Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:00 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Barkley View Post
A small price to pay for the amount those Mexican Nationals help the economy in South TX. They're also well aware how much they help US economy with their shopping.
Not really, and for the most part they don't pay sales tax either, so they drive on our roads ect... With out paying for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 10:10 AM

785 posts, read 954,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCheckA View Post
I am Mexican American and there is nothing bigoted about what OP has noted. Mexican nationals absolutely walk around with a 'better than you' attitude. Whether it's not respecting personal space, insisting we should speak Spanish to them or driving like idiots. I've seen them walking down store aisles side-by-side taking up all the space and expect me to squeeze by them. In these cases I make sure to square and purposely clip them as I walk by. It pisses me off to say the least. But my favorite thing to do is is let them know I speak Spanish and then proceed to speak to them in English just to remind them where they stand.
My GF told me about the nationals driving on the roads. She would get FURIOUS at times when I was driving and her being Mexican American herself saying "These Mexicans don't know how to drive!" I was at shock lol.

I don't have problem driving, just the personal space infuriates me so much because maybe I feel like they think they are better than me or I am invisible and I am extremely courteous, to a fault, but sometimes I feel like checking people who just blatantly ignore a kind excuse me.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:16 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
I encountered this just last night at the HEB on Bandera and 1604.
Family of 5 blocking the isle...just standing there talking loudly in spanish. 2 of their teenage children looked right at me trying to get by after I said " excuse me" twice. Just ignored me.
The dad wouldn't budge, so I clipped him with my cart and loudly said "excuse me!!" in his ear. Lady coming the other direction told them they were rude.
I'm 6'4" ..it's not like they didn't see me.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:42 AM

25 posts, read 25,204 times
Let's spread the awareness to Mexican nationals, practice saying this:

Con permiso (Excuse me), ustedes estan bloqueando el camino. (and if you're really upset) --> No estan en Mexico.

Pronunciation if you suck at spanish: Corn pear-me-so. ooze-tay-dez es-tan bloc-kay-yando el ka-mee-no. No es-tan en Mexico.
Translation: Excuse me, y'all are in the way. You are not in Mexico.

Puedes por favor moverse fuera del camino?
Translation: Can you please move out of the way?

Less polite way of saying "Get out of my way": SALGA DE MI CAMINO.

My ex-wife used to say "Muevete perra!", which where I come from translates to "Move, witch, get out the way!"

Last edited by Charles Barkley; 07-20-2015 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-20-2015, 10:55 AM

431 posts, read 1,204,339 times
This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me as a (now former) member of Lifetime Fitness. The personal space issue was never more apparent then when I was trying to get dressed in the locker room. Either their physical bodies would be too close for comfort and/or their bag and clothes would be strewn about, taking up the entire bench. And that stuff would remain there, even if they left to go shower or swim. Or to walk around and pace the locker room--completely naked--while using their cell phone on speaker like a walkie-talkie...

Old 07-20-2015, 11:15 AM

785 posts, read 954,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me as a (now former) member of Lifetime Fitness. The personal space issue was never more apparent then when I was trying to get dressed in the locker room. Either their physical bodies would be too close for comfort and/or their bag and clothes would be strewn about, taking up the entire bench. And that stuff would remain there, even if they left to go shower or swim. Or to walk around and pace the locker room--completely naked--while using their cell phone on speaker like a walkie-talkie...
LOL I couldn't deal.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:23 AM

325 posts, read 255,583 times
Most major cities don't have class envy towards wealthy foreign visitors - in major cities, they are welcomed or at worst passively ignored with everyone else. If rich people with different manners speaking a different language at a public retail space are an existential threat to your happiness, you might need more important things to worry about in life than a misplaced swirl of nationalism and class envy.

Somehow, this thread does not surprise me, given how low metro San Antonio sits in terms of average incomes, per-capita metro GDP, overall size of economy, college graduates, passport holders, quality of educational institutions, country of origin diversity, or basically any metric of modern development or growth. I would be thankful you have the geographic luck of being close enough to Mexico to draw in visitors and part-time residents; they certainly help off-set the "brain drain" of native San Antonians who take their careers and disposable incomes to more prosperous cities.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:24 AM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I'm 6' and have experienced it.......but having lived here all my life, I'm also not afraid to simply say in a firm voice "excuse me" and walk on through. I'm not pushing them out of my way, but I'm also letting tham know that they're blocking the pathway, and I *am* coming through. Have never encountered an issue with that, either - I'm certainly being more polite than those blocking the way.
This is exactly how you handle it. It's worked fine for me over the years.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:32 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I dread going to Walmart because of this. Or even worse, a second hand store or a swap meet. The added bonus of being a border town.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:19 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post
Most major cities don't have class envy towards wealthy foreign visitors - in major cities, they are welcomed or at worst passively ignored with everyone else. If rich people with different manners speaking a different language at a public retail space are an existential threat to your happiness, you might need more important things to worry about in life than a misplaced swirl of nationalism and class envy.

Somehow, this thread does not surprise me, given how low metro San Antonio sits in terms of average incomes, per-capita metro GDP, overall size of economy, college graduates, passport holders, quality of educational institutions, country of origin diversity, or basically any metric of modern development or growth. I would be thankful you have the geographic luck of being close enough to Mexico to draw in visitors and part-time residents; they certainly help off-set the "brain drain" of native San Antonians who take their careers and disposable incomes to more prosperous cities.
Someone really does not know what they are talking.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotk...npower-cities/

To add to the others in this thread I HATE when they throw dirty toliet paper on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio