Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:05 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times

Advertisements

The ? is niot what was bt how can we bring the life back to St Mary's Strip- its up to you guys IWC and Trinity U to bring it back. Ditto about Huey's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 05:32 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The ? is niot what was bt how can we bring the life back to St Mary's Strip- its up to you guys IWC and Trinity U to bring it back. Ditto about Huey's
Hey that's a lot of pressure.

And, btw, what was Huey's?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:38 PM

284 posts, read 1,087,310 times
This is pretty silly, but I remember a Halloween night at the St. Mary's Strip in the mid-80's. The crowd was being controlled by barricades along the street. The group on one side of the street was yelling out, "Tastes great!" and the other side was shouting, "Less filling!".

Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglobe View Post
This is pretty silly, but I remember a Halloween night at the St. Mary's Strip in the mid-80's. The crowd was being controlled by barricades along the street. The group on one side of the street was yelling out, "Tastes great!" and the other side was shouting, "Less filling!".

Maybe that was the same night I was there. I remember they had this Halloween festival or whatever and yes the (St. Marys's) Strip was the place to be. If I'm not mistaken MTV was there. I definitely remember seeing Pauly Shore there so if he wasnt there with MTV then he must have just been there to party, BUDDDYYYY.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:40 PM

454 posts, read 505,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maluminse View Post
Some trendy restaurants with bars. Like nonas used to be. Maybe a tapas place, a sushi place an italian place. The kids came for the bars.

with the gay strip club and the band venues Idk. Somebody do it. I bet the property values decreased for the surrounding home owners after the "noise" element left...
There is a tapas place just off St. Mary's, around the corner from Candlelight - Carmen del la Calle. Flamenco, tapas, and sangria. Wonderful!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,603 times
North St. Mary's is still a lot of fun. I live a few blocks from there, and there's always something going on at The Mix or Limelight. I especially enjoy the latter, which has packed DJ nights with soul, electro, hip hop, indie rock, or punk rock. Often a really good, diverse, and stylish crowd--with $2 Lone Star tallboys! Viva!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:55 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
I loved going down to the strip back then. Tycoon Flats had Blues Tuesday's. On the other side of Tycoons was a bar that had the name St. Mary"s in it. Was it St. Mary's Bar and Grill? They used to have Jam nights once a week. Me and another guy were doing a two piece thing back then and one night when we were down there to play one of the news stations showed up to do a story on it. They wound up using us for the video of the music. I was taking some night classes at SAC on Tuesday nights so I would always stop by Tycoons for Blues Tuesdays to have a few beers on my way home. I hated Wednesday mornings back then.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:16 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,120 times
I think my favorite place was La Playa because it had a neat outdoor patio with sand and a nice relaxing atmosphere. Carlos O'Brian's also had a nice bar and restaurant. There were alot of good places to go... too many to remember. I would say that area was pretty close to a mini 6th St. in its heyday but the neighbors prevailed. I don't blame the neighbors... I would not want that kind of situation in my backyard either. It was fairly packed most weekends.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 PM

83 posts, read 358,938 times
Default Good times..

Hueys, Monroes, Whacky's...

Old 01-29-2008, 08:49 AM

159 posts, read 784,924 times
I knew a girl whose family owned Club Spice out there. They also owned Kabooms. I use to work out there at a place called The Music Gallery, this was in 1994. It was owned by two friends who had just retired from the Air Force. I knew two girls that worked there and they said they needed help, so I went. The whole staff was the two owners, my two lady friends and myself, I knew this was going to be FUN. They didnt serve liquor just beer, wine, and wine coolers. One owner ran the door while the other just hung out. My friends and I ran the bar. They may have said it was 21 and up, but it wasn't. All my underaged friends came in there and drank and word spread. If you were 17-20 that was where you went to drink. One time they even had me run the door.....ME. It was only a matter of time before little fights would break out. One night my friend thew a huge party out there, with the party on one end and regulars on the other. After a few hours it turned in a Royal Rumble and guess what we had nooooooo security. Ive never seen a bar fight like that, it was out of a movie....even better it was real. Girls were jumping over the bar and running out the back because everybody was getting beat. My friend who thew his party got knocked out ( out cold ) twice at two different ends of the bar. The fight poured out into the street and the people from across the street at the Crazy Horse (?) came out and cheered them on. I stopped working there after that night, a week or two later someone was stabbed there. The stabbing was on the news and the place closed down. Every now and then a friend will ask me "Man, remember those Music Gallery nights?" or "Remember The Brawl"..... I sure do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio