc.

You need a 70 to pass.

Basically unless you do something illegal or hit something then you pass.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:13 PM

448 posts, read 813,162 times
Quote:
I would just say that driving exam in this country is so easy, like the driving itself.
This is the truth. Texas in general is blessed with decent weather (at least as far as driving is concerned) and wide lanes. IMO people get into bad driving habits because the driving is so easy. I drove a stick in Scotland a few years back. Boy howdy do those guys know how to drive. Little cars, tiny, winding lanes, tons of signs - and all on the wrong side of the road. I was impressed at the vehicle handling skills there compared to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio