Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 AM

132 posts, read 207,909 times

Advertisements

We lived on Calgary St. way back when before we moved to a house close by in the same neighborhood. I have to agree the area has pretty much gone down hill. It was going down hill during the early 2000's. When the people from Louisiana were brought to Kelly USA from the aftermath of Katrina, many of them chose to stay. It was around that time when things got even worse. I'm not implying that the new people who moved in are the reason for why things got worse. I'm saying that the owners may have found an opportunity to capitalize on making more money from all the new people and did very little to fix things up.

We ended up moving because we found out we could rent a house for practically the same price as what we were paying rent at the apartments. They're incredibly over priced and you can tell that the owners generally don't care the buildings are practically falling apart.

However, according to that link that was posted about the Kelly Center, there are buildings which were once military housing that has been upgraded and they're pretty beautiful town homes. Being that I live so close to the area, I see them on a daily basis and I hope the port continues to upgrade them as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 09:38 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,124,086 times
Check out San Antonio and Billy Mitchell Village in particular, through the years. Great site and you can type in any address in the Search feature to see what the area looked like through the years. Hope that helps with your search. NETR Online • Historic Aerials

Old 01-09-2015, 10:40 AM

7 posts, read 22,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
I lived on Mitchell Village back in the early 80's when I was stationed at Kelly AFB, about a block from the Spare Time Lanes (Bowling lanes), which was long ago demolished.

If you lived on housing, the pool that you've mentioned may be the one close to the Security Police building and the Park close to the Main Gate....on Hudnell Drive? There was also another pool behind the barracks/dorms and CBPO Bldg ("The Palace"), next to the softball field and tennis courts...across the Passenger Terminal...I forgot what the bldg number is/was....but that would have been one heck of a walk from housing.
All this at Main Kelly of course.

My last visit to San Antonio was back in 2007 and I took the time to visit my old work areas (Air Freight terminal, Supply warehouse buildings, hangar areas, East Kelly, etc) and as you have mentioned...a sad sight.

I used to live on Kelly AFB in the 80's. I know Kelly AFB had 4 pools. Pool #1 is near the main gate and security. It was torn down in the 80's. Pool #2 is near the shopette / Post Office / Dorms. Pool #3 is at Security Hills (other side of the runaway) and Pool #4 is near the housing / Youth Center.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:49 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,701,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylTX View Post
I used to live on Kelly AFB in the 80's. I know Kelly AFB had 4 pools. Pool #1 is near the main gate and security. It was torn down in the 80's. Pool #2 is near the shopette / Post Office / Dorms. Pool #3 is at Security Hills (other side of the runaway) and Pool #4 is near the housing / Youth Center.
That is a lot of pools on the taxpayer dime at one base. No wonder bases got shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio