Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:27 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
On any given day in any given city you will from people from the metro area doing business and interacting with each other. While OP might have asked about the city it is not a good measure.

To the OP...

This city is majority minority and soon the state will be as well. That said the city has plenty of pockets of white non-Hispanic majority areas.

Alamo Heights only 13.55% Hispanic or Latino

Terrill Hill 11.68% Hispanic or Latino

Shaving Park 13.06 Hispanic or Latino

Olmos Park 14.6%

My zip code 78232 (a little over 33,000 people) 28% Hispanic or Latino

If you go the some south or Westside zip codes you might find it 95% Hispanic or Latino...
Those are tiny little enclaves whose combined population is 20,000 at the most. Besides, Alamo Heights ISD is about 40% Hispanic. Most of this kids there live in AH, TH, or OP, some of the most affluent areas in Bexar County. That says something about this city's future. Hispanics are now more than half of all Texas public school students. Let's not sway from reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 01:35 PM

27 posts, read 39,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Those are tiny little enclaves whose combined population is 20,000 at the most. Besides, Alamo Heights ISD is about 40% Hispanic. Most of this kids there live in AH, TH, or OP, some of the most affluent areas in Bexar County. That says something about this city's future. Hispanics are now more than half of all Texas public school students. Let's not sway from reality.
lets not forget the numbers posted are just documented people

Old 04-26-2015, 01:42 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Implied,

It was thought you implied this because this is the second or third time I have read the same tale entered here by you. About the N word being bandied about by people in San Antonio. I do not know if it is worse there than in most places. I would say, yes.
It is true.
Also true I feel, is that some areas here in the city are far worse than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Mexican is a nationality, but I guess it can be viewed as an ethnicity. Mexican was not an option on the U.S. Census. The option was Hispanic. If you are mestizo like most people of Mexican descent, then you are mixed race, not just white. One study of Americans of Mexican descent found that they, on average, are 47% Native American. The sample was small, though. The Census lets people choose "other" or more than one race.

I don't think I've ever implied that. I just said it does exist here (as it does many other places), and that some parts of town are worse than others in this respect.

A year or two depending on how long it takes me to complete my dissertation.

I've never lived in Austin. I still drive to San Antonio more than I drive to Austin because I have family there.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
studies overlook the most obvious things. mexicans as a whole have 'native' american in them (nothing native about a people who migrated here). this comes from spaniards breeding with 'native' americans and creating the mexican ethnicity.

silly studies.. overlooking the most obvious facts...
I don't understand what you're trying to get at here. The study didn't overlook anything. It simply was testing for the racial composition of Hispanics in the U.S.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:30 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
I guess I don't understand the point of this thread. The OP thought the percentage of non-Hispanic whites was about twice as high as it actually is, and has not been back. Nothing was presented about the reason of his/her perception of San Antonio. We've just been arguing with each other trying to figure it out. This is pointless. Peace...

Old 04-26-2015, 07:58 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
I guess I don't understand the point of this thread. The OP thought the percentage of non-Hispanic whites was about twice as high as it actually is, and has not been back. Nothing was presented about the reason of his/her perception of San Antonio. We've just been arguing with each other trying to figure it out. This is pointless. Peace...
My thoughts too although I haven't been part of the discussion. I will say that I pay attention more to city of San Antonio(or at least Bexar county) figures than all of the San Antonio metro figures when looking up statistical data.

If someone asked me percentage of Hispanics in San Antonio, I wouldnt think they are asking about Kendall, Comal, Medina, Wilson, and other MSA counties figures to be included.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:25 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Suspiciously Similar Post,

Agreed. They know they can get a response with this type of nonsense.
I think it is likely the same person making this type of entry because I have noticed the phrasing used is always so very similar that it is unlikely to be a coincidence.

Someone in this thread unbelievably misspelled "simpathy" too. Hilarious. No simpathy for spanish only speakers even if there ain't many.
I have no simpathy for bad spelling in public, as in a forum or in advertising( Billboards).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
OP seems to be a bit troll-ish. This thread was their first post and they have not been back since.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:50 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Quote:

What??? OMG!! Totally wrong... I was in the A.H. ISD System, my children are in it now, being Hispanic,(actually Portuguese,) A.H. ISD is maybe 10% Hispanic, maybe less;
None the less, what does it matter??
The OP blanket question was 20% of S.A. which includes all the metro cities within S.A., and his 20% number is not accurate...
What does it matter?? S.A. is one of the most diverse upcoming diverse cities and that's what matters!! Everyone welcome... Melting pot for different cultures to fuse together.....
Spanish have been here forever, heck, their drive was to convert people into Christianity. Back then, if the Indians didn't convert, then they would behead them. The Spanish crusades also included the Portuguese, all were bad asses in converting people into Christianity. Hence, missions and eventually Alamo.. Going fast forward, Germans settled here, look at all the German influence all around us.... still here...... Gruene, pioneer flower, Hondo area, King William, look at the roof tops around HackberrySt. High pitch roof tops....
I can keep going on......
German club! San Antonio Country Club! Can't become member unless you are born into it.. Mo money in the world will get you a membership.. The DRT Daughters of Republic of Texas... Same thing.....
this city is very rich with culture and it's all around us.
We need to remember this and not be so closed minded and it's going to happen!! Example.. The Pearl... Wow!! Look at the growth!! nice Great for the area, but who remembers when it was abandoned and a haven for homeless and vagrant people??? For many, many years? Who remembers?? Lets go further???
Who was around when it was a thriving Brewery???? Playland Park across the street somewhere??? Who remembers that??? Guarentee you, none of the new folks living at the posh Pearl Area!! Gawd!! the river walk down there in front of the Pearl was non existent and a mud bowl... Who remembers that???

Point is.... we forget......
Some of us don't remember because they have no reference point and that's okay... but do not label San Antonio by percentages of what ethnic people live where and how many!
My turn.... No one mentioned Stone Oak! Plenty of Caucasian people live there, but has exploded with people from Mexico? Good or bad?? Bad for the Caucasians because the people from Mexico residing there are rude; good for them because they found a sub division where they feel safe..
Who is right and who is wrong????
good night!!!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:54 PM

27 posts, read 39,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
What??? OMG!! Totally wrong... I was in the A.H. ISD System, my children are in it now, being Hispanic,(actually Portuguese,) A.H. ISD is maybe 10% Hispanic, maybe less;
The OP blanket question was 20% of S.A. which includes all the metro cities within S.A., and his 20% number is not accurate...
What does it matter?? S.A. is one of the most diverse upcoming diverse cities and that's what matters!! Everyone welcome... Melting pot for different cultures to fuse together.....
Spanish have been here forever, heck, their drive was to convert people into Christianity. Back then, if the Indians didn't convert, then they would behead them. The Spanish crusades also included the Portuguese, all were bad asses in converting people into Christianity. Hence, missions and eventually Alamo.. Going fast forward, Germans settled here, look at all the German influence all around us.... still here...... Gruene, pioneer flower, Hondo area, King William, look at the roof tops around HackberrySt. High pitch roof tops....
I can keep going on......
German club! San Antonio Country Club! Can't become member unless you are born into it.. Mo money in the world will get you a membership.. The DRT Daughters of Republic of Texas... Same thing.....
this city is very rich with culture and it's all around us.
We need to remember this and not be so closed minded and it's going to happen!! Example.. The Pearl... Wow!! Look at the growth!! nice Great for the area, but who remembers when it was abandoned and a haven for homeless and vagrant people??? For many, many years? Who remembers?? Lets go further???
Who was around when it was a thriving Brewery???? Playland Park across the street somewhere??? Who remembers that??? Guarentee you, none of the new folks living at the posh Pearl Area!! Gawd!! the river walk down there in front of the Pearl was non existent and a mud bowl... Who remembers that???

Point is.... we forget......
Some of us don't remember because they have no reference point and that's okay... but do not label San Antonio by percentages of what ethnic people live where and how many!
My turn.... No one mentioned Stone Oak! Plenty of Caucasian people live there, but has exploded with people from Mexico? Good or bad?? Bad for the Caucasians because the people from Mexico residing there are rude; good for them because they found a sub division where they feel safe..
Who is right and who is wrong????
good night!!!
I read the first 22 words but you just proved everyone's point %10 Hispanic and the number #1 school in the METRO plex . EOD

Old 04-27-2015, 08:01 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
AHISD | Profile

Quote:
African American 1.5%
Hispanic 39.4%
White 54.8%
Asian/Pacific Isl. 2.2%
Native American 0.2%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio