Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 AM

4 posts, read 5,308 times

Advertisements

Ok, so this morning on the way to work as I got off Hwy 90 and getting on Old Hwy 90 there is a bridge that you have to cross over. I was following behind a motorcycle that I paced as doing 60 mph. I could visually tell he was going that speed anyway as I drive a motorcycle and know what it is like to drive it. As we got over the bridge he accelerated even more as did I.

I got up to about 65 and I know that he had gone a little faster initially and then slowed to about 65. I paced him for quite awhile (still not sure if it was a motorcycle cop) and then at one point I see him slow down and I slowed down to pace him until he slowed under the speed limit. I slowly caught up with him and as I was passing he pulls in behind me and gives me a ticket for speeding 64 in a 45.

I guess my question is what are the rules for the police speeding? He obviously was not on a call and he was speeding the same as I. I also happen to have a dash cam and have this all recorded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 07:54 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
He MAY have been pacing YOU from the lead (they can and will do that). You can present it to the judge, but doubt that you're going to prevail.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:57 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
There's no question you were speeding, I assume. As for the police you can be sure they have some rules or guidelines and are of course supposed to heed all traffic laws.(aside from emergencies IE coffee breaks) Policing of the police not gonna happen and some just feel they're above the law since they are the law.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:07 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsatx View Post
Ok, so this morning on the way to work as I got off Hwy 90 and getting on Old Hwy 90 there is a bridge that you have to cross over. I was following behind a motorcycle that I paced as doing 60 mph. I could visually tell he was going that speed anyway as I drive a motorcycle and know what it is like to drive it. As we got over the bridge he accelerated even more as did I.

I got up to about 65 and I know that he had gone a little faster initially and then slowed to about 65. I paced him for quite awhile (still not sure if it was a motorcycle cop) and then at one point I see him slow down and I slowed down to pace him until he slowed under the speed limit. I slowly caught up with him and as I was passing he pulls in behind me and gives me a ticket for speeding 64 in a 45.

I guess my question is what are the rules for the police speeding? He obviously was not on a call and he was speeding the same as I. I also happen to have a dash cam and have this all recorded.
What he was doing was probably allowed, heck they can change lanes all day in this city without using turn signals too which is something I see A LOT of with the local law enforcement and also us regular citizens.

Those new cop motorcycles are harder to spot. Good luck in court.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:22 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
Sounds like he baited you and you took the bait.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:28 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsatx View Post
gives me a ticket for speeding 64 in a 45.
So he probably gave you a choice of paying a fine or appearing in court.

If you just pay a fine, you walk away.

If you take it to court, you may win or you may lose, which will cost you more money...

The issue is you. You were speeding.

"I could visually tell he was going that speed anyway as I drive a motorcycle and know what it is like to drive it. " So, you were still speeding, in the end you still got a ticket. Tell it to the judge...

Old 05-01-2015, 10:32 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,192,109 times
This ^^^^

Hope it was a County Officer, City will take you to the cleaners.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 5,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
So he probably gave you a choice of paying a fine or appearing in court.

If you just pay a fine, you walk away.

If you take it to court, you may win or you may lose, which will cost you more money...

The issue is you. You were speeding.

"I could visually tell he was going that speed anyway as I drive a motorcycle and know what it is like to drive it. " So, you were still speeding, in the end you still got a ticket. Tell it to the judge...
this is total BS. IF you fight it an lose the fine is the same.

Stop spreading mis information

Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
No reason not to fight it. It isn't about safety, you know what it's all about. Did OP crash at 65 mph? No, he didn't. They obviously can handle it. So why should they pay any $$$ to the city coffers?

Old 05-01-2015, 12:10 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
No reason not to fight it. It isn't about safety, you know what it's all about. Did OP crash at 65 mph? No, he didn't. They obviously can handle it. So why should they pay any $$$ to the city coffers?
ummm....because they exceeded the posted speed limit?

What'd I win?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio