Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:07 AM

355 posts, read 1,375,017 times

Advertisements

Im an art student. I find it a bit irritating that peopel talk about graffitti, tattoos, and comic books and that type of work along with paintings, and sculpture. Very different things, Im not sure I would call them all art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 11:01 AM

413 posts, read 1,404,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
Im an art student. I find it a bit irritating that peopel talk about graffitti, tattoos, and comic books and that type of work along with paintings, and sculpture. Very different things, Im not sure I would call them all art.
Wow! Art is all around us. Art is subjective. It's different to all people. It's like some people saying golf or cheerleading isn't a sport. Tattoos are pretty much just art permanently marked on people's bodies. It's art that represents the person they are. They are each different types of art. Being an art student, I don't see how you could be so ignorant to other forms of art. I'm interested to see what you do consider art.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:15 PM

83 posts, read 299,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post

very different. but they are still all art. there is all differnt kinds of genres of music. still all music.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:30 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007NY View Post
Very few "artist" in San Antonio. Sad to say. Of course I am biased, I am not from such a "small town". I would look up Robert Tatum. He started CAM (contemporary art month) and really set fire to the local art seen some time ago.

San Antonio's one and only small art area, they have decided to let the idiots move in paying 300k a month for **** lofts with very little views. So, BLUE STAR area has really become a "joke". (trust me, I'm a capitalist, make my living trading the global markets so I'm not anti-money, Im anti Idiots, who are defined as mainly Yuppies and wana be yuppies.)

So, google Robert. Also Goole CAM and start your journey into the SA art scene.
Boy, I would like to see that loft (300K a month)! Robert Tatum is good but there are ALOT of good artist in SA. Alot of crappy one's too but that is everywhere. I enjoy contemporary art but realism has many merits too. Rather see graffiti than bluebonnets anyday. Graffiti is to art, what rap is to music... you may not like it but at least it is original. Attention Gang Bangers: do your next mural on some masonite and cash in on the counter culture theme. Didn't Andy Warhol do a variation on comic book characters? Painting and sculpture are not the only true forms of fine art Metalfish. I am not keen on tattoo's because they do not wash off! Traveler Guy... it is obvious that you have confidence and passion about your talents... I would recommend getting a masters degree in fine art first. Keep the enthusiasm alive!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:37 AM

87 posts, read 294,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
You be the judge. I guess most of the stuff I do is pretty much categorized as realism. The relief was shown at an artist show a few years ago in Indianapolis. Obviously inspired by Hopper. And the rose is some of the stuff I've been doing lately. How about you? What do you do?

Attachment 13377

Attachment 13378

Nighthawks by Edward Hopper 1942 is the first one I believe. The rose is lovely.

Last edited by Age_of_Pisces210; 01-24-2008 at 06:01 AM..

Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 PM

355 posts, read 1,375,017 times
My point is simply that you cant lump comercial art and fine art all in one group like its the same thing.

Last edited by metalfish; 01-24-2008 at 08:20 PM..

Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 PM

Studio Art Tour coming up on Feb 9/10. Free. I think the website is inandoffred.com but not sure.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:55 PM

The correct website is onandofffred.org.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Some of the best art I have seen in SA has been at the student art exhibitions at the colleges and universities.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:29 AM

167 posts, read 590,695 times
I'm an artist planning a relocation to San Antonio. Any info on artist co-ops?

Marian Murdoch - Photography and Artwork
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio