Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 01:04 PM

19 posts, read 23,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
I chatted online with a TWC rep. and he said its because I have other devices like an ipad, iphone, a smart tv. that it's getting spread through all them.....really???
While it "can" contribute to slower speeds, unless all of them are streaming/downloading at the same time it's very unlikely it will be a HUGE damper on speed. On average I have 5-7 devices connected at once. I can watch Netflix and do a speed test and see very little difference in speed. While not streaming Netflix, I get ~22.8/2.4 Mbps. While streaming I get ~19.4/2.2 Mbps. Like I said, unless you are streaming/downloading on ALL devices you really shouldn't see 25% less download than advertised.

Also, got an update on a time frame for the 78223 area for TWC Maxx. I spoke with another TWC Chat Rep and he gave me a date of the last week of April. That's a BIG difference from the first one who said our area would be getting it in June. Not sure if the first one didn't know what he was talking about or if they are making greater progress then expected. So we'll see what the last week of April brings me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 02:11 PM

464 posts, read 804,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley View Post

Also, got an update on a time frame for the 78223 area for TWC Maxx. I spoke with another TWC Chat Rep and he gave me a date of the last week of April. That's a BIG difference from the first one who said our area would be getting it in June. Not sure if the first one didn't know what he was talking about or if they are making greater progress then expected. So we'll see what the last week of April brings me.
In my experience, TWC will tell you anything. There seems to be no accountability for their reps. They blindly transfer you from one department to another, no warm handoff causing you to restate your whole case for the new rep.

This must be the mantra at TWC training:

Old 04-09-2015, 02:15 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times
One thing they haven't done yet is change your customer name to something derogatory when you fail to renew a requested disconnect ala Comcast. I pray that merger doesn't go through.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:16 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,130 times
I got my modem at the beginning of April and since I have standard plan I went from 15d 1u to 50d 5u. Later I upgraded to 100d 10u for $10 more a month for 12 months.

For a while I thought I'm not really getting an advantage of the speed til I realized that I haven't optimized my settings so I DLed the TCP optimizer software and boy, did it work.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:28 PM

464 posts, read 804,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
I chatted online with a TWC rep. and he said its because I have other devices like an ipad, iphone, a smart tv. that it's getting spread through all them.....really???
If you're using your own router behind the TWC modem, your home network is NATted. Again using your own modem, your iPad, iPods, Smart TVs, etc, would all be assigned non-externally routable IP addresses and TWC would only see traffic coming from your modem with one IP address (your router's.) They would not be able to tell what device was initiating the traffic.

The TWC rep who told you that was either reading from a script, made it up, poorly trained/informed or all of the above. I think the latter applies

Old 04-09-2015, 02:32 PM

Yessir, the correct answer is D) all of the above.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:34 PM

898 posts, read 2,895,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
If you're using your own router behind the TWC modem, your home network is NATted. Again using your own modem, your iPad, iPods, Smart TVs, etc, would all be assigned non-externally routable IP addresses and TWC would only see traffic coming from your modem with one IP address (your router's.) They would not be able to tell what device was initiating the traffic.

The TWC rep who told you that was either reading from a script, made it up, poorly trained/informed or all of the above. I think the latter applies
well, I had good luck last time I chatted with a rep through their facebook page, I'll give that a shot, see what they say

Old 04-09-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
Correctomundo...in a previous call to their support the rep said all he could see was the router. This also applies to whatever you have hard-wired to your router.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 PM

19 posts, read 23,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Yessir, the correct answer is D) all of the above.
Spot on. Lol I've been with TWC for 12 or 13 years now and I've heard it all. I even had one tell me it's possible water leaked into the wires causing internet instability and packet loss but that was just BS because the wires had been replaced the year before so it wasn't years of weather erosion. Anyways, they just need to hurry up and upgrade these hubs so I can stream to twitch comfortably.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley View Post
Spot on. Lol I've been with TWC for 12 or 13 years now and I've heard it all. I even had one tell me it's possible water leaked into the wires causing internet instability and packet loss but that was just BS because the wires had been replaced the year before so it wasn't years of weather erosion. Anyways, they just need to hurry up and upgrade these hubs so I can stream to twitch comfortably.
They told me I'd have the MAXX the first two weeks of April. Well, they got 48 hrs. I'm not holding my breath. It's sad when you know just as much, if not more, than the person reading the script off of a computer screen. They get all flustered when you say "next, already done" when going through the steps. I got all excited when they posted the Culebra hub being upgraded yesterday seeing as I live just off Culebra, but no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio