Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:01 PM

8 posts, read 6,650 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone
I will be moving to San Antonio in mod May. May 16/17th to be exact. I am taking a job at the VA. I have been looking on line at apartments in or near the VA. I would like to find something close. I am hoping to use publix transit, walk or bike back ans forth to work as much as possible. Does anyons have an suggestions. Looking for one bedroom, gated complex with washer/dryer hook ups. Would like to stay between $600 to $750. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 07:25 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,641,280 times
Working at the VA will put you in the middle of the medical center. Public transit is plentiful in that area, but cycling is not. I am a cyclist and would be very scared to ride in that area. It is very crowded and congested with no bike lanes. Within that budget you will be able to find a so/so apartment with the washer/dryer and gate. Public transportation is good in that general area because it is so densley populated, but getting many other places will be very hard. A car is pretty much a necessity. Please //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...etro-info.html as well. It will put our city into prospective.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 04-26-2015 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: changed everything after rereading

Old 04-27-2015, 12:42 PM

Thank you ashbeeigh.
I do have a car but I`m hoping to not have to drive back and forth to work everyday. I have been apartment hunting as I mentioned. The places I have seen are Hunters Glen, and Axio so far. My daughter lives in Helotis(? Spelling) but I know from that area traffic would be a bit of a mess. I`m 47 and I`m all about simple living at this point.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,801,420 times
There are enough apartments around the VA that you should be able to find one within an easy walk to work. Hunters Glen doesn't look like walking distance and the traffic isn't suitable for riding a bike. I would avoid the area around Datapoint, a lot of those apartments are pretty run down. Cinnamon Creek has some pretty shady apartments too.

Also, I don't know if gates are the same at apartment complexes everywhere, but here they seem to only work half the time and everyone runs them, so they're more of a nuisance than a safety feature.

You should look at the complexes right around the VA. Try to get within a mile or less. I don't know where you're moving from but here it's pretty hot and humid and it's easy to get sweaty and stinky walking a couple of miles to work.

One thing about cycling, if you like to ride and you have a bike rack for your car, there are some excellent trails not far from the Medical Center.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:15 PM

702 posts, read 725,292 times
Google any apartment finder in the city. Tell them your needs and they will help you find complexes that fit your needs. Also, it is a free service.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:21 PM

Thank you Hedgehog mom and Etropy Guardian. I have looked on apartments
Com. My daughther suggested looking out on Huebner. She had lived out that way before she built her house.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:39 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,641,280 times
Search within 78229 and 78240. Those will be the closet to the VA. Huebner might be a bit far for a walk. Google the addresses and see how close/far they are.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 AM

You all are being so help and I am very grateful. I am seeing that I may have to give up the thought of walking distance. Are there any streets/areas I should avoid? I have an SA city map that I will use to compare with what I have found online. I know it seems I am being a bit dramatic about this but I am loading everything in a truck loading my car and driving down on the 16/17. My is trying to help but she is working and going to school full time. I will only have about 4 days to find a place before I have to return the truck. I am just wanting to narrow down my area before I get there. I`m not looking for a big place or fancy. As I said before I am downsizing. Looking for. 1 bed 1bath with washer/dryer or hook up in a safe complex geared toward family/mature adults. Nothing against college students biut there is a reason I am not moving in with my daughter.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:18 AM

733 posts, read 1,044,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehg View Post
Thank you ashbeeigh.
I do have a car but I`m hoping to not have to drive back and forth to work everyday. I have been apartment hunting as I mentioned. The places I have seen are Hunters Glen, and Axio so far. My daughter lives in Helotis(? Spelling) but I know from that area traffic would be a bit of a mess. I`m 47 and I`m all about simple living at this point.
stay away from datapoint. i lived there when i moved to SA over a decade ago. it has gone straight downhill since i moved away ~2 years after moving here. poor guys who ran the datapoint food mart were robbed a few times, had their front door shot up, vandalism, thefts, tons of foot traffic and loitering.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:25 AM

WOW that is right in the in the area that keeps popping up in all my searches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio