Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 06:09 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times

Advertisements

Sighhhh.....I miss Southpark Meadows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I wonder why the venue was short-lived? I googled it and it looks to be a church now.
There were some vague mutterings by Live Nation about the land being more valuable for development than as a concert venue, but considering that the real estate developers weren't exactly clambering over each other to build neighborhoods there, and that it ended up as a church, I remain skeptical about that excuse. Maybe the Austin 360 folks <ahem> "encouraged" Live Nation to sell?

Old 04-10-2015, 10:40 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The Eagles played at the AT&T Center here 5 months ago.

Speaking of Def Leopard, I think the last time they were here they played for free in the parking lot of WalMart on I-10/De Zavala.

Eagles are in Austin in May; I know because I wanted to go but it's in the middle of the week.. I don't think they played here 5 months ago; their tour is going to hit this area and land in Austin and of all places, I believe Eagle Pass... Totally weird, but makes sense if they want the Mexico market.
I remember U2 went to Houston then to Monterrey and from here in S.A. 4 bus loads of U2 fans went into Mexico for the concert.
You would think Eagles would play in S.A. to capture the Mexico crowd, but probably think Austin is close enough...
I'm not going to Austin during the week and certainly not to Eagle Pass.. This takes place this coming May.....
Sorry S.A. fans of the Eagles......

Old 04-10-2015, 10:49 PM

346 posts, read 647,275 times
Does Austin divert more shows from San Antonio?

Now that I live in South Texas, I always look at San Antonio as it's the closest place for most major shows.

This is not scientific, but I recall as a teen in the late 1980s-1990s, the classic black tour shirts with all the cities on the back. You'd see 40 cities at times. Now, I notice a major tour may have closer 20 stops (or multiple shows in the very large metros). I think major bands are concentrating on the high profit places - I will see tours go from Dallas to Phoenix - or Houston to Atlanta - without bothering to stop in between.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:11 PM

898 posts, read 2,895,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The Eagles played at the AT&T Center here 5 months ago.

Speaking of Def Leopard, I think the last time they were here they played for free in the parking lot of WalMart on I-10/De Zavala.
Def Leppard played the AT&T center in 2011

Old 04-11-2015, 12:00 AM

905 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Van Halen played with David Lee Roth around 2010 or 2011 at Att Center.. Beautiful show...

Old 04-11-2015, 01:14 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
One factor is that we lost the main venue used by big festival tours when the Verizon Amphitheater closed.
This is exactly the reason why big names don't come here anymore.

Arenas, like AT&T, Freeman, and the Alamodome, are HORRIBLE venues for concerts. Promoters know they can't sell tickets to arena shows, so the only way they can make money is to charge a hefty per-ticket price at smaller venues like the Majestic or Municipal Auditorium.

I am of the opinion that Wolff Stadium could make a successful concert venue. With a lot of work, San Antonio Speedway could, as well.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:16 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
So do I. That place ROCKED!

The fact that it's now a shopping center just makes it that much more of a shame.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:32 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
that place closed down EONS ago

i still remember seeing david bowie and NIN there one summer with my HS gf..

Old 04-11-2015, 02:46 PM

1,038 posts, read 876,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Eagles are in Austin in May; I know because I wanted to go but it's in the middle of the week.. I don't think they played here 5 months ago; their tour is going to hit this area and land in Austin and of all places, I believe Eagle Pass... Totally weird, but makes sense if they want the Mexico market.
I remember U2 went to Houston then to Monterrey and from here in S.A. 4 bus loads of U2 fans went into Mexico for the concert.
You would think Eagles would play in S.A. to capture the Mexico crowd, but probably think Austin is close enough...
I'm not going to Austin during the week and certainly not to Eagle Pass.. This takes place this coming May.....
Sorry S.A. fans of the Eagles......

They last played SA on 10/15/14. I was there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio