Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:43 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
What about deferred adjudication? Is that still an option?

Also, my insurance isn't raised for one ticket....it is, however, if I were to get more than one ticket (conviction) in less than a certain time period.
I don't think they give that option for 20 over. His best best is to talk to a lawyer that handles traffic tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Don't forget to get Waze to arm yourself with knowledge against these harassers. It will also info you of your speed by GPS in case you have a somewhat inaccurate speedometer.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:31 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
What Cuero said. DO NOT CALL USAA. In fact no one should call their insurance company other than to update policies unless absolutely necessary. As in, you caused an accident or you were hit and the other company refuses to fix your vehicle and you are desperate. Unless something has changed since I was an underwriter companies look at a 3 year record (depending on when the policy renews it may span an additional term). They look at any info they have so you do not want them to know you had a ticket - that hopefully will not go on your record. I know someone whose policy was not renewed because they had 2 vehicles stolen and the company determined there must be something they were doing that increased their risk. A company will consider any incident in that period as an increased risk- it used to be 3 incidents of any sort but I've been out of the biz for awhile although I'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten better! My ex sister-in-law filed comp claims constantly against my advice and their rates went up (kind of hope she's still at it now that it doesn't affect my brother anymore )

As to your options, I only went to court once because I was rushing to work when I got the ticket and my boss knew the officer. She called him immediately, chewed him out and told him not to show up at court. I was still nervous he would come and I'd be in a mess. Other than that I've done DD. I think I've done it 4 times since the mid 90s and its so so easy to do online now. A tiny bit cheaper than the ticket. I got one last year from SAPD and did everything online. It was confusing though as he DD option wasn't obviously indicated.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:50 PM

520 posts, read 781,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I don't think they give that option for 20 over. His best best is to talk to a lawyer that handles traffic tickets.
It varies form county to county - Bexar's cutoff is 24mph over.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:04 PM

43 posts, read 70,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Because of your age, your rate will get jacked up regardless.
That's demonstrably untrue. The ticket does not go on your driving record if you do either DD or DA and therefore cannot be used by your insurance company as cause for a premium increase.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:39 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
He's on his Dad's insurance.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:17 PM

658 posts, read 722,100 times
Doesn't anyone think the biggest issue here is the speeding in the first place? A 21 should know better that if they're outside the law (however unfair you may feel it is), there can be/will be consequences. Save yourself a lot of trouble and just don't speed even when you don't see cops around. Get in the habit and you will have less headaches all around.

And whoa to the person who has done DD like 4 times. It's not a badge of honor. No one should be taking that course that many times. I am concerned what kind of driver would act like it's nothing to flaunt the law and keep attending the DD class yet apparently learns nothing at all from it.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 PM

5 posts, read 8,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Doesn't anyone think the biggest issue here is the speeding in the first place? A 21 should know better that if they're outside the law (however unfair you may feel it is), there can be/will be consequences. Save yourself a lot of trouble and just don't speed even when you don't see cops around. Get in the habit and you will have less headaches all around.
10 out of 10.
Pretty sure I made it clear I wasn't gonna argue ticket and I was just asking for best way to proceed.
Take a moment and realize we aren't all angels like you.

For everyone's info, I decided to just take reduced rate of $117 and take DD.
Easiest and most sure way to pay the least.
My BMW is just too much fun to drive.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:36 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjewber View Post
10 out of 10.
For everyone's info, I decided to just take reduced rate of $117 and take DD.
Easiest and most sure way to pay the least.
And after 90 days it's off your driving record.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:21 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,368 times
I'd just do DD and pay whatever court fee is associated with that. That will keep the ticket off your record plus save you time. It's not worth it to me to be running around the court, hoping a cop doesn't show and risk paying more than you hoped. You could be using that time for work or something else productive.

I once was able to donate to a charity of their choice in exchange to what the ticket fine would cost while having it off my record. I have a CDL so DD isn't an option for me. I felt a little better giving to the boys and girls club instead of the people at the city.

Edit: didn't know your final decision. Def a good route and maybe this advice can be for anyone else out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: