Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 AM

23 posts, read 38,809 times

Advertisements

Hello All, hope this is an appropriate place to ask this question (I'm going to cross post in Austin too) - Anyway, planning a trip flying into Austin and driving to San Antonio to stay for about a week. It'll be in february. Can anyone recommend any must see places along the way. I've only been to Dallas area so this is all new to me. Must see places in Austin, San Antonio, and along the way? Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:53 AM

4,423 posts, read 5,294,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackimari1 View Post
Hello All, hope this is an appropriate place to ask this question (I'm going to cross post in Austin too) - Anyway, planning a trip flying into Austin and driving to San Antonio to stay for about a week. It'll be in february. Can anyone recommend any must see places along the way. I've only been to Dallas area so this is all new to me. Must see places in Austin, San Antonio, and along the way? Thank you so much!!!
History

Alamo
Mission Trail (best viewed by bike)
Gruene (in New Braunfels)

Amusement

Fiesta Texas
Seaworld
San Antonio Museum of Art
Riverwalk
Wittte (for kids)
Top Golf (not special to San Antonio

Old 02-05-2015, 11:08 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,701,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackimari1 View Post
Skip SeaWorld and Fiesta Texas unless you want to burn an entire day each at those places or if you have kids that really want to go there. I personally can't understand why anyone would want to fly in and "waste" time at the amusement parks....those are everywhere and once you been to one, you have been to them all.

I feel that will find more enjoyment being in downtown area (Southtown, river walk, King William), the Missions, etc. You will see real San Antonio and that will make your stay here worthwhile.

As for Top Golf, I went there during opening weekend and it is fun. I wouldn't stay there more than two hours though at the prices they charge. Food is nothing special there. For example, the "Mushi" or whatever they call it is nothing more than a fancy $10 burrito as my co-worker put it.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:15 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,387,727 times
In Austin try to catch a show at Austin City Limits, shop on South Congress, visit the Cathedral of Junk (seriously, do it). On the way to SA, go get BBQ in Driftwood at The Salt Lick. If you don't want to veer off of 35 too much (though it's worth it), swing by Cooper's BBQ in New Braunfels. While you're there visit Gruene. Catch a show at Gruene Hall.

In SA, do the Riverwalk, but make sure to get past the touristy area and see the expansion. Get down into Southtown. Tons of cool old neighborhoods to walk around.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:55 PM

163 posts, read 197,009 times
I say take the toll road (SH 130) from Austin, stop in Lockhart at Blacks to get BBQ instead of Salt Lick (overrated, IMHO) and Coopers (the only good ones are in Llano, TX and Junction, TX...NB's is an epic fail for them), and enjoy legally cruising ~90 MPH on your way to SA avoiding the aggravation of I-35. Do Gruene on the way back via SH 46 or something and enjoy the Hill Country.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:45 AM

520 posts, read 776,692 times
The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo (San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo | Animals & Agriculture | Family Entertainment | Live Music | Food & Shopping) is going on 2/12 through 3/1. It doesn't get much more Texas than that.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:39 AM

23 posts, read 38,809 times
Thank you all- awesome suggestions. So excited

Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 PM

443 posts, read 948,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I say take the toll road (SH 130) from Austin, stop in Lockhart at Blacks to get BBQ instead of Salt Lick (overrated, IMHO) and Coopers (the only good ones are in Llano, TX and Junction, TX...NB's is an epic fail for them), and enjoy legally cruising ~90 MPH on your way to SA avoiding the aggravation of I-35. Do Gruene on the way back via SH 46 or something and enjoy the Hill Country.

Kent Black's has a San Marcos location now at 510 Hull ST. San Marcos, TX 78666. It's just a short drive off of I35 on the way to San Antonio. I picked up some sausage, fatty brisket and beef ribs for Superbowl, absolutely the best BBQ I've ever received from a restaurant.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:17 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,604,509 times
In Austin also check out the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum there's also the LBJ Library and Blanton Museum Of Art at UT. Maby tour the State Capitol and Governors Mansion, Check out the live music venues on E. 6th street then on 4th,5th and W. 6th and Rainey Street.

The Bullock Texas State History Museum

Blanton Museum of Art: The University of Texas at Austin

Plan Your Visit to the Texas Capitol - The State Preservation Board - Caretakers of the Texas Capitol

6th street Austin, Texas - a TOTAL Austin entertainment guide. - 6street.com: One stop resource for Austin visitors for live music, clubs, events, dining, lodging, entertainment,art,bands and more.

Rainey Street Bars and Restaurants in Austin, Texas

http://franklinbarbecue.com

STILES SWITCH BBQ & BREW | An Austin Original
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio