Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 04:40 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times

Advertisements

I'm also checking my modem status (SB6183) and I still have 4 downstream and 4 upstream channels. Not the 16 down and 4 up associated with faster speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
I'm scheduled to receive it by July 1st, yet AT&T is only offering a measly 14mbs in my area.

I'm curious to see what it will actually amount to. If you're going to post your speedtest
results, please try to connect to somewhere further than a single hop from their backbone.

Interestingly, there is some suspicion from tests ran by users on Slashdot that packets
transferred between speedtest sites (or even directories renamed "speedtest") are
receiving priority routing.

Here's a couple of links to HTML5 based speedtests.

SpeedOf.Me, HTML5 Speed Test | Non Flash/Java Broadband Speed Test

Speed Test - HTML5 Internet Speed Test
I get the same results from the speedtest on DSL Reports as I do from the HTML5 speedtest. I get the same results from Speedtest.net as well.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:04 AM

Internet went down at 1:25 am. Came back up at 1:50 am. I now have 16 channels down and 4 channels up. No increase in speed as of yet. (fingers crossed).

Old 04-15-2015, 01:09 AM

Culebra & Potranco.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:10 AM

Did modem reboot, no changes in speed.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:36 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
I'm scheduled to receive it by July 1st, yet AT&T is only offering a measly 14mbs in my area.

I'm curious to see what it will actually amount to. If you're going to post your speedtest
results, please try to connect to somewhere further than a single hop from their backbone.

Interestingly, there is some suspicion from tests ran by users on Slashdot that packets
transferred between speedtest sites (or even directories renamed "speedtest") are
receiving priority routing.

Here's a couple of links to HTML5 based speedtests.

SpeedOf.Me, HTML5 Speed Test | Non Flash/Java Broadband Speed Test

Speed Test - HTML5 Internet Speed Test
That hasn't been my experience at all. It may happen, but I haven't seen it here.
I'm getting the same speeds with all three of the speed tests, so if they're prioritizing the packets, they're doing it with all the servers the various speed tests are using.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:18 AM

443 posts, read 954,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
That hasn't been my experience at all. It may happen, but I haven't seen it here.
I'm getting the same speeds with all three of the speed tests, so if they're prioritizing the packets, they're doing it with all the servers the various speed tests are using.

I should have clarified. I didn't mean to imply that those sites gave different results because they
weren't Flash based, I just threw them out there because they don't require the overhead of Flash.
My main hope was that people would stop posting results out of Austin/Dallas.

Time Warner is inconsistent, sometimes greatly so, across the US. Outside of the US the speed
can drop significantly. This is the case with all providers, but some connections are consistently
slow and have been repeatable as long as I have been testing them. Not sure what is going on,
just that I've not seen that using AT&T's business solution fiber.

What some people noticed over on Slashdot was that FTP transfers from their servers were slow,
but when they renamed a directory to "speedtest", all of a sudden transfer speeds increased greatly.
I've been curious, but so far haven't tried it. I'm way overdue in creating a backup beyond databases,
so next time I'm going to give it a shot.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Internet went down at 1:25 am. Came back up at 1:50 am. I now have 16 channels down and 4 channels up. No increase in speed as of yet. (fingers crossed).
Quote:
Culebra & Potranco.
Quote:
Did modem reboot, no changes in speed.
Just called TW about the speed and they're reporting problems in my area...could be the reason for the lack of the upgraded speed.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:05 AM

19 posts, read 23,278 times
Quote:
Just called TW about the speed and they're reporting problems in my area...could be the reason for the lack of the upgraded speed.
I have had outages in my area as well but not sure what it is about. My side of town is not due for the "scheduled" upgrade for about another week and a half. For about 3 weeks now, with my new modem, I have had 16/4 bonding channels. So hopefully they fix their mess and continue to push forward quickly.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:48 PM

733 posts, read 1,047,413 times
still 4/4 here in regards to channels. does twc have a social media outlet where they announce what hubs are going to be upgraded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio