Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 05:46 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'll stick with my RR Turbo
Nice! That certainly makes me feel a lot better!

My husband and I both rely on the internet for income, so not having high speed (or even just having weak high speed) is just not an option!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 05:52 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Nice! That certainly makes me feel a lot better!

My husband and I both rely on the internet for income, so not having high speed (or even just having weak high speed) is just not an option!
We also run business from home, most of which is website based with lots of graphics work. So, we may have to consider alternatives. I like RR, we've been with them for years!

Old 04-05-2009, 05:59 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
The turbo has a boost here, where it will spike up for brief periods when downloading large files. It is advertised at 15/1.5, but you can see it will go higher. There were brief periods of the test where it spiked higher, but the test goes with the average, not the highest. I've seen it get over 20 with certain FTP sites, but those are pretty rare.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
The turbo has a boost here, where it will spike up for brief periods when downloading large files. It is advertised at 15/1.5, but you can see it will go higher. There were brief periods of the test where it spiked higher, but the test goes with the average, not the highest. I've seen it get over 20 with certain FTP sites, but those are pretty rare.
Well, the speed is certainly there and that's awesome.

I went to Time Warner's site to try to see what their pricing was and there were no prices available online other than the Turbo is only $9.99/mo extra, which doesn't seem bad to me at all. Of course, I have no idea what the basic cost is...

At any rate, are they now going to be charging for different speeds AND for different tiers of usage?

Old 04-05-2009, 06:13 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I think we're just going to have to wait and see. The best value comes from the two-year agreements. I increased my RR to turbo and went from just Texas calling to nationwide and ended up cutting my monthly bill by $25. oops, I forgot, it's not good to save money.. I should actually send them an extra $20 just to make it fair...

Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 AM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,468 times
Quote:
I'll stick with my RR Turbo

and some of us go to school online, which burns through a lot of BW.
And those online courses do not need to be full 1080p video either. Standard 480i in mpeg4 would do fine and does not consume massive amounts of bandwidth(at least not to HD). But even at $1/gig that is still going to way cheaper than driving to class. Bandwidth is not free and there are smart optimization that can be made on both sides that reduce bandwidth requirements and that helps everyone.
Quote:
But I suppose furthering ones education is a bad thing now too..
nice strawman
Quote:
IPv6 will become a part of daily life eventually, whether they want it or not. Granted, most people don't know what it is now, but they also didn't know what MP3's were in the mid 90's.. I prefer to stay at the head of the pack, not down in the muck
And so anyone who does not believe in flat rate billing as the the only viable solution is a Luddite. I will tell you I would prefer flat rate billing as it is easier on everyone, but i also realize there are problems with that model. I also think TW is making a mistake and putting the caps to low, which is going to hurt them more than help them.

The main problem is netflix and hulu. The low caps seem to be more of a strike to protect their video business than than to reign in the excess bandwidth users.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:31 AM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Well, the speed is certainly there and that's awesome.

I went to Time Warner's site to try to see what their pricing was and there were no prices available online other than the Turbo is only $9.99/mo extra, which doesn't seem bad to me at all. Of course, I have no idea what the basic cost is...

At any rate, are they now going to be charging for different speeds AND for different tiers of usage?
IF they are going to charge by bandwidth, I think everyone should get the fastest speed.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
I just learned about this web site: Stop the Cap! · Fight Back Against Usage Caps for Cable, DSL, and Fiber Optic Broadband

It was mentioned in this NY Times blog article... Time Warner Cable Profits Will Grow With Broadband Caps - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times Article
I tried to explore the marginal costs with Mr. Hobbs. When someone decides to spend a day doing nothing but downloading every Jerry Lewis movie from BitTorrent, Time Warner doesn’t have to write a bigger check to anyone. Rather, as best as I can figure it, the costs are all about building the network equipment and buying long-haul bandwidth for peak capacity.

If that is true, the question of what is “fair” is somewhat more abstract than just saying someone who uses more should pay more. After all, people who watch more hours of cable television don’t pay more than those who don’t.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times Article
Comcast recently imposed a cap of 250 gigabytes on all users, far higher that the levels chosen by Time Warner.
This seems like a far less greedy way to go.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,339 times
Angry ...a must read article on the TWC price gouging

The price-gouging premiums of Time Warner Cable's data caps - Ars Technica

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio