Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 09:37 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Yes, I'm thinking fountains more like the first and third ones. Where is that third one? It's not very attractive in design, but it has an area around it where people COULD congregate. In other cities, people congregate around fountains. All of your pictures are absent any people whatsoever. It reminds me of my posting a long time ago asking for pictures of hip shopping districts, and another member posted pictures of Southtown, and of course there was not a single human being in any of these pictures. It's this lack that gives the impression of SA as being kind of a dead place. Where are the people? Not just for a specific festival or event, but on any normal weekend or evening?
We are inside. It's hot. Still. Oct 1st. Too damn hot to do anything outside. Still!!

::::sigh:::::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 09:39 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Being from the coastal bend (Brownsville area), I always knew that once you drove past the palm trees on I77 to San Antonio, it would be the last time one would see palm trees. Then, I started seeing them in SA, Dallas, Austin, etc. Just a few months ago, I saw them in Canada and Alaska! I'm convinced, those things go anywhere--native or not.
Growing up near Corpus Christi myself, I'll be honest... I always thought the palm trees in SA looked out of place and I never thought it was a great idea. It just looks dumb. They belong in coastal areas.. they "fit".. but not here.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:12 PM

54 posts, read 69,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmommy View Post
1, just for fun..Orange julius
2, even more fun...In and Out burgers
3, My beloved Trader Joes.

I know that OJ and TJ's have been mentioned, but I had to do it again

And for the impossible dream, Cooler summers and more walking hiking parks. I can't do all the hiking and walking in the HOT weather, so it has to be both
Never mind "impossible"...improbable, is more like it. After all, you're in TEXAS, baby!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
We are inside. It's hot. Still. Oct 1st. Too damn hot to do anything outside. Still!!

::::sigh:::::
If it makes you feel any better, FF, it was 102 degrees today in SoCal . And my air conditioner is running right now. At 10:03 p.m. I always tell myself it's better than shoveling snow for 4 months out of the year...

Old 10-01-2008, 11:09 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
If it makes you feel any better, FF, it was 102 degrees today in SoCal . And my air conditioner is running right now. At 10:03 p.m. I always tell myself it's better than shoveling snow for 4 months out of the year...
Problem easily solved..move closer to the coast. When I lived in both Cardiff and La Costa, I never used the AC. I still have rental units there...when a tenant calls with an AC problem, I ask them why the heck they are even using it?

Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Problem easily solved..move closer to the coast. When I lived in both Cardiff and La Costa, I never used the AC. I still have rental units there...when a tenant calls with an AC problem, I ask them why the heck they are even using it?
If you would like to finance my move closer to the coast, I'll be happy to do so

Old 10-01-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
If you would like to finance my move closer to the coast, I'll be happy to do so
Property values are way down in that area now...you should be able to afford it. Depending on when you bought, you might be able to get a place for the same (or even lower) that what you paid for Temecula. Granted, you may have to sacrifice on age or size a little. Can you carry a second mortgage? I would rent your place out since it might be tough to sell at this time.
I'm thinking about picking up a couple of condo units soon...I'm not usually into condos....but they are unbelievably cheap (for the area) now. Units that were going for 500K are now going for 350k-ish. I've even seen some older 2BR/2BA 1200 sq ft units for 300k.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Property values are way down in that area now...you should be able to afford it. Depending on when you bought, you might be able to get a place for the same (or even lower) that what you paid for Temecula. Granted, you may have to sacrifice on age or size a little. Can you carry a second mortgage? I would rent your place out since it might be tough to sell at this time.
I'm thinking about picking up a couple of condo units soon...I'm not usually into condos....but they are unbelievably cheap (for the area) now. Units that were going for 500K are now going for 350k-ish. I've even seen some older 2BR/2BA 1200 sq ft units for 300k.
Daaaaaahling- thanks for the nuggets of wisdom (), but we are a single income family with three kids....no place worth owning is in our price range coastally. The cheapest place to buy right now with good schools and decent sq. footage with a usable yard is.....Temecula. In general, this is a great town. It's just the temps that'll start to get to you....

Hey- you should buy some places out here. Foreclosure Land!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:41 AM

57 posts, read 219,365 times
A police department and sheriff's department that actually do their job.

An NFL team

Old 10-02-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Daaaaaahling- thanks for the nuggets of wisdom (), but we are a single income family with three kids....no place worth owning is in our price range coastally. The cheapest place to buy right now with good schools and decent sq. footage with a usable yard is.....Temecula. In general, this is a great town. It's just the temps that'll start to get to you....

Hey- you should buy some places out here. Foreclosure Land!
Yes, that's true. The thing is, it would most likely be tough to find good tenants there due to the longer commutes. I would guess that most are going down the 15 in the morning. That's a bear!
At least there are some biotechs,Upper Deck Baseball Cards and the GIA (Gemological Institute of America) in Carlsbad that people commute to for the other units that I have. I even have one guy that commutes down to La Jolla..better him than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio