Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:16 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedSouthwards View Post
Recent grad in Civil Engineering from Boston University..however I have familial financial support as a cushion until I find something. It's easier to find a job when you're in the area already.

I'm 22, so I don't plan on buying anytime soon, renting for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
To the OP...welcome from a BU alum. Got my MBA there (albeit in 1987). Undergrad in civil engineering from UT Austin. You will do fine here not speaking Spanish. It is nice to pick up sometime, but this isn't Miami. Great place for civil engineers too. Market has its ups and downs, but where doesn't. Definitely on the upside now.
Go Terriers!

As you suggested, the culture of the area is more "American/Tex-Mex". Yes, you will hear Spanish spoken here, just like you often hear it in Boston from Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. Engineering would not strike me as an area where speaking Spanish would be an asset.

As others mentioned, though, the heat is incredible. Even after 25 years, it's something I have not adjusted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 10:26 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,851 times
I am an anglo female, born and raised in SA. I do not speak Spanish and I am perfectly fine lol. My husband's family is Mexican American and speak Spanish 50% of the time at family gatherings.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:53 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default San Antonio Water Wells ,

As mentioned earlier by poster Ryentwo a pipeline will divert water north, from Austin to bring water to San Antone.
Desalination of underground water here could only supply 10% to 15% of San Antonio's daily usage.
An inadequate solution.
Government Canyon Park is a re-charge zone for the aquifer and will remain that, nothing is to be built there. Saws sold that property to the state under this agreement. The aquifer in Uvalde was to be tapped at one time for us, but no. It is a part of the same aquifer where we get our water anyway- but is - if I remember correctly, pumped from a lower elevation than here underneath San Antonio.
Twin Oaks Reservoir , south of town, is gone. No more can be drawn from that, the surrounding
farm wells were beginning to go dry.
Someday, eventually , water from the Gulf will have to be desalinated for the growing population of San Antonio.
Water Bills--- you ask ? Hang on to your hat !!!
No, we are not identical to Mexico, Yank. You will be fine here. Bienvenido a San Antonio. Not to worry.
Watch for the Fire Ants however, and the jumping cactus.

Last edited by huckster; 01-03-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 PM

45 posts, read 60,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
As mentioned earlier by poster Ryentwo a pipeline will divert water north, from Austin to bring water to San Antone.
Desalination of underground water here could only supply 10% to 15% of San Antonio's daily usage.
An inadequate solution.
Government Canyon Park is a re-charge zone for the aquifer and will remain that, nothing is to be built there. Saws sold that property to the state under this agreement. The aquifer in Uvalde was to be tapped at one time for us, but no. It is a part of the same aquifer where we get our water anyway- but is - if I remember correctly, pumped from a lower elevation than here underneath San Antonio.
Twin Oaks Reservoir , south of town, is gone. No more can be drawn from that, the surrounding
farm wells were beginning to go dry.
Someday, eventually , water from the Gulf will have to be desalinated for the growing population of San Antonio.
Water Bills--- you ask ? Hang on to your hat !!!
No, we are not identical to Mexico, Yank. You will be fine here. Bienvenido a San Antonio. Not to worry.
Watch for the Fire Ants however, and the jumping cactus.
Wrong.

Water will be diverted from Burleson County, which is just west of College Station.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:08 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,700 times
Who cares where it comes from? As long as it comes.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:34 PM

Default Close enough,

Wow! Major area shift. OK. I will acquiesce. Knew it was somewhere north. I can tell you exactly if I ask.
Is that the Trinity aquifer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckitralph View Post
Wrong.

Water will be diverted from Burleson County, which is just west of College Station.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:36 PM

Default I know Pancho,

More water is a very good thing. It is from "up north".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Who cares where it comes from? As long as it comes.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:43 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
One thing to keep in mind is that S.A. is also a very military-connected city. Lots of active duty, military retired, veterans and of course, civilians with jobs with the bases. So there's people from all over the country (and for that matter, some parts of the world) living here. And as you know, lots of Hispanic people, most of whom also speak English quite well and the percentage of Hispanics here is projected to increase in the future. It's a good mix of people, with widely varying political viewpoints. Water availability will always be an issue, with water rationing going on most of the time. In spite of that, the area also has a history of dangerous flash flooding, being within an area known as "Flash Flood Alley" due to certain aspects of its geographical terrain and poor drainage in certain parts, so caution is advised during flooding. The people of S.A. are for the most part, very friendly to outsiders.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:53 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times
Ugh! Don't make this thread about water.

OP you will be fine. I'm Swedish (born there and parents are from there), grew up in Michigan and Pennsylvania, and very much enjoy living in San Antonio.

The similar thread you posted in the Austin forum stated you wanted to live somewhere rural and 30-40 minutes to the city. Alamo Heights is far from rural and is just north of downtown. Austin folks were recommending Boerne for you and that is a nice town that isn't so little anymore.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:12 PM

448 posts, read 812,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedSouthwards View Post
San Antonio seems to have the right amount of growth where it is still very healthy economically, whilst not losing the small town, Southern/Southwestern feel that is so characteristic of Texas (correct me if I'm wrong!)
I would characterize the city as being southwestern. There's definitely some Southern and Western/Texan culture, but there's so much Spanish history and a high percentage of Hispanics that it has always reminded much more of other Southwestern cities that I have been too rather than Southern cities. For comparison I grew up in Northeast Texas which is more similar to what you think of when you think of Southern culture. I think San Antonio has a unique history and charm and hasn't lost that at all with the recent growth.

Quote:
Firstly, will being a monolingual English speaking white person be a hindrance to me, both socially and professionally? Do non-Latino people face any kind of discrimination/predjudice?

Secondly, it is my understanding that although most of the city's residents are Hispanic, they are mostly native born Americans going back several generations, is this right? If so, is the culture of the area more "American/Tex-Mex" as in English is widely spoken and if someone was dropped off there with no idea where they were they would be able to discern they were in the United States?
No. This is America, not Mexico. The multi-generational Hispanics around here aren't much different than multi-generational Italians or Irish in the Northeast. And while San Antonio is majority Hispanic, it's also majority white as a good chunk of those Hispanics are white Hispanics, so it may not 'feel' like a majority Hispanic area to you.

Quote:
I ask the second question because although I do appreciate Latino culture, I have been to Mexico several times (Mazatlan, Mexico City, Guadalajara, Oaxaca) and if the feeling of the city is mostly identical to being actually in Mexico, I do not know if I would feel comfortable.
It's not at all like being in Mexico. Much like being in Boston is not at all like being in Ireland or being in San Francisco is not at all like being in Asia. Those areas definitely reflect the culture and history of the immigrants living there, but it's definitely 'America'. The vast majority of the city is typical suburban sprawl - the main difference being that San Antonio's city limits grew with the city rather than becoming boxed and surrounded by other suburban cities, so the suburbs are actually in the city rather than outside of it for the most part - The northeast side of town is an exception. In that regard it's very similar to sprawl around the country.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio