Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 11:25 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,128,330 times

Advertisements

My equipment must be FUBARD, we are paying for 200, and I can barley get 15. I'm in 78260

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 11:48 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,178,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
My equipment must be FUBARD, we are paying for 200, and I can barley get 15. I'm in 78260.
Make sure that you run the test from a wired connection and that your modem is on the approved list for 300 Mb/s speeds as shown on their website:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/s...buy-modem.html

I'm using an Arris SB6183 which I purchased on Amazon.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:49 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,128,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Make sure that you run the test from a wired connection and that your modem is on the approved list for 300 Mb/s speeds as shown on their website:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/s...buy-modem.html

I'm using an Arris SB6183 which I purchased on Amazon.
I'm on the modem they supplied. That might be the problem

Old 01-14-2017, 12:03 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,178,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I'm on the modem they supplied. That might be the problem
Yeah, it might not be able to handle the speed. They're charging you at least $8/month to rent a modem, so consider purchasing one of the approved modems for about a hundred bucks and it'll pay for itself within a year or so.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:57 PM

422 posts, read 754,060 times
30M on the dial is 300Mb/s that's what I'm getting....btw my brother is in Salt Lake City I was there for Thanksgiving and I experienced his google fiber he is in an apartment lightning fast.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:40 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,104,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Yeah, it might not be able to handle the speed. They're charging you at least $8/month to rent a modem, so consider purchasing one of the approved modems for about a hundred bucks and it'll pay for itself within a year or so.
I'm in 78260 on TWC equipment, wired and just got (paying for 200) 236.35 Mbps down and 23.64 up.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:03 PM

437 posts, read 634,758 times
GVTC lowered their 1gb internet price down to 159 a month. Still expensive but more practical than 300. Lucky for them their coverage area is north of google fiber.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:42 AM

7 posts, read 10,430 times
I live on the southside, 78214, off Division and Flores. I was paying for the ultimate, 300Mbps. I was getting nowhere near that and my net would crawl in the afternoon hours. I called multiple times and had a technician come over. He showed me that my area was sharing 4 Bands and 3 were out of service. Apparently, any given area should be sharing 7 bands? He told me that i would never see anywhere near 300 until those down bands are fixed and that could take months.

Using Speedtest, i saw a max of 150 mbps on a good day and wired. My modem is rated for 300. I ended up downgrading to the lesser plan as i was paying extra for nothing.

Call a technician and verify that 300 mbps is actually possible in your area!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:34 AM

894 posts, read 1,534,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike222 View Post
I live on the southside, 78214, off Division and Flores. I was paying for the ultimate, 300Mbps. I was getting nowhere near that and my net would crawl in the afternoon hours. I called multiple times and had a technician come over. He showed me that my area was sharing 4 Bands and 3 were out of service. Apparently, any given area should be sharing 7 bands? He told me that i would never see anywhere near 300 until those down bands are fixed and that could take months.

Using Speedtest, i saw a max of 150 mbps on a good day and wired. My modem is rated for 300. I ended up downgrading to the lesser plan as i was paying extra for nothing.

Call a technician and verify that 300 mbps is actually possible in your area!
Usually, if you are on TWC/Spectrum, you can point your browser to http://192.168.100.1 and look at the cable modem. It should show how many "channels" on the downstream side you are bonded to. Each channel is capable of 43 Mbps, so to get 300, you need to be bonded to at least 7 (what your tech was saying). I suspect the infrastructure in 78214 is pretty old and I'm betting isn't a huge moneymaker for Spectrum. Spectrum probably is just keeping it limping along to provide basic service, but probably isn't financially willing to make major infrastructure overhauls that they won't recoup. This is an economic and social justice issue in that areas with lesser incomes are getting lesser services from corporate giants like Spectrum (AT&T has the same issues). Google Fiber, on the other hand, had committed to providing fiber infrastructure in underserved areas just like 78214...and with fiber it typically either works or it doesn't. If Spectrum is truly deferring making infrastructure upgrades in your area, I would raise holy hell with them AND I would call it to the attention of your city council district member and get them to engage. Good internet service is an essential element of thriving businesses and education...but I digress!

Old 01-17-2017, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 10,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Usually, if you are on TWC/Spectrum, you can point your browser to http://192.168.100.1 and look at the cable modem. It should show how many "channels" on the downstream side you are bonded to. Each channel is capable of 43 Mbps, so to get 300, you need to be bonded to at least 7 (what your tech was saying). I suspect the infrastructure in 78214 is pretty old and I'm betting isn't a huge moneymaker for Spectrum. Spectrum probably is just keeping it limping along to provide basic service, but probably isn't financially willing to make major infrastructure overhauls that they won't recoup. This is an economic and social justice issue in that areas with lesser incomes are getting lesser services from corporate giants like Spectrum (AT&T has the same issues). Google Fiber, on the other hand, had committed to providing fiber infrastructure in underserved areas just like 78214...and with fiber it typically either works or it doesn't. If Spectrum is truly deferring making infrastructure upgrades in your area, I would raise holy hell with them AND I would call it to the attention of your city council district member and get them to engage. Good internet service is an essential element of thriving businesses and education...but I digress!
Thanks for your reply. I totally agree. I work in a professional setting with a lot of potential to work from home. However, that is not possible due to the unreliability of my internet service. Also, I had to complain and threaten to leave AT&T to get a microcel in my home due to the fact that the towers in my area are half working. Its ridiculous. I will write my council rep asap! Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, I refuse to move. While i am able to live elsewhere, this is my childhood home that was given to me a few years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio