Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 09:12 AM

733 posts, read 1,046,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemcbee View Post
Be advised. TWC only supports 100Mbps when you use Motorola SB6141. They just told me that 100Mbps is the highest speed provided by this modem when used with TWC. This is according to their tests on how compatible the modem was.
yeah this has been linked and discussed already. i keep calling them because i need to downgrade to the 100/10 plan once the upgrade hits (i have that modem also)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 03:28 PM

302 posts, read 1,155,120 times
Received my new TWC modem upgrade kit earlier this week, but the dang thing must be broken on the inside. All sorts of plastic sliding and metallic tinking/clanking noises when you pick it up even, so I didn't even try to install it. Called TWC to request another be sent out, but customer service rep (phone) said I'd have to return the broken one first. And then he went on to suggest I just go out an buy my own.

Now, I don't know a lot about this type of stuff folks, so it sounded fishy to me. But, with a little research I decided to go ahead and purchase my own and be done with this. Two happy things came of this. 1. I had a Wally gift card I didn't know what to do with (I don't shop there), so that was more than half the price of the modem. 2. I can quit paying the $8/ month modem rental fee. I also used the customer service rep discussion as an opportunity to lower my monthly bill by asking for any promotions that may apply. One did.

If it helps anyone, Arris SB6141 in 78249: 79.01 Mbps up, 11.02 Mbps down. (With my old TWC modem, it was 21.7 up, 2.21 down.) I have the Turbo internet package.

Faster and cheaper now, I can already notice pages load instantly and streaming fires off right away. I'm not a gamer and only use a single component on the internet at a time, Roku, laptop, or phone, so this will suit me quite well.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:49 PM

42 posts, read 51,884 times
Is anyone getting better speeds via wifi?

Old 04-28-2015, 12:33 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,618,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle axis View Post

I decided to go ahead and purchase my own . Two happy things came of this. 1. I had a Wally gift card I didn't know what to do with (I don't shop there), so that was more than half the price of the modem. 2. I can quit paying the $8/ month modem rental fee. I also used the customer service rep discussion as an opportunity to lower my monthly bill by asking for any promotions that may apply. One did.

If it helps anyone, Arris SB6141 in 78249: 79.01 Mbps up, 11.02 Mbps down. (With my old TWC modem, it was 21.7 up, 2.21 down.) I have the Turbo internet package.

Faster and cheaper now, I can already notice pages load instantly and streaming fires off right away. I'm not a gamer and only use a single component on the internet at a time, Roku, laptop, or phone, so this will suit me quite well.
A year ago before this new TW modem came around, I was thinking of buying
my own.

I know when I have issues with the DVR, I simply have it replaced immediately
with no questions or hassle from TW.

I was wondering if there is a similar policy from the store that you made the
purchase of the modem ? Fast replacement & no hassles.
If there is that would be great .

Thanks

Last edited by ranchodrive; 04-28-2015 at 12:48 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 06:55 AM

302 posts, read 1,155,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
I was wondering if there is a similar policy from the store that you made the
purchase of the modem ? Fast replacement & no hassles.
If there is that would be great .

Thanks
I bought a 2 yr product protection plan for $8 additional. I have not had to make any claim, and hopefully won't, so not sure how fast the process is or what is entailed. It's Asurion through WalMart.

Renting the modem through TWC is $8/month = $96/year. If this new modem lasts longer than a year, (fully expect it to, as my previous modem has lasted over 8 years and was still working) then I'm ahead on monetary outlay. Geez.. I guess I've spent $768 or more on that old slow rented TWC modem over the years, Yikes!

Old 04-28-2015, 07:42 AM

4,322 posts, read 7,224,964 times
Quote:
Geez.. I guess I've spent $768 or more on that old slow rented TWC modem over the years, Yikes!
IIRC, it was only about 3 years ago that TW started charging a monthly rental fee on their modems. Started out at $5 or $6/month, I believe.

My experience with modems has been that they are far less likely to need replacement, than a set-top box for TV.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 AM

733 posts, read 1,046,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
IIRC, it was only about 3 years ago that TW started charging a monthly rental fee on their modems. Started out at $5 or $6/month, I believe.

My experience with modems has been that they are far less likely to need replacement, than a set-top box for TV.
they JUST raised it to 8/month recently, last 2 months or so. i have the same modem, no protection plan though. been going strong since around october of last year. half a year with NO hardware issues at all.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:50 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,618,550 times
Quote:
I bought a 2 yr product protection plan for $8 additional. I have not had to make any claim, and hopefully won't, so not sure how fast the process is or what is entailed. It's Asurion through WalMart.

Renting the modem through TWC is $8/month = $96/year. If this new modem lasts longer than a year, (fully expect it to, as my previous modem has lasted over 8 years and was still working) then I'm ahead on monetary outlay. Geez.. I guess I've spent $768 or more on that old slow rented TWC modem over the years, Yikes!
Thanks.
The information about renting vs owning a modem is what prompted
me into thinking about making some changes & savings.

Like it has been noted, my modem functions fine, unlike the DVR that I've
had to replace several times.

It's the not knowing how fast the process is or what is entailed in replacing
the modem .

Old 04-28-2015, 02:02 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,186,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
It's the not knowing how fast the process is or what is entailed in replacing
the modem .
Disconnect the old modem, connect the new one, call TWC and you're up and running. I was on the phone for about 5 minutes.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:26 PM

948 posts, read 1,841,102 times
Still don't have it yet but I did find out something interesting. Did yall know TWC blocks incoming ports? I pay for Internet and if I need to port forward some ports to services that I'm running, I shouldn't have to call them to open the port. After spending two days trying to get port forwarding to work, as a last ditch effort I called them to see if anything was being filtered or blocked, gave them the ports I needed opened and just like that my stuff worked. I never had to do that before. When did this change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio