Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 02:34 PM

160 posts, read 233,107 times

Advertisements

I asked this once a couple years ago, but I'd appreciate more recent recommendations/thoughts. We've been in Austin 3 years now. My husband has worked as a Civil 3D CAD manager at the City of Austin for 2 years now. He is a published author for teaching materials in that line of work too. He's working on that book again this year. It's one of those yearly book publications. It's a Civil engineering related job for those who don't know. I don't know what kind of jobs are available like that there.

My biggest concerns with living in Austin are traffic and COL. The rent prices are jumping up higher each year, the traffic is getting worse and worse with no real solutions in sight. Our rent went up because property taxes went up. Our landlord gives us a good deal for an OK looking 3/2 with a reasonable backyard. If we were to try to rent a different house with similar appearance, it seems it'll run $1600+ a month easy. My husband makes $65 k and good benefits - flex schedule and decent health plan. Just concerned we'll be priced out of the area. Also fear driving in Austin - bumper to bumper at times and crazy people not letting you in or pushing you out. Not sure if it is better there, but have read that it is.

Another concern is there aren't as nice things to see as a family. I've been more impressed with SA when I visited a couple times. The zoo in Austin is blah and the aquarium is a joke. Camp Mabry military museum and Mt. Bonnell are the best things I've seen.

Would SA be a potentially better fit? Are there known to be jobs in his field there? Of course we'd look to secure a job before making such a move.

Thanks a bunch. Just looking for the fun of it. I know we are blessed with our current job and landlord, just keeping my eyes open to any possibilities. I know there are many other threads like mine, but each person is different, so there is different advice to be offered for different people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 03:06 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
All I can tell you is that you can't expect to find many 3 bedroom houses in decent neighborhoods for less than $1200. Even when you go a little past that, your options will be limited. How much are you looking to spend?

Old 02-19-2015, 03:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I can't offer any advice on the job market for him, but I'm sure a little looking online would help there.

My sister lives in Austin and says things are cheaper in San Antonio. I know my house was less expensive than hers, for a comparable quality and square footage.

Since you don't live that far away, it seems like you could make some day trips to San Antonio and see how the traffic feels, and look around at the things to do here. The zoo here is nice to go to now and then, but starts to feel small when you go often. You can also take the kids to Brackenridge park while you're there, or go to the Japanese Tea Garden. The Witte and SAMA have a free night once a week, and I think the McNay does also, if your kids are old enough for museums. There's also Sea World...we joined one year but haven't done it again because it's a lot of walking and a lot of opportunities to spend money once you're in there. One free thing we like here are the city pools and the bike trails...we get a lot of use out of both.

There are lots of homeschool groups and co-ops in San Antonio.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
All I can tell you is that you can't expect to find many 3 bedroom houses in decent neighborhoods for less than $1200. Even when you go a little past that, your options will be limited. How much are you looking to spend?
My parents pay $1350 for a 4 bedroom 2 bath house off of De Zavala. Rent in the area is comparable and they aren't getting a steal. I think it is very possible.

I really agree that coming down for some day trips would be the best option. And as always I would recommend having the job first before moving here, even if it is Austin to San Antonio.

Traffic is not nearly as bad as 35 in Austin. We have our moments depending on where you are in the city, but it's usually dependent on rush hour traffic or if there's something going on (holidays around the malls is rough, around ATT center or Alamodome during events, etc).

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 02-19-2015 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: added something about traffic so I didn't have to write a new post

Old 02-19-2015, 03:28 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimarie View Post
I asked this once a couple years ago, but I'd appreciate more recent recommendations/thoughts. We've been in Austin 3 years now. My husband has worked as a Civil 3D CAD manager at the City of Austin for 2 years now. He is a published author for teaching materials in that line of work too. He's working on that book again this year. It's one of those yearly book publications. It's a Civil engineering related job for those who don't know. I don't know what kind of jobs are available like that there.

My biggest concerns with living in Austin are traffic and COL. The rent prices are jumping up higher each year, the traffic is getting worse and worse with no real solutions in sight. Our rent went up because property taxes went up. Our landlord gives us a good deal for an OK looking 3/2 with a reasonable backyard. If we were to try to rent a different house with similar appearance, it seems it'll run $1600+ a month easy. My husband makes $65 k and good benefits - flex schedule and decent health plan. Just concerned we'll be priced out of the area. Also fear driving in Austin - bumper to bumper at times and crazy people not letting you in or pushing you out. Not sure if it is better there, but have read that it is.

Another concern is there aren't as nice things to see as a family. I've been more impressed with SA when I visited a couple times. The zoo in Austin is blah and the aquarium is a joke. Camp Mabry military museum and Mt. Bonnell are the best things I've seen.

Would SA be a potentially better fit? Are there known to be jobs in his field there? Of course we'd look to secure a job before making such a move.

Thanks a bunch. Just looking for the fun of it. I know we are blessed with our current job and landlord, just keeping my eyes open to any possibilities. I know there are many other threads like mine, but each person is different, so there is different advice to be offered for different people.
Oh we have plenty of that here too...don't be fooled.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:14 PM

$1200-$1400 for a 3/2 is a good deal compared to here. Because I have a very nice landlord - I'm getting a 3/2 in OK condition with a decent sized back yard(room for kids to run around) for $1325, but it could go up again soon. When I browsed what was available in and around our neighborhood(close to Cedar Park, but just inside Austin), I saw $1600+ and many of the houses were not very nice. The ones that were closer to our price range when we got our current place, were not even options for us. Sad looking. And we don't have high standards.

I did read that traffic is a bit better than Austin, am I wrong? I have been in San Antonio twice. Once we spent all day and there was quite a bit of traffic heading back to Austin because we unintentially hit rush hour. I've been to the zoo, alamo, riverwalk and Japanese tea gardens. I thought those were all neat. The zoo in SA is much better than Austin even if it isn't the most amazing thing in the world. I do agree that walking it was a bit complicated.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:24 PM

25 posts, read 25,186 times
San Antonio traffic has been getting as bad as Austin's the past couple years. Or maybe it's just near the UTSA area. Too many Austinites moving here. The difference is our city leaders are slightly better at planning for the future, and there's still some room to expand and widen roads.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Barkley View Post
The difference is our city leaders are slightly better at planning for the future, and there's still some room to expand and widen roads.
^ that is a big deal. Austin doesn't seem to have any idea how to deal with it's traffic problems.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:11 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times
That's true...the only issues are the construction projects taking place , they seem to take forever. The upgrade of 1604 is one of them...seem to remember reading that it's going to be another 5-6 years of growing pains.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:31 PM

Anyone else have anything to say? Are there any positives to SA over Austin or vice versa? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio