Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:31 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times

Advertisements

Last year I was in Pennsylvania in the Philly area. It was our last night there and we had a few beers at some bar/resteraunt. We decided to get a few beers to take back to the motel. We stopped in a few convience stores but counldn't find one that sold beer. After asking around we were told that the only place we would be able to by beer was at a deli about 3 miles up the road. This was an area at least as populated as SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Class six is open at night? Wow..
I think the last time they closed was that day the guy decided to not follow the instructions on the pump and nearly burned down the place.. blue laws suck

Old 01-07-2008, 08:03 AM

796 posts, read 3,048,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Class 6 on Lackland sells beer and liquor 24/7 365
Yup, once I turned 21, my friends loved the fact that we could go get the goods anytime during the night.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 AM

410 posts, read 1,249,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Last year I was in Pennsylvania in the Philly area. It was our last night there and we had a few beers at some bar/resteraunt. We decided to get a few beers to take back to the motel. We stopped in a few convience stores but counldn't find one that sold beer. After asking around we were told that the only place we would be able to by beer was at a deli about 3 miles up the road. This was an area at least as populated as SA.
I grew up in PA and I never noticed it until I moved away in '99, but you can only buy beer at a distributor and alcohol at the liquor store...

I was just talking about the blue laws here and that IMHO they serve no real purpose and are only around due to some silly religious belief.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Class six is open at night? Wow..
The Class Six on Lackland is inside the 24 hr shoppette/gas station...

The Air Force discourages alcohol usage, but then puts a 24/7 liquor store that sells tax-free booze across the street from the airmen dorms...

Cheers! M2

Old 01-07-2008, 08:54 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
same logic as the non-smoking by 2000 initiative. Tell everyone not to smoke or quit, but sell cartons for about $5-10.. On one ship I was on they sold generics for as low as $1/carton. Great incentive to quit..

I like getting liquor or beer at any time though, especially since I'm going to mids in a week. Nothing like a beer at 7:00 in the morning

Old 01-07-2008, 08:54 AM

410 posts, read 1,249,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The Class Six on Lackland is inside the 24 hr shoppette/gas station...

The Air Force discourages alcohol usage, but then puts a 24/7 liquor store that sells tax-free booze across the street from the airmen dorms...

Cheers! M2
Location, location, location...

Old 01-07-2008, 09:18 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrlatsha View Post
I grew up in PA and I never noticed it until I moved away in '99, but you can only buy beer at a distributor and alcohol at the liquor store...

I was just talking about the blue laws here and that IMHO they serve no real purpose and are only around due to some silly religious belief.
Not true anymore. I lived in Philly in 2002-2003, and the WaWa near UPenn was one of the most profitable WaWas because of the beer sales (WaWa is like Stop n Go...)

Old 01-08-2008, 08:08 AM

454 posts, read 504,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingtoSA View Post
I wandered around HEB for about 30 minutes looking for the liquor section before I finally asked someone..... That's definitely something new for us California transplants. I felt so funny coming out of the liquor store with my brown paper bag!

At least it's better than my first move out of CA, which was to CT. The Blue Laws were a big shock to me - no alcohol after 8pm or anytime on Sunday. I was known to be banging on the door of the neighborhood wine shop at 8pm on a Saturday night. Fortunately, they knew me and like most shops had set their clocks on their register off by 20 mins or so. ;-) Oh, and only beer in the grocery store, wine had to be purchased in a special liquor store called a 'package' store.

Indiana was a bit better, after 8pm was fine but not on Sundays or election day. Beer and wine could be purchased in a grocery store, but no liquor.

Ohio has similar laws but I can't recall the details.

Waiting til noon on Sunday seems easy enough.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:42 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
It is.. thats when I usually get up after a good nights Drunk!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio