Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 06:07 PM

222 posts, read 708,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
And I'll bet you a beer that most non-geek parents have *no idea* how much bandwidth their kids are consuming. They may be in for a rude awakening.

And that's why I'm a GEEK and PROUD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 02:21 PM

422 posts, read 1,454,171 times
I have 6 PCs in my house, not to mention 3 NDS, PS3, PSP, and Wii that all hook up to the wifi. Not to mention PCs I work on on the side that require updates and software downloads. It shouldn't be too hard to hit the limit.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:55 PM

259 posts, read 912,375 times
I've never felt any need or desire to monitor my Internet usage, but I installed the latest version of the Tomato firmware on my router yesterday because of its logging/graphing capabilities. It says I've used 3.53GB so far today. I can't remember any big downloads, so I assume my kids are responsible for most of the activity.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:07 PM

375 posts, read 613,955 times
It's up to you guys in Texas to save the rest of us. Let TW know that you'll drop them like a warm **** if they pull that stunt. I called my local TW cable and they said they didn't know anything about it. (BULL)
The on-line movies and TV shows are cutting into their cable TV business. Thank goodness for DirectTV and DSL.
You can bet everyone else is watching how they fare in Beaumont.
Hold the line.
Remember the Alamo!
Don't Mess with Texas!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 PM

330 posts, read 1,376,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
I can't remember any big downloads, so I assume my kids are responsible for most of the activity.
See the top comic in the link below for the explanation.

The Return of the Lone Iguana: A ... - Google Book Search

Old 06-07-2008, 09:23 AM

259 posts, read 912,375 times
This article says AT&T is going to test usage-based pricing, too.

AT&T Embraces BitTorrent, May Consider Usage-Based Pricing | Epicenter from Wired.com

I think monkeys will fly out of my butt before AT&T bills me only when my phone is in use. And I doubt Time Warner will ever allow me to pay only for the television programming I actually watch.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:26 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,855,004 times
Default Limiting internet useage....affect SA soon?

It has begun...is it only a matter of time for the others to follow here in SA? 250 GB sounds like a decent amount though..what do you think? What's scary is that one will receive a call for the first overage...then if 2 overages are discovered within a 6 month time frame...suspended for one year!!!

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Comcast Corp, the largest U.S. cable operator, said on Thursday it will cap customers' Internet usage starting October 1, in a bid to ensure the best service for the vast majority of its subscribers.
ADVERTISEMENT

Comcast said it was setting a monthly data usage threshold of 250 gigabytes per account for all residential high-speed Internet customers, or the equivalent of 50 million e-mails or 124 standard-definition movies.

Comcast to limit customers' broadband usage - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080829/wr_nm/comcast_internet_dc - broken link)

Old 08-29-2008, 09:16 AM

317 posts, read 1,754,796 times
Did you catch that bit in there about Time Warner- "it would run a trial of billing Internet subscribers based on usage rather than a flat fee."

I would think this would go over like a lead balloon. I hate the idea of any of these people limiting use or considering charging for use this way.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,855,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
Did you catch that bit in there about Time Warner- "it would run a trial of billing Internet subscribers based on usage rather than a flat fee."

I would think this would go over like a lead balloon. I hate the idea of any of these people limiting use or considering charging for use this way.
I don't think that anyone really likes the idea, but I suspect that this is what providers are gravitating towards. It's quite common in Europe.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,231,569 times
The cable companies are concerned about IP Video services like Apple TV from competing against their primary product and reducing the incentive to sign up for pay TV services. They don't want their broadband product to be the one delivering the competition to the subscriber. To avoid drawing the ire of regulators, this is all being presented as an effort to prevent subscribers from over-consuming broadband. That's why most of the noise about this is coming from legacy cable providers rather than telephone companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio