Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 04:41 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,003 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide experience with cast iron vs stainless sinks? Love the look of the cast iron (want black), but the prices we've seen quoted by the builder is well, quite frankly, ridiculous! I've heard that the porcelain/cast iron can chip easily and the stainless is durable - but I love the look of the black. We currently have stainless in our present home, but it's a cheap stainless and I want to upgrade in our new home. Would be interested in hearing some feedback.

I've also researched the forums for appliances - black vs.stainless and have heard pros and cons for each...IMO it's 50/50 for black vs. stainless on the applicances....will make a personal preferance (and cost) decision on that one.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 04:51 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
Can anyone provide experience with cast iron vs stainless sinks? Love the look of the cast iron (want black), but the prices we've seen quoted by the builder is well, quite frankly, ridiculous! I've heard that the porcelain/cast iron can chip easily and the stainless is durable - but I love the look of the black. We currently have stainless in our present home, but it's a cheap stainless and I want to upgrade in our new home. Would be interested in hearing some feedback.

I've also researched the forums for appliances - black vs.stainless and have heard pros and cons for each...IMO it's 50/50 for black vs. stainless on the applicances....will make a personal preferance (and cost) decision on that one.

Thanks!
I have had both (various houses). First an almond cast iron, then stainless, now a white cast iron. We are looking to upgrade countertops to granite, with an undermount stainless.

I definately prefer stainless. I have not had trouble with the CI chipping-rather with it scratching and discoloring. My white sink is a bit "yellowed" in spots. I must keep a sink liner in it to keep it from getting scratched=that creates the "gunk" that discolors it.

If you don't have a softener, both a black CI and a stainless sink will be an issue due to the hard water. I would have an upgraded SS for sure. Don't forget the depth, too. 7" is too shallow. Go for 9" at least, double bowl.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:56 PM

Yes, definitely going double and deep on one side - want the 70/30 (I think that's the term) type.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:34 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,279 times
It may even be cheaper for you to replace the sink yourself after you move in with something from Lowe's or Home Depot. That's what we did...we ended up with a granite sink grayish/black in color. Love it! And it is deeper than the cheap stainless steel the builder put in--which had started to rust after 2 years. We also got the 70/30 split and love it too.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:19 PM

Is it a simple process to replace an undermount sink? (by a professional obviously - LOL). Also what about the plumbing fixtures? We were wondering about upgrading those after the build-out but didn't know how it would work with the granite counter tops and the holes cut into the granite (i.e. would they match). We aren't real handy and/or don't know how all that works. Would love to do some upgrades with the fixtures, but the prices the builders charge (probably how they increase their profit margins) are crazy! We figure we can easily pay someone to install some of the upgrades we want + pay for the materials for, maybe, 50% less than they want to charge. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:54 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,279 times
If you're not really handy (luckily DH and I are), it would still probably be cheaper to find the sink you want and buy (just measure everything---sink opening and new sink) and have someone do it for you. It really isn't hard at all.

You may even ask the builder this: you (as the buyer) go buy the sink you want and ask the builder to put that sink in for you instead of the standard one they were going to put in. If they say no, I'd then find out when that part of the project is going to be worked on...then go out and ask the contractor's working out there if you could pay them on the side to put in your sink vs the one the builder was going to put in. Still may be cheaper. Just a thought.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:23 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
I have had both (various houses). First an almond cast iron, then stainless, now a white cast iron. We are looking to upgrade countertops to granite, with an undermount stainless.

I definately prefer stainless. I have not had trouble with the CI chipping-rather with it scratching and discoloring. My white sink is a bit "yellowed" in spots. I must keep a sink liner in it to keep it from getting scratched=that creates the "gunk" that discolors it.

If you don't have a softener, both a black CI and a stainless sink will be an issue due to the hard water. I would have an upgraded SS for sure. Don't forget the depth, too. 7" is too shallow. Go for 9" at least, double bowl.

I prefer the cast iron, although the SS is probably easier to maintain. I grew up with a cast iron sink and never really liked the SS ones I had to deal with once I moved out on my own. When we remodeled our kitchen, I went with an almond cast iron 10"- double bowl sink where one side is larger than the other. It's good when you have to clean large items, such as frying pans, because the sink is big enough to accommodate the size of the pan. To clean the stains off the surface, try using baking soda and elbow grease! The glass cleaner for glass topped stoves may work, too, I've just never tried it. What ever you do, just make sure you get the deeper sinks! They are well worth the cost.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:39 AM

87 posts, read 294,843 times
i have a white cast iron sink that was probably installed when the 40-ish year-old house was built. I think it is very unique since most people have stainless steel sinks, and it is aesthetically pleasing in my kitchen. It is somewhat difficult to maintain a cast-iron sink. You need to use cleansers that are not abrasive and use soft sponges. No sos pads and anything with bristles, I had to learn the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio