Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:55 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times

Advertisements

Median Home Value (explains higher rents)

New Braunfels
$205,000

San Marcos
$175,000

Seguin
$156,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 04:00 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
I'll second the opinions on Sequin, San Marcos is where you want to look, NB is more of an older folks town. I've owned a home/business in San Marcos for 25 years, I'm a San Martian

Old 02-17-2015, 04:08 PM

8 posts, read 9,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Median Home Value (explains higher rents)

New Braunfels
$205,000

San Marcos
$175,000

Seguin
$156,000
Truuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I'll second the opinions on Sequin, San Marcos is where you want to look, NB is more of an older folks town. I've owned a home/business in San Marcos for 25 years, I'm a San Martian
So as a business owner and/or resident for the last 25 years, can you speak to the "run down college and commuter town" comments from the last page?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:36 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
A lot of the older houses in Seguin will being the median price down. They're just not building that much new to begin with, and especially not in the $250-300K range that's pretty much the low-end new construction in NB. What they ARE building in that range here is selling as quick as they can put it up.

Gruene is lovely, and they're putting up some nice houses. And outside NB toward Canyon lake. But again... you have to be willing to put up with the traffic. It's a personal choice trade-off. Yes, traffic on 46 going into New Braunfels is horrible at rush hour... morning and evening, and on FM306 going west. And there really isn't a fix for it unless they raise either 46 and 306 or I35... either of which will be an absolute nightmare for the years it takes to do the work.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:24 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUMH View Post
Truuuuu
So as a business owner and/or resident for the last 25 years, can you speak to the "run down college and commuter town" comments from the last page?
No idea what that poster meant by run down, maybe they have not visited in a while. San Marcos is a very nice, somewhat laid back town, and anything but run down. Definitely a college town, and many people commute to SA and Austin for employment.

Sequin has been a run down town for years, has a very blue collar and poor vibe imho, yet I know some people investing in it because they feel its going to change. Best I can say is come visit and see for yourself.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Gruene is lovely, and they're putting up some nice houses. And outside NB toward Canyon lake. But again... you have to be willing to put up with the traffic. It's a personal choice trade-off. Yes, traffic on 46 going into New Braunfels is horrible at rush hour... morning and evening, and on FM306 going west. And there really isn't a fix for it unless they raise either 46 and 306 or I35... either of which will be an absolute nightmare for the years it takes to do the work.
I'll have to consider that, then. One of the places I'm looking at is right in town; the others are fairly close to 35 and 46.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
No idea what that poster meant by run down, maybe they have not visited in a while. San Marcos is a very nice, somewhat laid back town, and anything but run down. Definitely a college town, and many people commute to SA and Austin for employment.

Sequin has been a run down town for years, has a very blue collar and poor vibe imho, yet I know some people investing in it because they feel its going to change. Best I can say is come visit and see for yourself.
Okay, cool. That's what Google made it seem like. You're definitely right about come visit - I'll be down in about 3 weeks' time to scope out a number of spots.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:51 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
If you look around San Marcos and compare that to New Braunfels you can quickly tell the difference. NB has better food choices, shopping, easier access to better amenities, and recreation. Oh and home prices paint a desirability picture.... (I have no skin in the game as i live some 20 miles SW)

Old 02-18-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
If you look around San Marcos and compare that to New Braunfels you can quickly tell the difference. NB has better food choices, shopping, easier access to better amenities, and recreation. Oh and home prices paint a desirability picture.... (I have no skin in the game as i live some 20 miles SW)
Ah, understood. I wouldn't be at all surprised if NB had more upscale food/drink/shopping - the home prices and the fact that it isn't a college town would suggest that - but at some point I might feel as though that all might be more appreciated by an older, more "adult" professional. Keep in mind I'll be 23 and not even a month removed from college graduation. For a New York City analogy: I don't need to be in the Upper East Side or Midtown with all the businessmen, when East Village still has food/drink/shopping and is full of likeminded people my age.

Does New Braunfels have a halfway decent young professionals population? Does Seguin or Schertz or Cibolo? Does San Marcos? At this point, that's really what I'm concerned about. I've found places in each town that fit my various criteria, and I'll get to see what each area is like when I visit, but a few hours during the day doesn't really help me figure out if I'll be the only person sub-27 in the apartment complex or at the bar.

EDIT: Now that I look at it, Google is saying that I'd only be tacking on a few minutes of commute time to live in some areas of San Antonio, and rent seems somewhat comparable (based on a quick couple of searches) to all of the places I've listed previously. So maybe I should include some neighborhoods of SA as well... can anyone speak to the accuracy of This Article? Lists Monte Vista, Beacon Hill, Tobin Hill, and Alta Vista (among others) as good neighborhoods for young professionals.

Last edited by LUMH; 02-18-2015 at 08:41 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 08:40 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
San Marcos has the shopping outlets, so they have better shopping than NB. If you are brave enough to go there.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:26 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
I think if you lived in town San Antonio (maybe Lavaca, Southtown and borderline Pearl/Lower Broadway) it would be an okayish commute..but okayish is like 45 minutes. It took me an hour to get from my parent's home on De Zavala and 10 (think just south of Loop 1604/10) to Seguin. It might take a bit less now that Loop 1604 of the NE/E side is a bit more opened up. But, would I want to do that drive everyday? No way.

The cost of living in those areas mentioned in that article are way higher than those in the areas already suggested. You may be able to find a few apartments here and there for under $1000 in the downtown/south side area of SA. I know someone will post a Craigslist posting or something or have personal experience finding something nice at a lower price, but they are hard to find (I have looked).

You'll also find the young professional vibe mixed in with the college kids in San Marcos. Like I said, Seguin is all undergrad and literally there are like 2 bars. And all of TLU goes there. New Braunfels does have pockets of "young professionals" but all the bars I have ever been in there have been filled with bikers and cowboys. I am going to stick with my original suggestion of San Marcos purely because it is a college town. It has grad programs so not all the students in the area are 18-19 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio