Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times

Advertisements

I've been looking to find someone that can design and build a QUALITY brick BBQ pit/smoker. Not a little one - one about 4' x 8' w - half smoker, half pit, with the pit serving as the heat source for the smoker. If you know anyone, please DM me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 10:07 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Let us all know,

When completed, I will birng a 12 lb. turkey to smoke. Do you use mesquite?
I used to get a very very bank of coals lit by 10:00 p.m. , then have a bunch of soaking wet, well seasoned mesquite put the wet logs and leave the thing and forget about it until 8 a.m. in the morningmorning. IT came out delectible, was delectable I thought and so did a lot of relatives.
Perfectly done and not dry, moist, tender. There was a seventh day Adventist minister attending who had just left the religion where they do not eat meet because of their religious beliefs..well he began to eat this smoked turkey and Let me tell you he could not stop eating ...
A friend of mine just had a pit, built from Steel, cylindrical and and on wheels. $800.00

/
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I've been looking to find someone that can design and build a QUALITY brick BBQ pit/smoker. Not a little one - one about 4' x 8' w - half smoker, half pit, with the pit serving as the heat source for the smoker. If you know anyone, please DM me!

Old 05-22-2015, 06:52 AM

Well, if you've ever been out towards Gruene HD, I'm the feller that built that pit they have.....so, yeah - I know my way around metal pits.......

Thing is, NOTHING will slow cook like brick/stone - the heat retention is impossible to beat. I built a brick pit many, many years ago, and while it did well, the visual results led me to the realization that as a mason, I was a pretty good painter.....

Old 05-22-2015, 07:07 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
When completed, I will birng a 12 lb. turkey to smoke. Do you use mesquite?
I used to get a very very bank of coals lit by 10:00 p.m. , then have a bunch of soaking wet, well seasoned mesquite put the wet logs and leave the thing and forget about it until 8 a.m. in the morningmorning. IT came out delectible, was delectable I thought and so did a lot of relatives.
Perfectly done and not dry, moist, tender. There was a seventh day Adventist minister attending who had just left the religion where they do not eat meet because of their religious beliefs..well he began to eat this smoked turkey and Let me tell you he could not stop eating ...
A friend of mine just had a pit, built from Steel, cylindrical and and on wheels. $800.00

/
I grew up as Seventh Day Adventist and always ate meat except certain kinds such as pork, shrimp, etc. Many do eat meat, some of those eating meat are even pastors (not minister). There is a good fake ham that is commonly eaten among SDA folks called WHAM. It is hard to find but can be purchased at the Laurel Heights SDA church here during their food pantry days. Mike from the 'Green' Vegetarian restaurant used to use it for his "Big Mike" sandwich before he discontinued it.

Anyways, I would love to have a BBQ pit built in my yard but I doubt I will be staying in my current house much longer.

Last edited by Azure110; 05-22-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 03:54 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,532 times
Your going about this the wrong way, you don't need a BBQ pit builder, what you need is a good brick mason. You will probably need to do the basic design work yourself, then have them build it.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:12 AM

30 posts, read 90,358 times
Chuck Stamps 615-975-1735 He's got 30 years experience as a brick mason. As mentioned above, you'll need to do the basic design, then he can build it for you.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:58 AM

After almost a year of calling folks, getting them to finally come out and then never getting a quote from them (literally - SIX times!), I finally gave up - will be building one this fall out of steel!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:43 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
I could give you a recommendation from a relative in the family that builds outdoor kitchens but his business is based in Houston/Conroe/Woodlands area. A lot of times he uses trusted sub contractors for unique jobs like the BBQ pit you speak of. His work is expensive too. Like $25,000 and up for complete outdoor kitchens with smokers, fridges, ice machines, brick pizza ovens, etc.

Did you try any local businesses that build outdoor kitchens for a living?

Old 07-27-2015, 03:14 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Build it yourself,

Out of the native limestone? Cheap.
Quote:
After almost a year of calling folks, getting them to finally come out and then never getting a quote from them (literally - SIX times!), I finally gave up - will be building one this fall out of steel!

Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,532 times
Quote:
I think that is some kind of new business practice, I think they want you to get so frustrated that you either throw out an offer, or accept their bid when/if they finally get around to it. I've been dealing with the same situation recently, only its shipping container that needs to be moved 1/4 mile on the same piece of property, 3 times the same company has sent someone out to look and take pics of the job, I still don't have a quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio