Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 05:38 PM

28 posts, read 44,169 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I might have the opportunity to move to San Antonio or Austin and we are trying to decide between the two. There are things that we like and dislike about both cities, but there is no need to go into details about that. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction when it comes to neighborhoods with the following criteria:

-Close to excellent Catholic schools

-Ethnically diverse including a sizable Asian population if possible

-Extremely safe (preferably gated but not a must) neighborhood with mature green trees (I prefer a lot of green)

-walkable neighborhood where you see a good number of people (not just one or two) people jogging, pushing strollers, etc.

-I prefer a health conscious neighborhood (organic, fresh restaurants nearby, etc)

-Our budget is 800K-1M

I have been reading a lot about King William and it seems like a great little neighborhood. Any insights?
How about Terrell Hills, Alamo Heights...any others?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
With that kind of budget I would look at Olmos Park. Very walkable, lots of mature trees, middle of town which puts you close to a lot of different things (schools, shopping). There is a Trader Joe's in Alamo Heights as well as a Whole Foods. Both are within about a 10/15 minute drive from Olmos Park. This is an older part of the city and not gated. I ran through it the other day and saw more then my group running in the area (very close to Soler's...a running store) that has multiople group runs throughout the week. I'm not sure what specific "Asian" group you are looking for, there is a large southeast Asian community on the northeast side just north of Terrell Hills and and then a large more southwest asian (is that what's it's called..Indian, Pakistani, etc) in the Medical Center.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:54 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Yeah I just peeked in on this thread and "walkable" + "gated" seemed pretty darn close to describing two mutually exclusive contexts!

Old 05-22-2015, 05:56 PM

Thanks ashbeeigh,

When you say you saw people running was that in Alamo Heights or Olmos Park?
I'm assuming Olmos Park is very safe right?
Asian of any kind , but South Asian (Indian, Pakistani) would be preferable.
How does Terrell Hills, King William, and Alamo Heights compare to Olmos Park? Can you or another willing person give me a quick description of each neighborhood?
Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
With that kind of budget I would look at Olmos Park. Very walkable, lots of mature trees, middle of town which puts you close to a lot of different things (schools, shopping). There is a Trader Joe's in Alamo Heights as well as a Whole Foods. Both are within about a 10/15 minute drive from Olmos Park. This is an older part of the city and not gated. I ran through it the other day and saw more then my group running in the area (very close to Soler's...a running store) that has multiople group runs throughout the week. I'm not sure what specific "Asian" group you are looking for, there is a large southeast Asian community on the northeast side just north of Terrell Hills and and then a large more southwest asian (is that what's it's called..Indian, Pakistani, etc) in the Medical Center.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:59 PM

LOL watchful, you are totally right. I actually should just not have mentioned gated at all. Yes, I would prefer gated but then that takes away the whole walkable thing. Let's leave it as walkable and super safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Yeah I just peeked in on this thread and "walkable" + "gated" seemed pretty darn close to describing two mutually exclusive contexts!

Old 05-22-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will811 View Post
Thanks ashbeeigh,

When you say you saw people running was that in Alamo Heights or Olmos Park?
I'm assuming Olmos Park is very safe right?
How does Terrell Hills, King William, and Alamo Heights compare to Olmos Park? Can you or another willing person give me a quick description of each neighborhood?
Thank you so much
Olmos Park and Alamo Heights butt right into each other and are very small, it was through both. There are several people that live in these areas that will provide better detail. Google the names of the neighborhoods and you may find more detail. FWIW, Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills and Olmos Park are their own towns (right y'all?). With their own mayors, city councils and law enforcement. And, as I said the South Asian community is concentrated in the medical center area. From Olmos Park it would be about a 20 minute drive to get to the large chunk of this group. Search for this as well and you will find some good insight.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:20 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Hello,

My family and I might have the opportunity to move to San Antonio or Austin and we are trying to decide between the two. There are things that we like and dislike about both cities, but there is no need to go into details about that. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction when it comes to neighborhoods with the following criteria:

-Close to excellent Catholic schools

-Ethnically diverse including a sizable Asian population if possible

-Extremely safe (preferably gated but not a must) neighborhood with mature green trees (I prefer a lot of green)

-walkable neighborhood where you see a good number of people (not just one or two) people jogging, pushing strollers, etc.

-I prefer a health conscious neighborhood (organic, fresh restaurants nearby, etc)

-Our budget is 800K-1M

I have been reading a lot about King William and it seems like a great little neighborhood. Any insights?
How about Terrell Hills, Alamo Heights...any others?

Thank you very much!
King William is an historic district near downtown. It's not gated, and this is a big deal. If you want gated, go to the Dominion. Mature trees are the norm.

Nearby Catholic schools: Providence for girls, Central Catholic for boys.

Ethnically diverse - hmmm. Definitely not a sizable Asian population. It's fairly mixed, with no group obviously dominant. Probably more white than some areas but fairly well integrated of cultures.

Walkable - definitely. All. The. Time.

Easy walking access to wonderful restaurants, definitely health conscious (yoga and juice bars popping up...)

That price range should get you one of the nicer larger properties.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks ashbeeigh,

Sonoma Ranch, on the far Northwest Side, has a large South Asian population, and has a gated community within it. I wouldn't call it walkable at all though. In fact, our friends there say it's impossible to simply walk to a neighbor's house behind them, they have to make a huge loop through the neighborhood and drive.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Sonoma Ranch, on the far Northwest Side, has a large South Asian population, and has a gated community within it. I wouldn't call it walkable at all though. In fact, our friends there say it's impossible to simply walk to a neighbor's house behind them, they have to make a huge loop through the neighborhood and drive.

I see lots of people running off of Kyle Seale, though. And by lots I mean a handlfu, not nearly as any as in the Alamo Heighrs/Olmos Park area. (or is it that I just run there and am hallucinating because of all the hills?)

Old 05-23-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I see lots of people running off of Kyle Seale, though. And by lots I mean a handlfu, not nearly as any as in the Alamo Heighrs/Olmos Park area. (or is it that I just run there and am hallucinating because of all the hills?)

Going running is, I think, different from walkability, or maybe I misunderstood the OP's intent.

I see people jogging in most parts of town. In SR, our friends were using the example of how they had to go nearly a mile to get to their neighbor's house who lived on the next street over due to the layout of streets. That's doable on foot, but the point was that the neighborhood wasn't set up with the intention of walking to neighbor's houses. Does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio