Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:21 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times

Advertisements

When it comes to employment knowing spanish has been an asset here for hundreds of years here in San Antonio. NOT, just the last fifty years.
Since these two European cultures first met here at this crossroads at the River in south Texas, bilingualism has been asset. If you know only a smattering of spanish, you can get by in restaurants, stores, etc. where only the exchange of ideas needs to take place. Course - you will need to learn the menus. Some of the items on local menus may not appeal to Yankee tastes. Lengua is very good, Beef Tongue in Tacos. Tripitas... I, have never... even tried.
Menudo is a soup you must first learn the ingredients of before trying. Maybe not. Simply try these menu items once you arrive with an open minded approach and do not ask about the ingredients contained within..
Caldo is a more traditional type of soup, with cabbage, beef and other vegetables. Try a "combination plate"
at the restaurants around town for a taste of several local favorite menu items here in the birthplace of Tex-Mex cooking.

I was only recently astonished to note how well Jeb Bush speaks spanish in some online interviews.
Don't think he will win my vote for this in the next election.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I have been to many restaurants on the south side of SA where the majority of the staff speaks little to no english, and many other businesses, if you want to experience the whole city you need to speak at least some spanish. As many others have mentioned, being bi-lingual in SA is an asset when it comes to employment, it has been for the past 50 years, and I'm guessing it will be for the next 50 years.

For those of you that think english is the official language therefore spanish is irrelevant, might I point out that these types of people are the ones always saying "What did he/she say?" and "I think they are talking about me".

Grew up in SA, mom spoke spanish, dad spoke english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0gwai View Post
I'll be moving to SA with my kiddos and wondering if I should relearn Spanish
no reason. most people here speak enough english for you to understand them.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:49 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default All Residents,

A law should be passed to make Spanish the "Official " language of San Antonio.
Its' citizens must be force fed spanish, whether they like it or not , to be taught at school and at an early age.
Anyone disagreeing with this new law must leave the town immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
You should learn Spanish because you WANT to....not because you HAVE to.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:27 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
For those of you that think english is the official language therefore spanish is irrelevant, might I point out that these types of people are the ones always saying "What did he/she say?" and "I think they are talking about me"
Actually, there is no official language.

But I really think everyone should know at least 2 languages.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:34 PM

117 posts, read 200,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
My kids are in a Spanish-speaking school, here in San Antonio, because we want them to learn Spanish. And French, and Chinese, and as many languages as possible.

Viva Los Spurs!
Chaka, which school is that? I want to put my kids there!

Old 04-14-2015, 06:14 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
There are multiple schools that offer dual language (which we prefer) and even more that offer 50-50 bilingual here in SA. I believe we have quite a list to get into the dual language program if you live out of the area that it's zoned for...as in our case. Our son was accepted before Kinder...and once you're in, you're in. I'm not sure that Chinese etc is offered at any of them, at least not at the elementary level . I know it isn't at ours. Our son will start learning Mandarin next year privately.

Last edited by Pancho-Villa; 04-14-2015 at 06:27 PM..

Old 04-14-2015, 06:39 PM

60 posts, read 86,888 times
You won't need it to survive here. Any reputable place here will speak English. All the schools are English, etc. Can't think of a reason why it would be necessary for the most part. It is America. But it never hurts to know what the person beside you is saying.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:58 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calispers View Post
Chaka, which school is that? I want to put my kids there!
Bonham Academy, an SAISD charter. They have 2 or 3 others as well. NISD and NEISD also have dual language programs, as does AHISD but the structure and lottery may be somewhat different. This is our neighborhood school so it was a done deal. My 3rd grader's Spanish is very good, as is her accent. She's shy so hesitates to speak it unless forced (like when we're in a Spanish speaking country or she's speaking to Spanish speaking people), and then she does just fine.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:00 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
There are multiple schools that offer dual language (which we prefer) and even more that offer 50-50 bilingual here in SA. I believe we have quite a list to get into the dual language program if you live out of the area that it's zoned for...as in our case. Our son was accepted before Kinder...and once you're in, you're in. I'm not sure that Chinese etc is offered at any of them, at least not at the elementary level . I know it isn't at ours. Our son will start learning Mandarin next year privately.

Not as a regular course. For awhile Bonham offered a once per week Chinese class to grades K-5 (maybe 6-8 but I don't remember), but the program was funded by an independent non-profit. The State department also offers funding for Chinese and Arabic language instruction, if the school applies for it. Our school hasn't done it the last few years for a variety of reasons, but hopefully we will again soon.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:10 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
Once a week isn't effective at all (IMO). Not sure if our school will be applying for any of the state funding, but our 2nd grader will start Mandarin privately anyway. Having certain family that speak "Spanish only" and "English only" and the rest Bilingual is very good for him. Spending his summers in MX with his grandma really immerses him. It's such an advantage to have 2 languages essentially out of the way and ready for his third.
He doesn't have any accent and when in summer camp this past year (MX), they (the other kids) couldn't believe that he lived here in the US. So wonderful to learn when young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio