Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 AM

247 posts, read 843,820 times

Advertisements

Could you contact your vet for recommendations on petsitters that come in and care for them just a couple of times during your vacation? Sometimes they have someone in their office even that does it part time to earn extra money. I would do that. I would hate to board them, cats are much happier at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:36 AM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,289 times
I had an eye-opener yesterday as I checked out a local vet hospital's cat boarding facility.
First, they called it the cat ward. After walking through exam and procedure rooms, a storage room, and the janitor's closet we finally got to the laundry room. THAT's where they keep their kitties!!!
It wasn't even a neat or clean laundry room. It was dusty and there was detergent and stuff everywhere, and the food was stored in open bins right next to the dryers. The poor kitties were caged in metal kennels with a perfect view of said laundry machines. Thankfully there were no cats there...and according to my tour guide, they hadn't boarded any cats "for quite some time now". WONDER WHY!!! Oh, and since it isn't very "safe", they don't let the kitties out for exercise. This particular vet hospital is near Ellison/Marbach fyi...

Anyway, my point for reviving the post is two-fold: ALWAYS check out the facility first and the new Petsmart at Alamo Ranch has a fabulous pet hotel that is above and beyond any boarding facility I've ever had to use!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,224 times
Yeah...I'd be careful boarding your cat at the vet office. He'll probably be safe and fed...but your cat won't get attention with someone checking in on him several times throughout the day. Remember it's a working vet's office, they will be busy at the front and not regard the boarded animals throughout the day.

I usally board my cat at Petsmart. Over Christmas I found a reallly nice pet "resort" off Bandera and 1604. VERY nice. The cats had an Aquarium and a climbing tree as well as large "suites". I wish I could remember the name.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:44 PM

107 posts, read 424,058 times
We boarded our cat (who is old and has never been boarded before) at the Palms Pet Resort off of 1604/Bandera.

Dog & Cat Boarding Kennel - San Antonio, Texas

We were very pleased. Each cat got some time (30 minutes twice a day) to come out of their "suite" and wander the cat area--if they wanted. One at a time of course. They have a large aquarium and climbing posts for them. If the cat looks ill or something, they will call a vet to come look at the cat.

From someone that is totally attached to her cat and hates leaving her with anyone, I would leave her there again. Make sure you call in advance, they fill up quick, especially in the summertime.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 PM

109 posts, read 517,884 times
I highly recommend a cat sitter. We use one, cats are very territorial and I think leaving them at home is much less traumatic for them. Just make sure you cat proof the house first, tie up blind cords, close all doors or prop open doors with heavy objects so your cat can't lock himself in a room, etc.... We have used Best Friend Sitters for a few years and highly recommend them. She only services Helotes, but I'm sure that there are other pet sitters out there. Good luck and congrats on the honeymoon.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:14 PM

11 posts, read 82,943 times
Default Pet Sitters International

Try www.petsit.com

This is an international association for professional pet sitters. They have a very user friendly online locator service. They also have a list of questions to ask your potential pet sitter during the interview process.

Good luck!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:37 PM

188 posts, read 616,042 times
I can recommend a pet sitter in the north central area if you want to DM me.

I second Petshotel in Petsmart. The cages are smallish, like you'd see at a shelter, but comfy, and really when cats are away from home they mostly just curl up and sleep anyway. If you have 2 cats they can share their two cages so they get one big cage.

Our cats were there for a week and I felt like they got decent care. One got sick (she missed us so much she wouldn't drink water and got a UTI) and since Petsmart has a vet in the store (Banfield) she was taken care of. Yes it was like $60 or something extra for the vet visit, but they did call us first to make sure we approved it - and when they couldn't reach us (we were in Mexico) they did it anyway, which I was happy with.

I will have to check out that one on Bandera/1604 though - I like the idea of "free time" daily!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,289 times
I'm sure all current and future readers of this post will find the information valuable. However, don't be offended if the OP doesn't reply...the original post was well over a year ago. I simply revived it to post my experience with a local vet providing boarding services.

Thanks all for the recs and the info!!!
Personally, I have a great petsitter right here in Trophy Ridge that I use when boarding isn't necessary. I'd be happy to share her info if anyone is in this area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio