Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:11 AM

39 posts, read 46,108 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm a newly registered user looking forward to contributing to the forum! But first, I'd like to see if you all could help me on the subject of Catholic schools. My daughter will be starting kindergarten in the fall. We've visited the following Catholic schools, but since there are no metrics to measure or rate Catholic schools, I'd like to offer some of my impressions and ask you all for yours. Thanks in advance!

1. Holy Spirit - We went on a one-on-one tour of the school and liked it very much. The class sizes were small (I think a 12:1 ratio for Kinder?), there's a nice computer lab, and they claim to be in the top 90% nationwide in ITBS composite scores.

2. St. Luke - We went for the open house. I like the classrooms and teachers. My main impression is that they are big on sports with the new basketball facilities. The principle was very honest in saying that they don't have numbers for ITBS, but probably aren't as high as 90%.

3. St. Mathew - We went for a tour hosted by two parents who volunteer with the school. This is a bigger school that seems busier than the previous two.

4. St. Anthony - My wife went to this school and is one of her favorites along with Holy Spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 01:09 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0knows View Post
Hi everyone, I'm a newly registered user looking forward to contributing to the forum! But first, I'd like to see if you all could help me on the subject of Catholic schools. My daughter will be starting kindergarten in the fall. We've visited the following Catholic schools, but since there are no metrics to measure or rate Catholic schools, I'd like to offer some of my impressions and ask you all for yours. Thanks in advance!

1. Holy Spirit - We went on a one-on-one tour of the school and liked it very much. The class sizes were small (I think a 12:1 ratio for Kinder?), there's a nice computer lab, and they claim to be in the top 90% nationwide in ITBS composite scores.

2. St. Luke - We went for the open house. I like the classrooms and teachers. My main impression is that they are big on sports with the new basketball facilities. The principle was very honest in saying that they don't have numbers for ITBS, but probably aren't as high as 90%.

3. St. Mathew - We went for a tour hosted by two parents who volunteer with the school. This is a bigger school that seems busier than the previous two.

4. St. Anthony - My wife went to this school and is one of her favorites along with Holy Spirit.
Dont go to St Anthony's!!!! Years ago, their principal Dr Kennedy maintained an affair with a teacher at the school. The school insisted that it was happening despite witnesses. It created a big rift among some parents who wanted Kennedy to step down and others who wanted him to stay. All 3 of my sister's kids went there for years. But, my sister opted for St Matthews after that incident. The St Matthews principal (Mr Caro) seems very genuine to me.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:30 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,130 times
Are you trying to instill a fear of rulers and yardsticks in your children? I attended St. Anthony's decades ago, bunch of wicked vindictive nuns that like to beat children, I'm still scared of yardsticks

Old 01-30-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Dont go to St Anthony's!!!! Years ago, their principal Dr Kennedy maintained an affair with a teacher at the school. The school insisted that it was happening despite witnesses. It created a big rift among some parents who wanted Kennedy to step down and others who wanted him to stay. All 3 of my sister's kids went there for years. But, my sister opted for St Matthews after that incident. The St Matthews principal (Mr Caro) seems very genuine to me.

Oops. I meant to say that the school insisted that it was NOT happening.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 PM

201 posts, read 382,859 times
The current principal of St. Anthony's is Cynthia Luna. She was an award-winning administrator in NISD before becoming principal of St. Anthony's. In 2004, when principal of Blattman Elementary, she was awarded the National Distinguished Principal award for the state of Texas.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
I visited those, and though I chose not to send my kids to any, I loved St. Anthony's. I was so impressed with many things, esp. the current administration (I visited about 2 years ago). I have a number of friends who send their kids there and can't say enough good. That it's not affiliated with any one parish has its pros and cons, but mostly pros. It can run independently and has incredible parental involvement.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I visited those, and though I chose not to send my kids to any, I loved St. Anthony's. I was so impressed with many things, esp. the current administration (I visited about 2 years ago). I have a number of friends who send their kids there and can't say enough good. That it's not affiliated with any one parish has its pros and cons, but mostly pros. It can run independently and has incredible parental involvement.
Perhaps it has changed for the better. But don't all of the parochial schools have extreme parental involvement? Each of my sisters is always volunteering for something in their kids schools. I've always thought that if parents are spending that much $$ on education that the volunteering would be a big part of it. Is there a difference in volunteerism among the different schools?
If a school is affiliated with a church/parish, doesnt the church share some of its resources with the school?, which might be a positive thing.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:22 AM

25 posts, read 24,733 times
Quote:
Perhaps it has changed for the better. But don't all of the parochial schools have extreme parental involvement? Each of my sisters is always volunteering for something in their kids schools. I've always thought that if parents are spending that much $$ on education that the volunteering would be a big part of it. Is there a difference in volunteerism among the different schools?
If a school is affiliated with a church/parish, doesnt the church share some of its resources with the school?, which might be a positive thing.
Generally the schools that belong to a parish need to do mandatory volunteering, or pay a fee. The non parish schools don't usually require parents to volunteer, however they do seem to push the donations for everything under the sun! They can get pretty aggressive with fundraisers often resorting to openly publishing who and how much donates what. So students know who are the donators and who aren't. Can make a conservative donor feel like a cheapskate

Old 01-31-2015, 08:06 AM

948 posts, read 1,842,281 times
I went to St. Luke's. Looking back, it did wonders for all of us. We wouldn't be where we are without having gone there. I'd also look at St. George, though it is an episcopal school and St. Mary's Hall.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:14 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
The difference is that the school has more flexibility if it's run independently. Parental involvement = parental input. A parish-controlled school answers to the parish first. There are pros and cons to both. I grew up in a parish school, but I vastly preferred St. Anthony's over the others for that reason.

I don't really care what an administrator long gone did years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio