Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 05:01 AM

4 posts, read 6,108 times

Advertisements

Is it just me, or has the quality of beef badly deteriorated the last few years? I love my HEB, but dang! I can't seem to find a decent, affordable steak there. I like to prepare a lot of something, and freeze individual serving for later consumption. So, the other day, I picked up a couple of strip steaks, labeled "choice," for a beef-in-wine dish. They were horribly expensive, of course, but I knew, from past experience, that cheaper cuts (top sirloin, say), would disappoint. I simmered them for three full hours, until they easily came apart with a fork. The dish turned out great, with new potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, pine nuts, onions, and a little sour cream--except for the beef. It was flavorful, but so stringy that I didn't dare swallow it. This is but the most recent in a long series of unsatisfactory episodes. I decided to give Target a try, and picked up one of their "branded" Angus strip steaks (Dodge and Sutton, something like that.) I couldn't detect much difference in the marbling, but it did seem quite a bit more tender. Not nearly as tender, though, as the steaks of yesteryear. I've heard good things about a locally owned butcher shop in New Braunfels, and may give them a try. What are y'all doing for quality beef?

I see that "choice" grade tenderloin has soared to almost $30 a pound. That counts me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 06:38 AM

894 posts, read 1,545,450 times
I like the choice beef I get at Costco. Typically a thicker cut too. Love their New York strips. I would avoid anything labeled with Angus as that is typically just marketing to charge more for nothing more than USDA Grade A.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:32 AM

437 posts, read 902,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
I like the choice beef I get at Costco. Typically a thicker cut too. Love their New York strips.
I second that.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:59 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,853,459 times
I don't cook steak very often anymore, just cheaper cuts of beef in the crock pot. It's good for turning tough meat into something yummy.

One place I hear mentioned often when people are looking for quality meat is Bolner's. Bolner Meat Company serving San Antonio since 1914

Old 01-23-2015, 08:06 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,768,860 times
Lately I have found the beef from Sprouts to be better than HEB. That wasn't always the case though.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,422,394 times
I'm going to second, third and fifth Bolners. It's the greatest place on Earth as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, I'm due for another run!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:08 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,903,740 times
Dzuik in Castroville. They grow it so they can control the quality, they butcher it to however you want it. If you like a bar-b-qued steak, have them cut you some 1" thick pork chops and put them on the grill. You'll spit steak out. They also have chicken, quail, dried meats, jerky, honey, cheese, lunch meats, bacon to die for, all kinds of blended seasonings, it's a full service meat market. Buy how many cuts you want or buy a quarter or a side, they can do it all.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:21 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,497,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Dzuik in Castroville. They grow it so they can control the quality, they butcher it to however you want it. If you like a bar-b-qued steak, have them cut you some 1" thick pork chops and put them on the grill. You'll spit steak out. They also have chicken, quail, dried meats, jerky, honey, cheese, lunch meats, bacon to die for, all kinds of blended seasonings, it's a full service meat market. Buy how many cuts you want or buy a quarter or a side, they can do it all.
+1 for Dzuik's.
Been going here for 30+ yrs.
Usually buy one of their package deals that comes with several different cuts of beef, chicken, etc.
Never been disappointed.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:41 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,768,860 times
All this talk about Castroville reminded me of Dan's Meat Market which is also in Castroville. Another option to consider if you go to Castroville.

I like Dzuik's but can't stand going there now they built the new building. Quality is still good though!

For awhile I was doing co-op with Koch Ranches Gourmet store. Expensive but best beef in SA in my opinion. They use Dzuik's to process their meat before they sell it.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:48 PM

443 posts, read 953,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I'm going to second, third and fifth Bolners. It's the greatest place on Earth as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, I'm due for another run!
Definitely Bolner's, where else you gonna find an Akaushi brisket?

Costco has very good quality meat. I'm impressed by the marbling at Trader Joe's, but always wary of beef which is being preserved in carbon monoxide.

No doubt though, Bolner's is tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio