Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:25 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
because they base their info on focus groups and surveys. its the link at the bottom of alot of your receipts. it just happens that HEB focused on those who actually took the time...should have taken the time to take the survey, but oh thats right "those surveys are a telemarketing scam"
Actually, we've written to HEB repeatedly about a number of items at their Goliad store which have been removed over the past year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 AM

504 posts, read 1,456,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Actually, we've written to HEB repeatedly about a number of items at their Goliad store which have been removed over the past year.
who wrote? how many?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,882,949 times
I just really wish there were more grocery store options. I don't hate or love HEB, I just am not a big fan of monopolies.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Actually, I prefer HEB Plus over a Super WalMart; but as the Potranco one is still a bit of a drive from where I live, we don't make special trips over there. But it does remind me more of a European supermarket. But despite the fact that I despise WalMarts, I am also a cheap bastard and being that they are close and cheap, we will shop there. However, we have found that making the trip to base (20 miles, half hour) is worth it in savings. You can't beat the BX and commissary for value!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-04-2008, 12:43 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,300 times
Exactly! I live really close to the old Fair ave store and it never had anything and the clerks were SLOW. It shouldn't take 20 minutes to get out of the 10 items or less lane and there's only a few people ahead of me.

Quote:
Problem with the 'new' HEB is that it's no better than the two they're closing.
I expected the McCreeless store to be an improvement over S. Presa and Fair/New Braunfels. Grocery-wise, it's not.

Why can't a grocery store just focus on being a grocery store?
I've never had too much problem finding what I needed at the Goliad store and they have quicker clerks and also self check outs.

IF it would have at least been as good as the Goliad store I would have been happy..if it would have been better than the Goliad store I would had thrilled but no it was a slight step up from the previous locations that they closed down. Basically it's a lot cleaner and has alot more stuff I don't need in a grocery store (furniture, etc..) and doesn't have the stuff I actually go to the store to buy (something as simple as Smart Balance light margarine.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210
this is why i like san antonio, everyone complains that they want "new stuff" and "better shopping" experience. they get it and everyone hates it.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeowo View Post
Exactly! I live really close to the old Fair ave store and it never had anything and the clerks were SLOW. It shouldn't take 20 minutes to get out of the 10 items or less lane and there's only a few people ahead of me.

I've never had too much problem finding what I needed at the Goliad store and they have quicker clerks and also self check outs.

IF it would have at least been as good as the Goliad store I would have been happy..if it would have been better than the Goliad store I would had thrilled but no it was a slight step up from the previous locations that they closed down. Basically it's a lot cleaner and has alot more stuff I don't need in a grocery store (furniture, etc..) and doesn't have the stuff I actually go to the store to buy (something as simple as Smart Balance light margarine.)
hah, that is almost verbatim what everyone I know who's already been there has said. It's cleaner, great. Worth closing down two stores for?

We can buy furniture with our milk. Ok....just what we so desperately need.

I have had issues with the Goliad store, only because they keep pulling things off the shelf - like Quaker brand granola, I always assumed that was pretty common...Plain whole milk yoghurt. For awhile, HEB brand Grapefruit juice + calcium (that's back), a bunch of cookies my DH likes...among other things. Nothing was outrageously 'special'. But it keeps me from spending a fortune at Central Market, and it's near our babysitter, so we go there.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:00 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,300 times
Oh I understand. I have the same complaints about the Goliad store pulling stuff I buy but so far it's not been enough for me to start shopping at Walmart full time. I buy most of my stuff at Sam's anyway. I usually head over to Walmart to get the handful of items HEB did discontinue. Thankfully they are close enough that it's not out of the way...

Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 PM

72 posts, read 230,808 times
Yes VERY little improvement. The only new FOOD items that I would buy would be the multiple Hummus brands and styles, and 1 new style of cereal.
It is the same store with a flat floor, PLUS a bunch of new departments I don't need.

We were all looking for the PLUS to mean "PLUS the selection of the items we go to other HEB's for." And not "PLUS a selection of items for a 'family' community on a budget." Which is what that community is.

They were cutting back on those premium products at the Fair Store way before they opened the PLUS. They got rid of the Organic Raisens, and the Hummus. Why? No one except a few people were buying them. Why stock what does not sell. They aren't trying to get business from further out. They trying to get the Wal-Mart costumers in the community. Budget shopper. Who are the anchor tenents at the McCreless Market? Marshalls, Bealls, Payless, Shoe Carnival, Subway, a 1st run movie theater with the option of a 2nd run format. Budget shopping. The only Premiums store in the shopping center will be a Starbucks. Which is probably aimed at the 1st run movie shoppers.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaertl View Post

They were cutting back on those premium products at the Fair Store way before they opened the PLUS. They got rid of the Organic Raisens, and the Hummus. Why? No one except a few people were buying them. Why stock what does not sell. They aren't trying to get business from further out. They trying to get the Wal-Mart costumers in the community. Budget shopper. Who are the anchor tenents at the McCreless Market? Marshalls, Bealls, Payless, Shoe Carnival, Subway, a 1st run movie theater with the option of a 2nd run format. Budget shopping. The only Premiums store in the shopping center will be a Starbucks. Which is probably aimed at the 1st run movie shoppers.
It's the nearest store to King William/Southtown, which IS a community which tends to buy hummus and organic stuff

Old 08-04-2008, 11:11 PM

504 posts, read 1,456,948 times
then they can drive up to central market and do so...i sat through meetings at the KWA and they were nothing but snobs who forgot that their "community" was mostly lower income.
Quote:
It's the nearest store to King William/Southtown, which IS a community which tends to buy hummus and organic stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio